Boating Books - list you favourites and expand our reading lists

Bill 310

Crew Member
I am a bit of a bookworm and as part of our Boat Build I have been amusing myself by finding and reading well written books on just being on the water.

Thanks to this forum I have learned about some great books and I thought perhaps this thread might be a good way to create a reading list for all who are interested

First off

Living with Weather along the B.C.Coast" by Owen S. Lange​

1633357785001.png

and also from Owen S. Lange​

1633357861645.png

I would never have found these jewels if not for this Forum/

Next up we have another book I first heard about here

Local Knowledge: A Skipper's Reference -- Tacoma to Ketchikan Paperback – May 1 2001​

by Kevin Monahan

1633358172931.png

Local Knowledge A Skipper's Reference

by Kevin Monahan

This reference guide for the pilot house is an assortment of valuable navigation tools including over 50 pages of handy distance tables between all of the major ports and anchorages for navigation planning between Tacoma and Ketchikan. It includes strategies for challenging the currents in places like Johnstone Strait and the Yucultas, conversion tables, time, distance and speed tables, weather reference data, radio procedures and frequencies, and a number of useful information resources to answer many of the questions that come up while underway. Written by Kevin Monahan, an officer in the Canadian Coast Guard, and former fisherman and delivery captain, this book provides the local knowledge to simplify navigation and safe passage from Tacoma to Ketchikan.

“A must-have reference for the skipper of any boat traveling the Inside Passage”

Last edited:
Now for something lighter.

BoatSense: Lessons and Yarns from a Marine Writer's Life Afloat​

When the first story deals with a months long battle to the death between a London dock mate of the author's and a Rat who has moved into said neighbour's sailboat, you know this book has promise,

Are you dreaming of becoming a boat-owner? Are you a new boat-owner with a lot of questions? What if you could get expert and entertaining advice from a sailor and powerboater who has spent a lifetime testing and writing about boats and boat gear, and experiencing first-hand the joys and trials of owning them? Here’s what other experts are saying about Doug Logan’s BoatSense:

I only wish Doug Logan's wonderfully engaging and instructive treatise had been around 20 years ago... Warm, accessible, and wickedly smart, BoatSense is an instant classic.
― Nathaniel Philbrick, author of In the Heart of the Sea and Second Wind

If you are even remotely interested in boats, you need to read BoatSense.
― Ed Sherman, author of The Powerboater's Guide to Electrical Systems

Good sense and good boats have rarely been so clear and entertaining.
― John Rousmaniere, author of The Annapolis Book of Seamanship

BoatSense is #1 in the Book Authority's list of the "15 Best Boating Books of All Time"

In BoatSense, veteran sailor and writer Doug Logan speaks directly to those who have been bitten by the boating bug, but who may be overwhelmed by the complexity of the game and by the amount of information available. His mission is not to give all the answers, but to provide a way of thinking about the issues involved in owning and operating a boat safely and happily. At the heart of his advice are simplicity and the habits of good seamanship. His reflections would have brought a smile to experienced mariners of the past, and no doubt will do the same for mariners of the future.

Learn about the mindset of seamanship in the chapter called Walking the Beat. Understand the importance of maintenance and your own DIY skills in Embrace the Hacksaw. Think through the most important processes of evaluating, shopping for, and equipping a boat with the wisdom in Buying In and The Right Stuff.

BoatSense contains some of the most important checklists and sidebars a new boat-buyer will need, including:

·Checklist for an Unfamiliar Boat
·Volts, Watts, Amps, and Ohms
·Marine Engine Care
·Boatyard Chores: Who Does What?
·Recommended Tools
·Basic Navigation Gear … and more

1633358994953.png

Keepers of the Light by Donald Graham.
I think of that book everytime I see a lighthouse.
There is a sequel too.

16333656728211255978790.jpg
This is one of my favourites! Also , The Encyclopedia of Raincoast Place Names by Scott. An updated version of Walbran's. Super interesting

As a person struggling with bibliomania (which I just made up but may be a legitimate Latin word, I'm not sure) this is a thread I can really get into. My book collection caused structural problems in our last apartment.

This is not boating exactly but an incredible reference set for anyone here:

Three volume set; I was lusting after it for about a year before I ended up pulling the trigger. Spectacular imagery and details on everything in the local waters.

9780295743745-1.jpg

My Father My Friend is an incredible recount of a young boy growing up on the island and travelling north to the Oyster River in the fifties with his father on weekends to fly fish. just a beautiful storyteller and almost tears me up thinking about the days of yore and how things were back then compared to now.

The Gilly is the standard for lake and fly fishing. an absolute must have.

Attachments

• 987A4461-14E1-481D-8C7E-06036D5384D7.jpeg
    987A4461-14E1-481D-8C7E-06036D5384D7.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5F987BB3-8C33-440D-B784-F1EA2F9F19E6.jpeg
    5F987BB3-8C33-440D-B784-F1EA2F9F19E6.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 10
If you want to know why salmon stocks are declining this is a great book. Also details the hard life of a west coast logger and fisherman.
Have actually met Billy proctor at his museum in Echo Bay and had him sign my book.
Along with Curve of time these are both great reads.

51wwwart7rL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Sailing Alone around the World​

First person to do this was Canadian Joshua Sloan

1633385188750.png

Joshua Slocum spent a lifetime at sea. He ran away from his Nova Scotia home at the age of 14, and for the next 35 years he sailed the world holding every shipboard rank. When a ship under his command was wrecked on the coast of Brazil in 1887, it seemed that his maritime career had ended in disgrace. Not one for retiring to earthy pastures, Slocum rebuilt a hundred-year old sloop and set off from Boston in 1895 on the first single-handed circumnavigation of the globe. For more than three years, Slocum battled stormy seas, attacks from raiders and pirates, and of course, loneliness. He crossed the Atlantic no fewer than three times, spent weeks thrashing against the elements around Cape Horn, and found shelter in numerous exotic harbours. Sailing Alone around the World is the extraordinary story of one man's courage and resourcefulness, and has an enduring and universal appeal as a landmark of world adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jeanne Socrates

A Victoria woman is now the oldest person to sail solo around the world without the use of an engine. It was her third attempt to sail around the world and her second successful voyage

Jeanne Socrates returned home to Victoria on Saturday afternoon to a crowd of people cheering her on in her final leg, which was anything but smooth sailing.

“I think we are into 336 odd days,” said port officer Daragh Nagle.

Related Stories​

Winds damaged the 76-year-old’s boat, which made the final trip difficult. To complete the record, she could not receive assistance from anyone.

“She’s encountered some bad weather; she suffered some damage which she had to repair on her own,” said Nagle.

But finally, on Saturday afternoon, she arrived back home just after 4:15 p.m. to people cheering her on as she celebrated on her boat.

“We’ve been waiting for this all week,” said Nagle.

This is not the first daunting voyage for Socrates, in 2013 she completed her first successful solo sail around the globe in 259 days.

“She already has the title of the oldest woman to have done such a feat and now she is the oldest person in the world to do this solo,” said Nagle. “That is a great accomplishment.”

Socrates carries just enough tools, spare parts, and food to make sure her journey can be completed alone and unassisted.
et's not forget

Back