Can a 4runner tow Striper 2101?

Natepolean

I'm thinking of upgrading to Striper 2101 or the newer 200WA. But I only have a 4runner which is rated at 5000lbs towing. It's my daily driver, so I don't want to get a truck. Spec says striper 2101 is 3200lbs, plus the motor, gas and trailer, will come close to 5000lbs. Do you guys think it's doable just driving to the local launches in vancouver?

I personally prefer not to tow close to the max towing capacity. But that’s just me. I’ve sure done it but it’s not comfortable. Short distances without many hills should be fine. How good is your local launch?

You wanna be no more than 80% of your tow max cap. Trust me I learned through experience towing my suv at 100%. Had one bad experience that made me upgrade my suv. There are things you can do to reduce risk like a weight distributing hitch which helps. I bet the weight of a 2101 with a kicker fuel water and loaded is at least 5500 lbs. Boat 3200, motor 600, kicker 100, trailer 1000, gas 500, gear 500. You might getaway with a 4Runner most days but it’ll be at the edge of its range. You don’t need a truck. A large suv will manage that weight. Ie suburban, Denali etc.

Suburban IS a truck, same platform as a half ton.

We have a late model 4runner linited with the factory hitch, they rate the vehicle for 5000 lbs. Its a full frame suv and I am fairly sure it would be ok around town but if something goes wrong with the trailer brakes I wouldn't want to find out the hard way.

I'm actually surprised the striper weights that much to be honest. Might be worth while having it scaled out.

Oddly enough, the new x5 has a tow rating of 7700 lbs, I couldn't believe it as that's definitely not a full frame vehicle so it must be the style of hitch the Germans are installing.

Btw I'm really hoping we get some better engine choices in the next gen 4runner. Diesel or a v8 like the last go around.

Sounds like it's time for you to buy a 4th gen v8 4runner. If you get a limited model, it comes with rear air bags which is nice when towing. Or a Lexus gx470 which is basically the same car with different sheet metal.

Suburban IS a truck, same platform as a half ton.
Ok, I didn’t know they used the same underlying platform. Suburbans came in 3/4’s till 2013 with a 9200 lb tow cap. The 1/2 ton was 7200 lb I believe. I thought pickups were quite a bit higher tow capacity than the the SUV’s. If it’s the same platform wouldn’t tow capacity be the same? Just curious, maybe SUV’s are underrated?

No doubt, you will need to have brakes on your trailer, if you use surge brakes, a weight distributing hitch is helpfull but you need to be sure that it is indeed compatible with surge brakes. Electric brakes can use the more common style of weight distributing hitch. Maintaining the brakes is a constant chore and of course going to a boat of that weight will nesesitate a dual axle trailer with brakes on both axles. Driving without the legal requirements could land you in a legal quagmire if something untoward should occur. Your not being at fault may have no bearing on the concequences.

It'll work but it won't be fun to go long distances.

I trailer a 20' I/O double eagle that's a similar weight with a 3rd gen 4runner and hated going long distances with it. Now I'm a couple of minutes from the ramp and it's fine and feels perfectly in control but at highway speeds I really didn't enjoy it. It's so close to the limit of the 4runner's abilities that I have to purposefully not catch big impressive salmon, or I'll exceed the weight limit. It's a sacrifice since I'm naturally awesome at catching giant springs, but I'm doing it for everyone's safety.

Anyway you can do it, but I predict you will find it stressful. I really did when I was in Vancouver and stuck trailering from Langley one year. Hated it.

I just bought a new-to-me 10,000 lb boat, and recently sold an 8,000 lb boat. I towed my last boat with a Titan XD that was rated for 9,700 lbs. With heavy heart I just sold my Titan XD and bought a true 3/4 ton rated for 15,000 lbs tow capacity to tow the new boat

Yes, the Titan XD towed the new boat with firm purpose, especially with the new trailer that has E over H
(A really nice towing option!)

So why did I finally make the decision to swap trucks even though the Titan XD towed the new boat just “fine”?

Liability.

