Campion 552

Reel Gone

So a good freind of mine calls me tonight and says he's looking for a 552. Does anyone on here have this model ,if so what engine is in it? I know they came with either a 3.0L or 4.3L , is the 3L big enough power for multi purpose use. Will it pull a 200lb+ guy up on ski's or would the 4.3 be the only way to go? Just trying to help him out and appreciate any feed back.

My buddy has this boat with the 3l. Under powered in my opinion 3 guys and rough seas this thing is slow. Great hulls but go for the bigger motor you will be happy you did. To answer your question a good skier could probably get up.

I have a 622 i'll be parting with soon possbly 4.3l
pm me if interested

I have a malibu 185 with a Volvo 3L and the SX leg. Which I believe would be a similar size (18' with cuddy). I do not find it underpowered. Right now I think its slightly underpropped because I can go over 4200 RPM with a full load (3 guys and gear). It tops out at about 35 MPH and cruises around 25 MPH. I took two buddies from Alberni to Bamfield last summer with all the gear for 3 days fishing and had no issue with the power.

I just put trim tabs on it to help with load balancing and keping the bow down in the chop, but if all goes well I might step up the prop pitch to cruise at a lower RPM. Hope that helps.

For skiing, I wouldn't expect to have any issues pulling up a slalom skier, unless they are very inexperienced. That said I haven't taken anyone skiing behind this boat.

Thanks for the input guys, he is going to have a look at one with the 4.3L . Primary use will be fishing but always nice to have that extra jam whe needed.

Back