Building a smoker

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Hey Guys

so over the Holidays my Bradley suffered a major grease fire which melted and burn it pretty badly. I have been thinking about building a bigger smoker for a while so this is the time to do it. If you where going to build the smoker of your dreams what would the construction look like?

CPM

Hey Guys

so over the Holidays my Bradley suffered a major grease fire which melted and burn it pretty badly. I have been thinking about building a bigger smoker for a while so this is the time to do it. If you where going to build the smoker of your dreams what would the construction look like?

CPM
Many years ago I built a wood smoke house about the size of a small outhouse, with wire fridge racks and a rock enclosed fire burner located about 6' away and a pipe for smoke leading to it. This was before you could buy a Bradley or Little Chief. Worked like a damn for years. Finally decided to do away with it. Opened the door and lit a fire in it. The fire roared up the sides and shot out the roof like a blow torch! You would have thought someone had poured gas in it, but it was all the fish oil that the wood had absorbed over the years. Off topic, sorry, but your post brought back a memory from the past. I would go with Roy's smoker if I were you.

I just use smoke tube 20bucks on Amazon and then use my bbq, its to easy sold my smoked and bought new fishing rod instead

Roy's smoker is grand but where do I get a Stainless steel box from....
I found it on used Vic ive seen quite a few over a bit and mostly free
phone somewhere like WCL or old fridge repair places the compressors go and they are expensive so they usually trash them or even ask a recycle place?
you will have to do some searching maybe even hartland dump in the old fridge pile while your there grab some oven racks thats what I used.
Good luck Wolf

Been searching haven’t found anything yet. Wolf is yours just a stainless shell or do you have stainless inside and out with insulation between?
yes insulation inbetween a SS skin both ways, your more then welcome to come take a look at the beast its running 2 or 3 times a week.

Did you ask WCL if they had a dead one out in there old yard???

Ill add one thing about smokers is bigger is better , if you stuff a smokers full of product, especially pepperoni, summer ,garlic,smokies etc and there ist a few inchs of air space between the product it takes forever to dry the product to smoke. Im good at 40 lbs but if I go to 60 my heat time is almost double.. this is only one case in point when bigger is better LOL

So I have been looking for a while for something to convert to smoker. I finally found the this unit, a fully functional gas commercial oven. It needs a bit of a clean but I can handle that. Plan is to drill a 4" hole in the back and connect the Bradley smoke generator with an aluminum flex pipe. Looking forward to giving it a try in the next few weeks!

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpeg
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0072.jpeg
    IMG_0072.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 66
So I have been looking for a while for something to convert to smoker. I finally found the this unit, a fully functional gas commercial oven. It needs a bit of a clean but I can handle that. Plan is to drill a 4" hole in the back and connect the Bradley smoke generator with an aluminum flex pipe. Looking forward to giving it a try in the next few weeks!
Nice, where did you find that?

Mine is somewhat similar to Roy's, except it is on wheels (and a good thing it is due to the weight!)

8SDrIpG.jpg

GGSnbDY.jpg

Cold Smoke set-up:

HcvXzjd.jpg

This is an older Hospital Food Warmer. Old school stainless (damn tough to drill) sandwiching extremely dense insulation.
Hit smoking it is run by one or two electric burners and a PID system. Cold smoking piped in from a Bradly unit as above.

Works EXTREMELY well and is the last build I will ever do,

You can find the shells from time to time on government auction sites.

That oven above looks good btw. What are the dimensions?

Cheers,
Nog

Hope someone around there can take advantage of this great offer!
If someone does and needs advice regarding the build, feel free to pick my brains on the matter.
Built a few...

Cheers,
Nog

Didn’t you @IronNoggin post one you build years ago? A huge smoker that looked somewhat like an outhouse. Maybe not super practical but I recall it being a pretty sweet setup.

Back