Abu Garcia Diplomat mooching rods

Squire

This may seem like a stupid question but I can’t find any info online so thought I’d tap into the experience of the SFBC community:
I have a couple of these 10’6” mooching rods and they have a thick plastic sleeve over the butt material that looks like some kind of carbon fibre. My question is if the plastic is part of the construction or is it just protective packaging meant to be removed before using? Thanks for looking.
E7197F47-801F-4D6D-84DB-BCF4E97D86CE.jpeg

Those are carbon sleeves that are glued onto the rod blank. At the bottom that's an aluminum plug glued into the end of the rod blank as well.

It looks like it should come off. It's protection for the carbon fiber during shipping. You can tell if it's a sleeve or the clear coat. Some leave on the cork .... i dont know why

Last edited:
The plastic is a heavy sleeve that seems a bit too thick and hard to just be packaging. It does not slide or turn against the material underneath either like it may have been heat shrunk on. This is why I’m asking what others have done before trying to cut it off😁

👍 I’ve left it on for the couple of seasons I‘ve used these rods but after handling some other carbon fibre type rod butts with a completely different look/feel it made me wonder.

I think PNT supplies those to the Big Coast show. They may know for sure. I hear you. Would be embarrassing if you were doing the equivalent of leaving plastic wrap on a couch.

I think PNT supplies those to the Big Coast show. They may know for sure. I hear you. Would be embarrassing if you were doing the equivalent of leaving plastic wrap on a couch.
What a coincidence! I started watching a recorded episode of Big Coast from tonight and they were using these mooching rods. The pic below is a screenshot from pausing the program and clearly shows that the plastic is on the handle. Mystery solved😁
51CC4CFB-EC74-42FC-86F3-B3B326EEF51C.jpeg

Back