camp return motors

scott craven

What do you guys think of "camp return" outboards ?
seems you can save approx $1500 to $2000 on one of the camp motors.
opinions ?

Cheers All,

I purchased a camp return Yamaha 90 hp with low hours a couple of years ago. I felt I got a fair return for my money and would not be hesitant to power that way again. It was as advertised and ran excellent with NO problems for the next 2 years until I sold the boat.

My next boat I bought a NEW Yamaha and it blew up in 87 hours (write off) and the ordeal was a total pain. Go figure!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

My neighbour bought one about 3 years ago,no problems so far.The only ***** he had was about them HAVING to do "Warranty Work" on it.Oil changes etc.Check that part out I would suggest.Dan

All the Yami camp returns at SG get all issues repaired with new parts before they are resold.

my outboard was from a tofino nature watching boat, came with a complete rebuilt and 1.5 yr warranty. Price was very economical and it runs flawless. Most newer motors can spit out the computer print out which will show the hours at different rpm's and if it threw out any codes like overheating or such.

quote:Originally posted by C.S.

One thing to think about when buying "camp returns"is guys like me...
Myself and a few buds visit a different self guided lodge every summer,we beat the living $hit out of those motors,full throttle only,all the time,forward and reverse!Shallow water racing till "something"slows the boat[:p]
Drunkin races back to the lodge fully trimmed till the rev limiter is screaming[:0]
Now think about 3 months strait of that...are you still saving $1500?

th_P4150080.jpg

Sounds like fun ! ....Ok when is your next trip ? I wanna join you guys ;) lol

I thought about getting one a few years ago, then decided not to. The hours on them were pretty high. The low hours ones were all reserved for boat/motor packages. The others were all above 1000 hours, which is a lot in a short amount of time. Despite the supposed care and attention given, the discount from new did not seem to be enough to justify the possible abuse.

For a 60hp that I was looking at, there was no computer on it to show its use pattern...only in larger motors. Not sure if that's different now.

on the newwer one ask to see what the computer off the motor says they hook a laptop on it and it can tell at what rpm it has been running at

Back