Butt End of Technium reinforcement

Pippen

Hey Guys,

Not sure if anyone has any ideas but I have a couple of Technium's and one of the "rounded" butt ends has started to get a bit of flex in it right above the butt piece. Essentially where the metal sheath/ring wrap around the cork and then the rounded butt is attached there.

It is not a huge issue but rather than have it possibly break while fishing I was trying to figure out how and if it could be fixed? When comparing it to the other end it certainly does appear that something has come loose or cracked underneath the housing there.

If I need to go the route.....does anyone have a recommendation somewhat close to Vancouver of anyone who can do a repair such as this?

I haven't taken a ton of time to look at if the butt end can come off and if I could even fix things up with epoxy but thought I would check.

Derby....I know you're familiar with these particular Techniums; do you know if I can get the butt end off fairly easily and look at what may have snapped/cracked inside? It doesn't seem to unscrew or anything like that and I don't want to yank on it for fear of making more of a mess than there is. :eek:

Duct tape would look ghetto.....even if it WAS pink! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Warranty no?
Deeerbbby where are youuuuu?

For the Sportie use guys, I believe that is warranty. Shoot me email of the type and I'll tee up a new one for you.. We do have a commercial repair for the lodges that RVP came up with 7 years ago. I get a pic and post up here shortly. Sorry Pippen the repair doesn't come in Pink... ;)

this works good.....

Attachments

• 20140319_160346.jpg
    20140319_160346.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 156
  • 20140319_160422.jpg
    20140319_160422.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 156
Hey Pip, I would do this......
Drill a small hole in the end of the butt that runs parallel to the blank, the hole size needs to be big enough to get the tip of a disposable syringe into.
Mix up some good epoxy (the longer the cure time usually the stronger the bond) and put it in a syringe.
Inject enough epoxy into the butt and the blank to fill the void an inch or so up past where the cork starts.
Put a piece of masking tape over to hold the epoxy in while it cures and stand the rod vertical.
The epoxy once kicked will make it solid again.
If you out in the ridge area I could fix it up for you, give me a pm

I had the same problem with the cork on my technium. I just gorilla glued on a chair leg cap (to reduce floor scratches). It may not be beautiful but it has held up so far and it was cheap as borscht.
technium fix.jpg

Back