Can't Keep quiet any more

The itq system is the best management tool dfo has to work with for the commercial sector. Since the itq's has come into place we have never and can never over harvest. so why is that a bad thing?

What??? ITQ's are the WORST management tool. :confused: I think you may be thinking specifically of the quota system. The quota system works, it's the transferable part that will kill the sport industry. If ITQ's are here to stay, all of the guides will become commies and it will start bidding wars, prices will skyrocket and only those with the money will be fishing Halibut.
ITQ's are a death sentence.

Because the DFO did not own that resource in the first place, they had no right to gift it and allow a resale! If it became a yearly allocation that reverted back to the system if not used in that year then I would be ok with it.

The itq system is the best management tool dfo has to work with for the commercial sector. Since the itq's has come into place we have never and can never over harvest. so why is that a bad thing?

Why does there post count have anything to do with the validity of their idea? Looking at your posts I don't think I have ever seen a fishing report either!

Post count has nothing to do with ideas.... it's the intent of posts and when new guys show up. Take you for an example... If you look at your post history you will see you recently showed up. (click on your user name of your post and chose "view forum posts") or click here
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1200781
Does this make you a troll? Well no... but the jury is still out and some of us watch these things.
If you want to stir the pot for your enjoyment we don't need you here.
You want to get involved ... earn our trust then don't make comments like some you made in your history.
Looking at your posts I don't think I have ever seen a fishing report either!
That's because you have only been here since May 2013 while I have been here since Mar. 2007
I mostly post fishing reports on my travels not on my local trips.
My local trips are by PM , email and text messaging.

You want to stay and contribute? That's fine, please do, but don't for a second think you can stir the pot without someone calling you out. You want to talk about Halibut? Fine do your homework and read the threads and the DFO website to get a handle on the issues. Have a question? Fine do a search to see if it's been answered before. Not much fun answering the same question over and over again. Most of us here live busy lives and we still try to get some time on the water. It's just not worth coming here and answering dumb question, correcting mistaken views, countering industry propaganda, Calling BS or whatever.

You and Me are done on this subject.

Thank you for the tutorial on how to search a new members posts

I forgot "troll" was another name you use for people that don't agree. Anyone that formulates an idea that is not the status quo is always belittled and called names. You don't want to discuss this, its you and friends way or the highway.

What would I do? I would make mandatory reporting of all catch data for lodges. I would use that data to formulate a way to properly allocate the recreational quota. I think we would find that the those numbers wouldn't favour them to much. I saw on the other thread that Moutcha Bay Resort purchased 2600lbs at their cost for their clients. Also you will note that their rates did not increase in light of that. So I guess it is possible and feesible that they can still make money at it while doing it, which seemed to be the argument in the past. Maybe everyone in that group can purchase quota at their own cost and choose to either eat the cost or pass it on to their clients. and leave the 15% allocated to sporties to the sporties. Then we could probably have a full season with liberal limits, and they can buy enough to operate in the summer months that are so important them, at their cost of course, and we can go out anytime we want and catch our 2/3 like we used to.

So you are in favor of buying quota from the commercial sector? You agree with the experimental program and want to see it utilized and become permanent?

your wrong it was on the radio and they BLATANTLY advertise it.
and it was a lodge in tofino i was in comox.
and im not surprised.

your wrong it was on the radio and they BLATANTLY advertise it.
and it was a lodge in tofino i was in comox.
and im not surprised.

Baloney..... Nobody in Tofino is involved in that program. We have a real solidarity against the quota buying.

The radio ad in the Comox Valley is not for Tofino..... Combover you are so wrong. It's for Moutcha Bay resort and their other lodge. Its on the radio over and over.... I am sick of the stupid ads.

Glad to hear the charter sport fishing fleet in Tofino is not buying into purchasing halibut quota..stand together as you are making the right choice.:)

In the States and Canada in any other area of the food industry, you can trace everything back to 3 or 4 companies that rule the game.........like beef or chicken for example.

These BIG FOOD companies have lots of political clout.

Now DFO , whether they care to admit or not, are , it seems influenced by whomever is at the top of the seafood chain in Canada.

