bottom bouncing

P

philharriss

Does anyone here bounce weight or ? off the bottom when fishing for winters? I was told that stirring the sand up will attract salmon thinking it might be needlefish.IF SO how long a leader from the cannon?

Thanks in advance. :D

Excellent question! If you take a hali 2# ball and run around 3 feet of 40# test mono from your C/B to the drag weight you should be fine. It goes without saying for you to pay close attention to your sounder for depth readings.
Good luck and let all of us here know how you made out. :D

Didn't know you are also a soliloquist! But actually very good that way. Just stick to your own threads, MrTrailer!

If you are not bottom bouncing you don't know how far off of bottom you are. Today at the KC Hump was good 200-240.:D

Please stop feeding the trolls by responding to their inane remarks, simply ignore them. If you think that someone may take their erroneous information seriously, post the acronym "YHBT". This is short for You Have Been Trolled. This will let people know not to take these problem posters seriously, without fueling the fires.

quote:Originally posted by philharriss

Does anyone here bounce weight or ? off the bottom when fishing for winters? I was told that stirring the sand up will attract salmon thinking it might be needlefish.IF SO how long a leader from the cannon?

Thanks in advance. :D

Not sure if the "stirring of sand" effect attracts them, but the loud thump of the downrigger ball banging off the bottom when you put the boat in neutral certainly does! Very common "trick" down here for us called "Ringing the dinner bell."

www.CaptainDownriggins.com

Capitan, i have done that by accident before! and it works!

But the one that i like to do is send my electric riggers down tho the bottom and then wait a few mins and then hit the auto retrieve button, and wait. The winters seem to strike after about 20-30 feet of retrieval. I love this method on days when they are aggresive! have hit 4-5 this year like that! Weather has to be nice for this though!

-Steve

Tried bottom bouncing last season for hali's, and Yeah! We got some.
We went into the docks so full of excitment about our great catch, and looked into the boat of someone else who was in the exact same area, fishing the same amount of time & BAM! Deflated! [xx(] They had hali's, ling's & springs. Everyone had limited out. We were still happy we finally caught some fish, but man, that was a wake up call so do so much more.

So, maybe someone can tell me how they do this????? Fish for both the hali's & springs at the same time?

At the same speed and depth?
Do you clip hali gear right on the ball, and spring gear 20' up?

I'm going to be fishing the Uki area this season (hopefully 5-6 weekends) (and if my wife lets me take my #balls# out of the drawer), maybe even more. Cheers to all, & Happy New Years.

Same gear and depth (bouncing bottom) takes both serenity. Plugs, hootchies and particularily spoons, fished right in the mud will attract both springs and hali on offshore banks. Speed is not an issue as you go as fast or slow as permits as long as you are in constant contact or near bottom.

If you find a productive location you should have no problem catching a mixed bag on the same set-ups.

quote:I'm going to be fishing the Uki area this season

Try Southbank - 135/ft. Bounce bottom with anchovies. I have done quite well there bouncing bottom! When you think you've snagged the bottom, set the hook and get ready to reel like crazy! :)

quote:[ (and if my wife lets me take my #balls# out of the drawer)
in the drawer???
ma balls are in a wee box on the fireplace so i can at least look and play now and again...hahhahahahahahhhahaha

as for bottom bouncing. i usually have my clip running 5 ft off the ball for salmon and for hali right off the fin of the ball.
only caught one hali doing that but for springs limiting out everytime.....
goood luck and hopefully the wind calms down so we can fish

iscootblue.png

When fishing for both Salmon & Hali's on the same downrigger, what does your set-up look like?

Maybe something like this????
on bottom - no flasher, just a lure or bait
on top - flasher & lure

All info strickly confidential - of course [^]

Ignore the trolls, bottom bouncing does work. Drop em down till you hit the mud, wait about 30 seconds to load up the rigger wire and drop em again until you bounce. Sit back and wait for the fun to start.....hali's, lings and chinook.

I have read the 13 posts in this thread twice yet find no mention from ANYONE that bottom bouncing doesn't work.
Where are you getting your info from? trolls continue to do their damage even when banned. I guess that why they are referred to as magical. :(

Persons who frequent this site and wait until they can start with what appears to be a serious comment or question then quickly turn on someone with a sarcastic or demeaning remark and slash at anyone who starts to defend or question their integrity.
Why do they do it ? who knows , lack of attention as a child , MPD ? ? ? ?
Look back through some of the older posts and see "cooldude" , "philharris" , "silverbullitt " etc they will start out with what appears to be a sincere question and rapidly turn it into a character assassination.
The problem remains that they are usually low post number contributors which makes those who have been on the site for some time very wary of the new people much to both sides detriment !
It would seem their only goal in life is to destroy sites like ours for amusement , pretty sick !

AL

As much as I agree with you Al in a way I also feel kinda sorry for that kind of person. What makes someone treat complete strangers with such rudeness and at times hurtful statements? I'm glad that the moderator/s have taken care of the problem.
Back on topic I have a question. When bouncing bottom one must have good knowledge of the ocean floor where they are or else a un-noticed snag could spell disaster. Has anyone a story of such a thing happenning? I could have started a thread on this but my ? seems to fit this thread. yes?

I have a friend that found a Scotty DR when he was diving. That could be a danger of bottom bouncing.[:0]
I have tried it and have had some success. Just another way to scratch up a fish when things are slow. GLG

Thank you for telling me what a Troll is.

I have found there are those who really do know more than the rest - These are the guys who have spent alot time on the water, caught lots, released lots and they really know their stuff. These are the guys I call Real Fishermen.

Then there's the group of guys that are "Weekend Warriors" who, try there best, catch some fish and have fun doing what they can. We too are fishermen and have a huge passion for fishing and respect the Real Fishermen who help guide / teach us how to do things.

I know there's also the group who Loves fishing, but just don't get out much or for whatever reason, are as avid fishermen as they'd like to be.

From My side of things, I certainly respect the guys to moderate this site, and have put this site together for all to enjoy - Real Fishermen, Weekend Warriors & Others.

So A BIG THANK YOU to all who are the Real People of this site, you have helped me (and lots of others). I hope that you continue to trust some of the newbies to the site, because we are sincere, and respect your opinions and you as fellow Fishermen.

I am so sorry to see these "Trolls" doing damage. I find it appauling and would hope that they could understand that respect is earned.Those that are "Trolls", Go Elsewhere. You are not wanted.

Back