bucktail fly

Discus

I have bunch of bucktail flies. I would like you share with me about your experienced with a buck tail fly. I would like to try with the buck tail fly for coho fishing at Sooke or go to west.

What would you recommend to use it and how to use it? I have a flying fishing rod its 8 wt with floating line.

Thanks
Discus

I've used bucktail flies a couple of different ways - behind a flasher (with a fairly short leader to give it action) off a down rigger with a conventional rod and reel. On a fly rod, I like just trailing the fly in the prop wash for coho. When coho are thick, this is a very fun way to catch fish.

Fishing them in the boat wake is a blast! Cut the front hook off. We also use to fish Springs with them with about a 4 oz. banana weight and an abalone spinner in front. Very sparse fly with, long natural polar bear with some pink was the go to.

Don't cut any hooks off.. They are there for a reason.. 6 ft leader of 10-15lb test to a swivel or fly line.. I use the famous cowichan abalone spinner which they don't make anymore but you can use a silver willow leaf spinner in front of the fly.. 1oz weight to get in down a foot or no weight and in the prop wash or 10-15 pulls back.. Rule of thumb is bright flies for overcast days and dark flies for sunny days.. No fish on the bucktail for me this year but last year hit 11 big hoes.. I have also in the past pinned them to the down rigger and fished them with no flasher and using a dummy flasher set-up.. Good luck !!

What fins said. I have only managed 2 fish this year in the wash and both were just small 4 pounders. Some years when the bait is up high it was the best rod going double digits some days. I have watched the little domes of water there heads push come from all sides and form a super school on my fly and got 8 fish in an hour the school never left the wash! Sometimes you would have 4-5 fish swimming and attacking the fly in the fishes mouth! So cool!

I keep setting my 8 weight in the wash and still nothing yesterday or today. But its so worth the rush of seeing that rod curl and knowing its on!

I would fish all of those flies and would not remove and hooks. We can keep 1 wild 1 hatch so why lessen your chance.

-KK

We long line troll them on the big Interior Lakes for Rainbow, 100 feet of mono line on a fly rod and reel with 75 feet of backing all let out.

Last year we had just limited on Hali's about 7 miles off Beale and we had fired the bbq up to enjoy smokies and sunshine. One of my crew had his fly rod along and wanted to try it so we started a slow troll back to Bamfield. The bucktail had not been in the water a minute when it was hammered by a coho followed by another a few minutes later. Soon we had all the salmon rods tied up with bucktails and laid out a spread similar to our tuna technique. The action was fast and furious for a couple of hours with several multifish hookups. As proven by the number of coho caught on Tuna gear this year, the coho don't mind chasing down a surface lure trolled faster than your typical trolling speed. Great way to spend a sunny afternoon!

Had my first hit this year on the Radiant Autumn bucktail.. Thats the orange colour one.. Im hearing reports of coho on the surface but not a lot luck for me this year yet.. I'm going through all the colours trying to find the flavour of the day..

Put in another 11 hours on the weekend without a strike on the surface rod :( But they do strike on the riggers at 30-40 ft

-KK

You must make sure your fly is tracking straight up and down at the speed your trolling at. If your fly shifts to one side or is spinning that is not good. Always drop your fly in the water and watch it run at the trolling speed to. Are sure it's working correct. The front hook is there to be a rudder you can bend it a bit to make sore your fly is tracking straight. Almost always will catch the fish on the rear hood but that front one is to be used as a rudder

When fishing in the wake on the surface in the wake cut the front hook off. It will track better. (where's the rudder on a boat?)

Leave the front hooks on those big bushy flies to fish a little deeper (and slower) for springs. They may take the front hook.

1st page left side 2nd from bottom need a rinse in fresh water after fished. get out there and get a ho on the holding beaches renfrew has some lunkers like what BGM said on the 27 for fresh. changing darker color for pink for ho's .love that fly.buck tailing the others are good but spooks the fish if the fish are not traveling hence what bgm said ,and constant pressure will make them tight lipped sooner in the season .expect to replace the fly if casting out too close to shore.

Well 3 fish on the Ginger Jake Bucktail this weekend.. Thats the orange one.. Sorry thought it was called Autumn... My Bucktails all spin with the Cowichan spinner attached so no tuning nessasary..

Back