Boat/ RV Sheds?

Tips Up

After going through 2 of the Steel Pole/ Tarp Portable Garages each winter, I am looking for another option.

I can get a custom Aluminum shed for $4-5,000 but that is not in my budget right now. I see that Costco has an aluminum roof and frame car/ RV garage for $1,100 but it is only 8 1/2 feet high in the center. I may go for this and raise it on cinder blocks.

Any other suggestions or success stories? I want to use it for my 17' travel trailer for now and may look to get a second for my boat.

Thanks,

Tips

This is my boat shelter. They will custom size it for you. Purchased it from Slip Tube Enterprises. Made in Canada, eh.

http://www.sliptube.com/

BoatShelter2.jpg

Looks great! I am sure the shape would be better against the eliments and it looks of much better quality than the Costco and similar types.

What did it cost you?

Tips

I purchased it in 2001 and cost around $1700. It has held up very well. Even the big snow dump last winter was no problem. I did however, remove the snow before the big melt and the rain started. The metal tubing is fastened to 4" x 6" timbers which are staked to the ground with 2' lenghts of 5/8" rebar.

Thanks! I may look into these.
I am also looking into just building a wood structure or maybe I'll find a used metal one.

Tips

Tips:

Here's another consideration for the Do-it-yourself approach.

I just did a couple of deck coverings with a product called 'Tuff Tex' or something like that. It's the same as corragated fiberglass panels but it is MUCH clearer (like glass) and tougher. It's made from a poly-carbonate and comes with a lifetime warranty. Fiberglass or PVC panels have no warranty. It's not cheap and will cost you about 30% more than the other stuff. You can get them from Sleggs (in 2-ft x 8-ft @ about $30/per panel and 12-ft ones for around $45.00)

For a boat shed, say 12-ft wide I'd just frame up a 4 to 6-pitch roof out of 2x4's (use collar-ties as well) and stand it as high as you need it. Make sure you use X-bracing interior on the sides and back wall for lateral stability.

Back