Boat insurance Required?

Hotwire

Is boat insurance a requirement in BC? Or any Province for that matter? And if so, what is the average cost?

For personal use, only if you want it.
cost is a huge variable depending on the coverage you want
depends on size, year, fire, theft etc.

Cant comment on the price as its completely dependant on how good the coverage is and what the value is your covering.

I will say that anyone on the water without liability insurance is crazy, JMO

In Victoria, give Christie-Phoenix a call. I just got 4 quotes for my new boat, and they were the best and cheapest. Be really careful about the operating areas the policy covers you for. Some only cover you for inshore waters, and only east of Metchosin, crazy crap like that. Ask for "trade warranty 3" which is the operating area you want for fishing in the chuck on the BC coast. The rest have crazy restrictions like nothing north of Ladysmith!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
only mandatory if your mooring as the marina will want usually 2 mil liability

Yeah, Im looking at a 17 Hourston, and I plan on fishing in Sooke, and out along the coast up to Port Renfrew and down around Victoria back up the other side.

A buddy of mine had his boat catch fire in his driveway yesterday...took out his boat, travel trailer and part of his sundeck....luckily he was insured

Get it. If you harm someone in your boat or another in fog, or capsize and all your gear sinks to the bottom, or hit a deadhead, you'll be happy you have it. I have cheap boats but am glad I had it because I've done 2 of the 3 things above.

A buddy of mine had his boat catch fire in his driveway yesterday...took out his boat, travel trailer and part of his sundeck....luckily he was insured
How the hell did that happen. That the worst takes out toys and house. Although parked at home your home insurance should cover I think.

Depending upon the size of your boat, you can also get it covered under your home insurance policy -- often worth talking to your broker to see if that's a better option.

In Victoria, give Christie-Phoenix a call. I just got 4 quotes for my new boat, and they were the best and cheapest. Be really careful about the operating areas the policy covers you for. Some only cover you for inshore waters, and only east of Metchosin, crazy crap like that. Ask for "trade warranty 3" which is the operating area you want for fishing in the chuck on the BC coast. The rest have crazy restrictions like nothing north of Ladysmith!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

X 2 on going to Christie Phoenix got the best coverage and prices around.

Depending upon the size of your boat, you can also get it covered under your home insurance policy -- often worth talking to your broker to see if that's a better option.

I called my homes insurance provider, and also got quotes on moving my home insurance to two other providers and getting boat insurance through them. I got one quote at $640 from my existing provider, and the other two were at $660 and $690 for the year. The difficulty is that generally speaking the home insurance providers don't have marine specific insurance products so they insure based on a rider from their underwriters against your home policy. This means they will likely give you some really ignorant restrictions, most typically associated with where you can operate your boat. All 3 home insurance rider based quotes I got restricted the use of the boat to wearers South of Ladysmith on the inside, and East of Metchosin. If I recall, I was also limited to nothing more than 5 miles off shore. This means no fishing in Sooke, or of I wanted to trailer up to Gold River,out Alberni, Comox, or Campbell River, I would be put of luck, no insurance. The map that describes the operating area for coastal BC is called Trade Warranty #3. That is what you want.

So, take the time, do some homework and ask for a marine specific product.

Oh... The year's worth of insurance from Christie-Phoenix was $465, and the deductibles were WAY less than the home insurance.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

Christie Phoenix is also a corporate sponsor of SVIAC and you get a discount if you are a member! These guys are supporting you....support them!!

Back