Towing boats and truck limits

Come to the Okanagan valley in high summer. You see lots of too small vehicles pulling too large/ improper set up loads. Best are the guys in mini vans and small SUVs with the giant travel trailers. If you come out of Walmart and your trailers obviously dragging the butt of your SUV down what do you do? Around here, nothing.

I've been towing 6500+ pounds through the Coquihalla, Fraser Canyon, Crowsnest with a 1/2 ton for close to 15 years with different RV/s. One of my RV'ing partners tows his 30' trailer with an Armada without issue... Would it be easier/quicker and maybe more fuel efficient in a 1 ton? sure. but still safe and reliable with my 1/2 ton as long as I hook up proper and take my time.

The weight is nothing new for me and a lot of other 1/2 tons out there. With all that said, towing a boat this size is a new experience for me for sure so maybe it tows differently? So far through the city it's all the same, I doubt it will be that much different on the highway...

but, if you plan to pull the max weight while driving 120k/h and passing other cars and stuff, then ya maybe a 1 ton is for you.

I could be completely wrong about this but I don't think an RV salesman is allowed to let an under equipped vehicle tow a newly purchased trailer of their lot? Of course that could have been a sales pitch.

You can be within legal limits of everything in your set up and still have **** pure performance. A lot of people tow boats that are too long for there tow vehicle wheelbase. There is a rule that says ball to rear axle distance should not be more in terms of ratio than 2.5 of your tow vehicle wheelbase. While I agree brakes are critical, I think that towing beyond your wheelbase capacity is as big a problem. The test of any poorly set up trailer tow package, often not enough wheelbase, is going down a hill on a highway being passed by a tractor trailer rig at plus 80KM. The "bow wave affect" created by the semi will suck you towards its lane. Sway is inevitable. If you have have an improperly balanced set up get ready for some fun and serious focus to correct. If you're going too fast, well, you may lose control completely. This can happen whether you are towing within you max weight limit or not. The best leverage you can have is lots of wheelbase. I am convinced that wheelbase plays a critical role in trailer safety and overall control that is often overlooked

The dry weight of my boat is 7500 lbs. I ran it over the scales recently with full fuel and no ice and it was 12,500 . Don't forget to get your heavy trailer endorsement if your towing over 4600 kg and that overwidth permit never hurts.

Not sure I would trust a drip rail mount to hold on in a full on emergency stop.

Back