Campbell River Boat Launches

Bassblaster

Went out with Fishassasin123 the other day and discovered that the launches in CR could definitely use some maintenance. Does anyone know who is responsible for their upkeep? The one we used was close to completely blocked by large drift logs and had several potholes in it that damn near swallowed FA123's boat and trailer.

If it's gtov't maintained at any levee we should get on them to fix it before next season. If it's a private org like a Fish and Game Assoc. I'd be willing to volunteer to help, plus my job gives me access to concrete mix at half price for damaged bags of product. Let me know. Same goes for anyone else that's got ramps that need work. Can't promise enough cement to do a job all at once, but based on what I deal with each month it shouldn't take long to accumulate enough to fix potholes for sure.

The only decent all-weather, all-tide (pretty much) ramp in CR is the FN one in Discovery Harbour. It can get pretty busy in the summer but it's the only one I use.

As for Ken Forde and Big Rock, I'm pretty sure the town looks after them.

The city owns them and does not give a sh$t about us fishermen. The former "Salmon Capital of the World" cannot even provide a half decent boat launch. They do not understand how much money comes into this town from fisherman. I guess this has been an issue for a long time and our politicians don't not really care what the boat launch issues are because they are too busy screwing up the rest of city services. The FN launch is owned by the Feds and is run by Sam Henderson and it is really the only decent launch in town. Ken Forde was designed by some nit wit that has never backed up a trailer (pump house in the way) and the only time you can launch there is at high tide if you have a tin boat. As soon as the south easters start blowing it is plugged with gravel and logs until next may or june when DFO gives the nod for the city to clean it up. The big rock is not bad in the summer time but winter time logs jam it up and it's up to the users to clear a path if they want to use it. We could have used the money Port Alberni got to fix our boat launches and they already have a really good one.

We used the one across from the Husky. What a Pile Of .... I have never seen it so bad. One guy blew out his tire on the hole. Campbell River fisherman should step up if no one else will and fix it up and keep it clean.

Good Work, BB

Ok guys, so that being the case, what are we going to do about it? We can't dynamite the pumphouse, or change the tide issue. But we could get organized to at least keep the launch ramp clear at the launch by Husky and fill in the potholes so you don't lose a boat in them. I'll make the effort to set aside the discounted concrete for the task, and I'll check with management to see if there's some kind of donation HD would be willing to make for any other materials needed to fix the ramp on the basis of community support if there's a couple of other SFBC members that will pitch in their time with me to do the work.

I know it's not our responsibility to have to do this, and I know that this is how Gov'ts at all levels work. IE cut spending and maintenance until it gets so bad that a private volunteer group will step up and pick up the tab and do the work for free. We aren't going to change that any time soon, but in the end we're the ones who will benefit, along with the community as a whole.

I'm willing to take on dealing with the city and the feds so we don't get charged for doing work next to a waterway, and I'll investigate possible solutions to making the Willow Point launch actually work. I'll volunteer my time and some resources.

I need some bodies to help with the work, and to bring the BBQ and food. Who's in?

It's amazing the city can spend $$$$M 'beautifying' a little stretch of the ocean side highway but can't find a few thou to fix the damm boat ramps so they are at least useable.

Sounds like you all up there in Campbell river need to vote a fisherman into city council to get something done by the city. I am really suprised to hear that the ramps are in poor condition considering that Campbell river is a great fishing destination. (I haven't been but have heard plenty about the great fishing up there, wanted to go up there this coming summer, but it doesn't sound like it has great facilities).
The city council needs to be reminded of an old saying, "Build it, and they will come." When they co come to fish, they will spend money! Every time I go fishing, always seem to spend money on something, gear, gas, parts, bait, coffee, beer, food and on and on it goes.

There is one good ramp where you can launch pretty much any trailerable boat at most any time. Good ramp, good parking etc. Cost $10, which I find reasonable. The others are prone to being blocked by logs etc. after any stormy weather and may or may not be cleared by the city. There was an environmental (?) issue with DFO (or whoever) re: removing debris from the Ken Forde and Big Rock ramps but I thought they had reached an agreement on that.

Thanks h-core. I appreciate it.
FA, the thread pretty much died when no-one got back to me about actually being able to pitch in. I wasn't prepared to expend my energy on something that would benefit everyone without any additional assistance or input. After all I've done and learned in my life I can care just as little about a good cause as the next guy. Now if there's a group of people who are willing to pitch in as well, well then I'll beat the drum the loudest and be at the front of the parade. Like I said in an earlier post, I'll handle the city and DFO IF there's a group of guys out there willing to help out with the actual repairs and regular maintenance. As for the store, I haven't talked to them for exactly the same reasons.

