Campbell River Boat Launches

I agree h-core.

I think properly sheltering the launch would be half the battle. It's what makes any harbour successful. Adding to the break water would be the best thing to do, but from my past experience with DFO it would definitely take a permit from them for us to do anything. The Gov't doesn't take kindly to people dropping rock into waterways. The other issue with this would be the expense. Where do you get the rock? Who does the machine work? And who pays for trucking the rock to the site? It's definitely the best solution, but as usual, it's also the most complicated and expensive. We'd have to come up with a very organized plan for that one.

I think this would be a very good long term objective to strive for, but in the mean time just getting organized to fix the huge butt holes in the ramp and regularly clearing the logs would be a good short term target to achieve. As for Ken Forde, I think that one is a lost cause. At least for anything more than car toppers or small trailerables. It was a bad location and design from the get go although I did hear that at one time it was privately maintained, possibly by Ken?, with a bulldozer on a regular basis when it was first built. It's been the lack of regular maintenance for an extended period that has basically ruined it for other use.

Big Rock was the one that was privately maintained, as well as the one just up the road a block. Years ago Bassblaster, those sites as well as the one just before the hill were all Boat Rental places. The classic boats here were small 14-16 footers, with the Whaler or Clone being the most popular. The launches that remain were for the small boats.

The biggest problem at Big Rock is the retaining wall. It could also use a dock for those of us that occasionally venture out alone and don't want to trash our boats. The next biggest problem is that at very low tides you cannot get into Big Rock. Wait til April/May roll around and you will see how far out the tide goes. I agree the breakwall is also a problem, but as long as there is any exposure to the SE'ers wood will find it's way in there.

Gettin rid of all the drift wood around here, now that would be an improvement.

If as much effort was put into filling a couple holes as there is typing and advertizing anouther ramps. The holes would already be filled.

BB, why not set a date and see if you get a couple of fisherman that want to help out for a couple hours. I would not ask any for permission to fill the holes. A few rocks and some gravel will be a cheap easy fix. On a low tide it is already there.

If as much effort was put into filling a couple holes as there is typing and advertizing anouther ramps. The holes would already be filled.

Ah, what's the problem in letting people know that there is at least one decent all-weather ramp in town? I'd hardly call it "advertizing".

Well Clipper maybe for you I should have worded it differently. Or just pointed out this topic was about Bassblaster trying to fix a afordable ramp that many fisherman like to use.

I guess I could have said something like...Like lets keep it on topic....Or I thought this was about fixing a ramp.

Gee, glad you were not condcerned about my comment on the amount of time people are spending typing rather then fixing the ramp.

Hey BB, I recall a couple people have offered to help and I agree with Holmes comment"easier to ask for forgiveness than permission:Dholmes*"

Just trying to point out that there is an alternative to a pot-holey, wood and gravel filled ramp in CR if you're trying to get your boat in the water. If you choose not to use it, fine. I have no ulterior motive, honest.

Hounding Season has begun...Guessing some of you are not out fishing...And soon not prawning. I would be embarassed to let ramps fall apart in which the fishermen of Campbell River have allowed. And who wants to fix it? the new guy. Get off your buts guys and help out.

Bassblaster is new in town and thought we were going to use the Ken Forde ramp till I explained how and when and who uses it. We used the one at Big Rock which had a 2 huge holes in it. One hole that in which popped a tire of another fisherman.

As for the third ramp that costs $10 a use or $200 a year that some won't pay to use...Do we need to repair the FN ramp as well? The one that I think is one of the most coslty ones on the island. Sure it has a dock. But we pay pay pay to use it.

They already have our cash..So they can afford to fix it them selfs.

Back