Cowichan River Boat Launch Improvements

Derby

Crew Member
As Reported by: BCFDF Area rep-Shane Bradley

There were a number of meetings with CVRD, Parks and DFO about the issues with the boat launches at the Sandy Pools site and Vimy Road. The old launch at Sandy Pools had access blocked by three trees which needed to be removed and some of the surrounding rocks. The old site was becoming an obvious safety issue. The Vimy Road site needed to have some larger material dumped to allow for less of a gradient and cover up the can-opener type rock that was visible.

I was able to find someone to supply a machine for the work required and I managed to get in contact with Sean Creally from Aardvark Backhoe, a local fisherman from Cowichan valley, who was more than happy to help out. Sean Creally also has a lot of local knowledge which helped to make this project a success. He supplied a covered gravel truck and PC70 Kamatsu track backhoe and donated some labour as well. A local faller helped out with falling the three trees and bucking them up.

This all took place on September 20 with the combined effort of all parties. We now have an awesome new boat launch just a little ways downstream from the old one with one more gate (same key). The new launch is more user-friendly and has a nice ¾” crush gravel road down to the sandy beach. Thank you to all involved for a job well done. Ryan Dias, CVRD, and Tracey Lowery, from Parks, were great to deal with in putting this all together. Please consider Aardvark Backhoe if you need any septic or backhoe work in the south island area. You can reach Sean at Aardvarkseptic@shaw.ca or pgr 250-743-4214

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
| <°)))>< <°)))><
| <°)))>< <°)))><
|
|
¿ >°)))><

Hmmm, how's Vimy these days????

Has Stoltze managed to weather the erosion this past season.?

Who's the contact for the Keys nowadays? ( CVRD) I have an old set from a few years back and they no longer work.

Who's the contact for the Keys nowadays? ( CVRD) I have an old set from a few years back and they no longer work.

Vimmy has been fixed as well. Not sure how Stoltz is looking.

You would require a couple different sets-PM me and I can send you in the right direction :)

Yes......x2 with the hand bombing thing. Glad they have sorted it out.

A big thanks out to all those involved. Now all we need are some fish.

Awesome!! Good job CVRD, Sean and everyone who was involved. Have not seem that Sean dude for a long time.
Good to see the boys on here again. Nothing like news of the Cowie to bring out the guys ;)

See you guys on the river.

HS.

nice work boys

As an avid steelheader, who has been witness to the cowie collapse since I was a kid, I really appreciate the local volunteers that are making a difference. Thanks a ton guys. good luck this season.
CS out

Just to give everyone aheads up Shane is your area- BC Federation of Drift fishers rep.This is a pretty good organization that is always looking for more members and directors. We are in need of people to become active directors & sit on various Boards and functions -SFAC being just one of the many .If want to get involved with the organization take a look at the website-become a member let them know you would like to be a director. Lot's of holes in area right now that we need people to fill. www.bcfdf.com

If anybody is planning on doing a drift from Sandy down, there is a tree completely across the river just below Sandy. It is really difficult to get a boat around, if not impossible with an aluminum. It needs to be cut. It is not fully submerged at around 1.2meters.

Back