Boat weight for towing question

Adler

Hey all,

So 2-footitus is setting in, and we are considering options. Also find ourselves considering a new family vehicle. So, my question for today is about towing capacity. A 22 foot boot would be our maximum (most likely something in the 19-20 foot range). How much does a good 22 foot ocean-going fishing boat weigh? Need to know that the truck we are considering has (more than) enough capacity. Thanks.

5k-8k on the trailer there are many factors first being material glass or aluminum

Thanks JAC, we currently have a 17' K&C, fiberglass, and expect the next will be glass too.

My 21' Campion is 5600 pounds with the trailer and loaded for fishing. Usually tow with a near empty gas tank though.
My Tow vehicle is a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.7l HO V8. Tows great!
Its for sale now!

Attachments

• IMG_9914 (Small).jpg
    IMG_9914 (Small).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 689
Part of the question should also be: how much towing do you expect to do? You can get away with a smaller, lighter, cheaper vehicle if the towing short distances or few occasions. Towing capacity for most 'half ton' trucks these days is 8000-11,000 lbs. That's ample for the class of boat you're looking at. A mid size truck may well have the capacity too, but for shorter hauls or fewer trips. No sense paying for purchase and upkeep of big heavy duty 3/4 or 1-ton if it's not needed. Again, the equation changes if you habitually tow long distances and multiple trips. I'm probably average for towing, two trips a year to the coast and short hauls within the valley. Still that adds up to 2000 km annually, or just 10% of my yearly km driven. Give more thought to the other 90% of the driving and think if you're getting something bigger and costlier than you need. Anyway everyone has their own situation, hope you find something appropriate.

Good points. This will be the family vehicle, mostly for in city driving to and from school, hockey etc. But to satisfy our hobbies (gardening, fishing etc), it will be a truck. So fuel efficiency is key. The question we are asking now is whether we can/should get away with a smaller engine truck (say the 3.5L F-150 V6 ecoboost as an example), or if we should stuck with a V8. On paper, the smaller engine should suffice.

For fishing, we largely do short jaunts in and around Sooke/Victoria, with the occasional trip up island, like Browns Bay last year.

i wouldnt worry about the pulling....... i would about stopping tho..

i pulled a 17 glass with my 4 banger toy pick up,,,, but, i put brakes on the trailer..

Thanks all. And sorry Mods for putting this in the wrong spot, can be moved to boat and rigs forum!

The Eco boost is really nice and will tug a 22 foot boat all of the place as long as it's not made of lead. A half ton will do what you need really well. I just order a dodge Eco diesel it's a half ton also but has a small 3l turbo diesel worth looking at also, Great fuel mileage

The Dodge Ram with eco diesel appears to be the pick of the half tons this year, although they are in high demand so there'll be no deals on pricing or interest rates. You'll need to factor that in when considering price - a sharp price on a gas truck might make it cheaper to own over the 3-5 year span. All of the auto makers quote fuel economy numbers no one can match in the real world, but Ford's published figures for the eco boost series are even more optimistic than the rest. Of the V8s, the GM 5.3L is the most frugal.

Two issues one of which has been stated and that's braking power the other is tongue weight some trailers where the axles are placed make for lots of tongue weight which is great for towing with the right vehicle how ever I have a half ton and it looks like I'm doing a wheelie luckily it's just down the road to the ramp. 22 foot and under is pretty manageable for a half ton though many boat manufactures will have dry weights so you can figure out the weight of a potential boat. I belive to specs re the campion listed above view here--->http://www.guideautoweb.com/boat/specifications/campion/explorer/explorer_602isc/2014/

Seems once you crack 24 ft the boats really jump in weight. Trailers weight between 800 - 1100 approx.

The other issue can be tranny life but if you put your vehicle in low range makes a big difference on the ramp.

Good luck in your search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always have to laugh when I hear this question. My truck or car will tow this or that. You can tow just about anything with anything, the real question is can you stop it. I don't buy the answer "if you're only towing a short distance you don't need a big tow vehicle". You can get in accident just down the street from your driveway just as easy as miles from home. I'm sure if you get in accident ICBC will want to know what the trailer you were towing weighs. I always look at it this way, if my trailer brakes fail I know my truck will stop it and my boat and trailer weigh in at 3400KG(7000+ LBS). Better safe than sorry.

I would like to put my two pennies in here. If your boat and trailer reach a certain weight ( l think it's 6500lb) your trailer has to be equiped with electric over hydraulic brakes. Great system but an added expense that you might not have anticipated. You are also required to have brakes on all your axles in BC, even if the trailer originally did not come so equiped. Retrofitting with a quality disc brake system will run over a grand, more if you need the electric/hydraulic upgrade. I could be wrong about the precise requirements, but I'm sure someone will provide the correct information. Just something else to keep in the back of your mind when looking at a combination boat/trailer.

Is that really true, Gungadin, you need brakes on all axles in BC? Even after our pal at Canadian Tire has inspected and approved the trailer.

Is that really true, Gungadin, you need brakes on all axles in BC? Even after our pal at Canadian Tire has inspected and approved the trailer.

Yes it is true. I had my RIV inspection done at CT as well and they seemed only to be interested in the lights - not the fact that there were brakes on one axle, not two. I ran into a big issue with mine as the second axle didn't have the backing plate necessary to install the disc brake kit. Had to buy a new axle as well as the brake kit.

Trailer Brake Requirements

•Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.

•Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.

•Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.

The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

source: http://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp#BC

I would bet most of the boat trailers on the road wouldn't pass the rules above. The rules are the rules and ICBC always looks for a way out. I've been through the trailer inspection when importing and the only thing they care about is their fee and that the lights & blinkers work, it's a piece of cake to pass.

Let's keep in mind were talking about a 22 ft boat tops, not hauling a 30ft Grady behind a Mazda.

Not to get off topic but how can CT inspect and sign off on a trailer that doesn't pass all requirements in BC?

I had this same thing brought to my attention last year on my way to the Tuna Shoot Out when I blew a bearing. I was in Campbell River and went to buy a dust cover for the new bearing and the guy at Daigle Marine told me my trailer was not legal due to having only brakes on one axel. Had to do the repairs and make it right.

That being said, once it is inspected, signed off on and insured in BC are you not good?

If not how can CT inspect and sign of on it without telling you about this rule?

Ucluelet Charters, you nailed it, I bet more than 50% of trailers on the road Bc that are BC registered are not legal.

Sorry to get off topic but this interests me.

Cheers

Usually the inspection that CT does is the federal RIV import inspection. Not all provinces require brakes on all axles so not having them is still a pass for the fedaral inspection. Imported trailers should also pass a provincial Out of Province inspection. If CT does that one too the person doing the inspection may not know the rules and pass it anyway. Always best to know the rules for yourself. TF

Two issues one of which has been stated and that's braking power the other is tongue weight some trailers where the axles are placed make for lots of tongue weight which is great for towing with the right vehicle how ever I have a half ton and it looks like I'm doing a wheelie luckily it's just down the road to the ramp. 22 foot and under is pretty manageable for a half ton though many boat manufactures will have dry weights so you can figure out the weight of a potential boat. I belive to specs re the campion listed above view here--->http://www.guideautoweb.com/boat/specifications/campion/explorer/explorer_602isc/2014/

Seems once you crack 24 ft the boats really jump in weight. Trailers weight between 800 - 1100 approx.

The other issue can be tranny life but if you put your vehicle in low range makes a big difference on the ramp.

Good luck in your search.

X2 , very few people put much thought into tongue weight. a properly fitted trailer will make towing much easier.

beemer

Back