Canning pinks

I hot smoke pink fillets before canning them. It's great for dips, soufflé etc.
T2

Do you need to adapt the brine recipe in any way given that you are going to can the fish after it is smoked? Do you reduce the amount of smoke? I have heard that canned fish can really intensify the smoke and brine flavours.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Yes, I reduce the salt in my brine from 1 cup to 3/4 of a cup. Add 1 jug of Kikkomans teriyaki, 5 or 6 cloves of crushed garlic, 2 lbs of brown sugar, black pepper and any other spices you like. In goes 4 U.S. Quarts of water (I use the empty teriyaki jug to measure) and stir. Throw the fillets in for 12 hours and remove and dry. I do this in my cool basement with a fan on. I reduce my smoke producing time (not to be confused with the amount of time the fish are in the smoker) from 2 hours to 80 minutes,using alder pucks in my Bradley.
Hope this helps.
T2

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I reduce the salt in my brine from 1 cup to 3/4 of a cup. Add 1 jug of Kikkomans teriyaki, 5 or 6 cloves of crushed garlic, black pepper and any other spices you like. In goes 4 U.S. Quarts of water (I use the empty teriyaki jug to measure) and stir. Throw the fillets in for 12 hours and remove and dry. I do this in my cool basement with a fan on. I reduce my smoke producing time (not to be confused with the amount of time the fish are in the smoker) from 2 hours to 80 minutes,using alder pucks in my Bradley.
Hope this helps.
T2
That's a pretty interesting recipe even for other fish-might be a nice change!!

Spring Fever: I forgot 1 ingredient: brown sugar. I use that recipe for hot smoking strips of spring or coho. I add a Tablespoon of cayenne and some chopped fresh rosemary to the brine, but the extra spices are just personal taste. The basic recipe is the pickling salt(1 cup), water, 2 lbs brown sugar, garlic and teriyaki. Those strips disappear like.....smoke!

T2

Thanks -figured we were missing a few ingredients-but I just liked the concept and where you were going with it. Getting a little jaded in my old age-and looked like a good way to step out a bit!! Sharing is fun!! Thanks!

I do not brine, just into the COLD smoke for approx. 1.5 hours. vents wide open or you get lots of moisture from the cold
I also put a pan of ice water in the bottom of the smoke
process at 12-15psi for 100 minutes.
I cut the steaks into the correct size before cold smoking,
then I can in tins following the correct process for canning fish, the tins only get 1/4" of headspace,
Tins need to be evacuated before being put into the pressure cooker, then evacuate the canner for 10 mins, then start your timer, if you want to cheat and not cold smoke 3-4 drops of liquid smoke in your jars gets it done too

Last edited by a moderator:
Back