I know Jimmy Pattison's name is often bandied around as a major player...
He is often portrayed as a good ol' hardworkin Prairie boy who is looked up to......

but who are the others? (besides Norwegian fish farm CEO's)

I personally do not have a clear picture of who we are up against in this department in Canada.

Or exactly how much clout they have.....

Anybody got any links or stats to BIG SEAFOOD in Canada?......who they are, who their political friends are, whether they've ever been indicted or investigated, etc .etc.????

And just exactly what does Mr.Pattison control/own in the seafood/comm fishing department?

Thank you for the tutorial on how to search a new members posts

I forgot "troll" was another name you use for people that don't agree. Anyone that formulates an idea that is not the status quo is always belittled and called names. You don't want to discuss this, its you and friends way or the highway.

What would I do? I would make mandatory reporting of all catch data for lodges. I would use that data to formulate a way to properly allocate the recreational quota. I think we would find that the those numbers wouldn't favour them to much. I saw on the other thread that Moutcha Bay Resort purchased 2600lbs at their cost for their clients. Also you will note that their rates did not increase in light of that. So I guess it is possible and feesible that they can still make money at it while doing it, which seemed to be the argument in the past. Maybe everyone in that group can purchase quota at their own cost and choose to either eat the cost or pass it on to their clients. and leave the 15% allocated to sporties to the sporties. Then we could probably have a full season with liberal limits, and they can buy enough to operate in the summer months that are so important them, at their cost of course, and we can go out anytime we want and catch our 2/3 like we used to.

Agree with your first paragraph then goes downhill from there. So Canadian citizens from say interior bc or Alberta should have to pay for the right to keep a Halibut?!?! Just because they don't own a boat or are able to afford one?

Fish4all the same things can be accomplished by the utilization of IVQ's. Including all the standard justifications repeated over and over such as quality of product,saftey for the fisherman ect ect. This to my admittedly limited understanding was the original conception in regards to managing and correcting the many years of over harvesting that took place in the commercial fishery. This to me if done correctly is a positive management tool that was intended and could be used to the benefit of sustainability of the fish as well as the livelihood of the fishermen.While leaving the ownership of the fish in the hands of the crown and NOT handing it over to the few and the rich .

ITQ on the other hand is a masterful conception thought up by those that realized they could take a good way of making a living and contributing to the local economies and funnel it to those with the most money while narrowing the playing field as small as they can get it Now they export the overwhelming majority of the TAC at record prices and the fewest people possible benefit from it.ITQ is nothing more than a platform for big business to obtain control of the resource be damned the local communities and the working class people who depend on that resource. ITQ is business NOT management of the resourse period.

Any and all things positive that can come of a individual quota fishery can and should come from one which dose not give ownership of that quota to private business but instead provides working fishermen with the ability to make a living while fishing. when one decides to no longer fish then that quota should go back to the crown to be redistributed to the next person.
The only mechanism for transfer between quota holders should be one to address and utilize by -catch. Any other form of transfer between private businesses has no benefit to the fish nor the people who depend on the fish to maintain there living. It only benefits those who own quota. So I will say it one more time in case you where not listening.

ITQ is BUSINESS, NOT MANAGEMENT!!!

I am not against commercial fishing I am against private business being given the ability to own and control the recourse at the expense of the overwhelming majority of Canadians.

Here are a couple links. I feel are again relevant to the conversation at hand.

One is a response from me to the concept of purchasing quota and the other is a good read on the affects of the ITQ on the fish and those who actually depend on their sustainability. I would urge anyone who has not taken the time to read it to do so.

http://ecotrust.ca/fisheries/cautionarytale

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...alibut-Closing-on-the-9th&p=251046#post251046

Last edited by a moderator:
I whole heartily agree. And only the people in business should be affected by ITQ!~

Not sure I understand what you are saying here. I can say this. Sadly the ITQ has negatively affected all Canadians except those who own quota.From reducing and or removing the right to access either by means of lost fishing opportunities or lost economical benefit to coastal communities right down to those who lost the ability to purchase fish due to exorbitant prices driven by big business controls.

Jeeez... It's a re-run. I saw this movie already. I can save all your venom typing fingers a bit of wear and tear ...It ends tragically. The original 1980's movie was called “Divide and Conquer – the Rise Of ITQ's” and I believe this is one of the sequels.

Back