Camping ideas for this weekend with sockeye fishing?

Just some background. I just moved to BC this summer and I have my kids with me for the summers. We are hoping to get out camping one last time this summer this weekend. The kids desperately want to catch a sockeye as we have eaten it from the grocery store and they are loving it. Anyhow, I was thinking of camping in the Stamp river park and taking them for a day to the tidal portion of the stamp river. Does anyone know if this would be a family/kid friendly area to introduce them to Salmon fishing? If not could anyone here suggest an area that we could camp and get into a sockeye or two? We don't mind driving up to a couple hours from Coqtuilam if need be.
Any help would be much appreciated. Also I need to pick up a suitable combo or to. I was figuring a float setup and a bar setup. Where does everyone buy tackle and rods here in the lower mainland? In Ontario its pretty much Bass Pro, or one of the other 3 larger fishing stores. Seems like around here its more independent shops. Also if anyone has any used gear they are looking to part with drop me a pm.

I would camp out on the Fraser and catch a Sockeye if I were u. Lots of people camp out at Gill rd. Lot cheaper then going over to the island. Freds tackle in Chilliwack, Hubs sports in Abbotsford, Army and Navy in Langley are a few places you can get fishing gear.

Any of you stayed at Kilby Provinical park? Trying to nail down a spot to camp and setup base operations for the weekend. Seems like its First come first serve only though.

Kilby is a nice spot on the Harrison river. If u have a boat you can access the Fraser from there and find a nice bar to fish from for Sockeye.

Any of you stayed at Kilby Provinical park? Trying to nail down a spot to camp and setup base operations for the weekend. Seems like its First come first serve only though.
And probably is already full for the weekend. Lots of people plan their vacations around the possibility of sockeye in the Fraser/Harrison. You may be able to get a spot by going there and being available to get into a spot as soon as someone leaves.

Just spent last weekend over there near Aggissiz fishing for Sockeye. First time ever river fishing and what a hoot! We were fortunate that we had the use of a Jetboat but still saw huge crowds everywhere we went. Lot's of fish though.
Dave

Back