If this is truly the response and attitude towards the launches, I can understand why the city has decided to ignore them: no-one cares about them any way. If you want a city/community to maintain something with tax-payer dollars, you had better make damn sure that those running the show know it matters. I would hazard a guess that if a large group of recreational boaters and fishermen showed up at a city council meeting, pre-arranged of course, and presented logical and compelling arguments regarding the financial benefits to the community that having the launches properly maintained would do, they would seriously look at opening the purse strings.

Until it Matters, it doesn't matter. This goes for any other topic we vent about on this site.

In the mean time, if anyones interested, then I'm still interested.

As another Southeaster blows here in Campbell River, it is hard to understand how anyone can expect Big Rock and Ken Forde to be kept in perfect condition all winter. Ken Forde is designed for cartoppers at best, anyone launching more than a 14-16 footer is not going to do well. Both ramps are exposed to the frequent southeasters we get and you basically take your chances this time of year. That said, once winter spring fishing starts here usually after Boxing Day, there is a pretty decent effort by the people using Big Rock to keep it clean of logs. Both lauches fill with sand and gravel from all the storms. There is no charge to use them, so who do you expect to continually pay for the cleanup and how much needs to be spent for a few boats to launch for free? There is a perfectly good all weather launch at Discovery Harbour at a reasonable price, even cheaper if you buy a pass. I appreciate a free launch as much as the other guy, but at the end of the day what makes Big Rock and Ken Forde a problem are location. When the weather improves they are again cleaned out and provided free of charge to the boating and fishing public. In the meantime there is a very good launch still available. If you have ever been caught at Big Rock or Ken Forde when the weather changes, you would gladly pay your $10 for DH. It is not apathy but reality that is the real problem. They are not all tide or all weather launches and they never will be.

Hey Seawolf--- I didnt know that annual passes were available at the DH ramp. How much are they?
Thanks

As another Southeaster blows here in Campbell River, it is hard to understand how anyone can expect Big Rock and Ken Forde to be kept in perfect condition all winter. Ken Forde is designed for cartoppers at best, anyone launching more than a 14-16 footer is not going to do well. Both ramps are exposed to the frequent southeasters we get and you basically take your chances this time of year. That said, once winter spring fishing starts here usually after Boxing Day, there is a pretty decent effort by the people using Big Rock to keep it clean of logs. Both lauches fill with sand and gravel from all the storms. There is no charge to use them, so who do you expect to continually pay for the cleanup and how much needs to be spent for a few boats to launch for free? There is a perfectly good all weather launch at Discovery Harbour at a reasonable price, even cheaper if you buy a pass. I appreciate a free launch as much as the other guy, but at the end of the day what makes Big Rock and Ken Forde a problem are location. When the weather improves they are again cleaned out and provided free of charge to the boating and fishing public. In the meantime there is a very good launch still available. If you have ever been caught at Big Rock or Ken Forde when the weather changes, you would gladly pay your $10 for DH. It is not apathy but reality that is the real problem. They are not all tide or all weather launches and they never will be.

Well done Seawolf.
Other than the loss of the launch off the Spit and the addition of the Discovery Harbor all weather one, virtually nothing has changed from what you've noted for at least the 48 years I've been around.
You said it very well.
Thanks.

Take care.

Yep $ 200 no taxes

You've got a really valid point Seawolf. There's just one thing. At least there are two free launches here. What happens to your annual fee, or day pass for that matter, when there is only one launch available, and no other options? If nothing else having at least one of these open and maintained will keep the pay-for-use launch to a reasonable cost. Monopolies are a bad thing for the consumer. That's why they are illegal. But try to prove it. Sure, you could drag the boat out of town to launch at one of the other public launches, but then the cost of fuel makes it more money, so you end up paying the higher price at the pay for use one. Just another excuse to raise user fees.

Can't disagree with your other arguments though. The sites were both poorly selected and designed. Maybe they should have asked someone that actually uses boat launches for some input?

Big rock would likely be OK if the breakwater was fortified. It shouldn't be an issue with DFO as the structure is already there. If it were high enough that logs didn't get tossed over, it would be easier to keep clear. What are your thoughts on that?

Back