Campbell River Boat Launches Fixed

Bassblaster

Spotted a welcome site on the ocean drive hi-way in CR today. A big -A## excavator and city trucks at the Willow point boat launch. I walked over and talked to the operator between trucks and he said the City and DFO finally came to an agreement regarding maintaing the launches. The City is going to do it. They are doing both the Willow-point and Big rock launches and could have them cleared and upgraded by the weekend. The plan is to make sure they are operational by may each year from now on. They were late this year because of the negotiations.

I have to say the operator was doing a first class job too. When I walked down the lower portion that he'd finished it looked like they'd swept it it was so rock free. Nothin' but a little bit of sand on the ramp.

Hats off to the city for taking the initiative to actually get this done and the great job the crew was doing.

When I was there they had probably moved over 100 logs and other assorted driftwood and the pile of gravel that had built that they'd piled with the excavator since the last time they were ever maintained was probably a good thirty to forty truckloads. The machine operator said they'd already removed close to 30 loads and had called for a second truck to try and speed things up so they could get both launches done before the weekend. In that condition they aren't usable at all. I guess if you're trying to launch a bigger boat they might have trouble, but I think for most guys running 16-24 they wouldn't be an issue. I'll let you know when I put mine in the water.

Back