Even though I’m sure on flat ground with short tows, your 4Runner will get the job done, in the real world there’s always the possibility that you’ll have to make a panic move while towing. Some panic moves have bad outcomes and you might find out the hard way that the 4Runner was the wrong tool for the job.

In my neighborhood, there are a lot of lawyers who would love to catch wind of the fact that you had the wrong tool for the job when things didn’t go your way and somebody else was impacted

Last edited:
I'm thinking of upgrading to Striper 2101 or the newer 200WA. But I only have a 4runner which is rated at 5000lbs towing. It's my daily driver, so I don't want to get a truck. Spec says striper 2101 is 3200lbs, plus the motor, gas and trailer, will come close to 5000lbs. Do you guys think it's doable just driving to the local launches in vancouver?

For 16 years, I had a 2101 CC Seaswirl with a 200 Honda OB, kicker, SS t-top radar, etc. Total weight with the biggest single axle tuff trailer available was 5600 lbs. I’m sure the Toyota will tow it, but probably not the best idea. You may even run into an insurance issue if you ever had to make a claim. The WA might be even heavier than my Center Consul was.
My 2 cents
Stosh

I just bought a new-to-me 10,000 lb boat, and recently sold an 8,000 lb boat. I towed my last boat with a Titan XD that was rated for 9,700 lbs. With heavy heart I just sold my Titan XD and bought a true 3/4 ton rated for 15,000 lbs tow capacity to tow the new boat

Yes, the Titan XD towed the new boat with firm purpose, especially with the new trailer that has E over H
(A really nice towing option!)

So why did I finally make the decision to swap trucks even though the Titan XD towed the new boat just “fine”?

Liability.

Even though I’m sure on flat ground with short tows, your 4Runner will get the job done, in the real world there’s always the possibility that you’ll have to make a panic move while towing. Some panic moves have bad outcomes and you might find out the hard way that the 4Runner was the wrong tool for the job.

In my neighborhood, there are a lot of lawyers who would love to catch wind of the fact that you had the wrong tool for the job when things didn’t go your way and somebody else was impacted

Good advice. I personally think the 4 runner isn't good choice for towing your new boat. It will be hard on transmission as well.

My Gen4 2005 4Runner with 4.7 V8 is rated at 5000# with factory weight carrying hitch, but rating is increased to 7000# when using a weight distributing hitch.

Love mine for towing close to 6000#.

F D

My Gen4 2005 4Runner with 4.7 V8 is rated at 5000# with factory weight carrying hitch, but rating is increased to 7000# when using a weight distributing hitch.

Love mine for towing close to 6000#.

F D

The following from an RV forum....

....” Weight Carrying vs. Weight Distribution

Weight-carrying hitches, as the name suggests, carry the weight of the trailer. While you can use them regardless of your trailer’s weight, experts don’t recommend them for heavy loads, as the trailer tongue might sink.

On the other hand, weight distribution hitches distribute weight towards the axles and lift some of the burden off the hitch.

Final Thoughts

While it can’t increase your vehicle’s towing capacity, a weight distribution hitch can give you a safer, smoother, and more stable ride. It will regulate the height of the trailer tongue by distributing some weight toward the axles. Sway control, if installed, will also mitigate the trailer’s side-to-side movement.

UNQUOTE

I’m curious: How can a weight distribution hitch increase your towing capacity by 2,000 lbs?

Sharphooks...

Although your quote says that a distribution hitch doesn’t increase towing capacity, I assume manufacturers give different tow ratings for different equipment (OEM & add-ons);

Better brake kits
Better cooling (engine & trans)
Better engines
Better transmissions
Better differential ratios
Better hitches

I also have sway control mentioned in your RV quote.

F D

I suggest you wait until some truck and SUV in electric propulsion come onto the market in 2021. Those engines will tow anything with ease and make a gas or diesel truck look weak.

I suggest you wait until some truck and SUV in electric propulsion come onto the market in 2021. Those engines will tow anything with ease and make a gas or diesel truck look weak.
I'd seriously consider one. Just not that DeLorean cult truck that Musky overpaid to have puked out.

Back