Boat Choice , new to boating

If you’re going to buy new do yourself a favour and have a close look at the price and depreciation of 5 to 10 year old glass boats vs welded aluminium boats. That’s all I’m going to say.

Update : Just waiting to make a deal that I like on the new 622 , but in the meantime still looking at used , been all over and found lots of boats with raw water cooling that I fear will be a problem down the road. Then there is the older boats that have the fresh water cooling but you can’t tell if it’s factory installed or done just 3 years ago after spending 10years in the chuck.
I have owned a lot of old cars and build quite a few of over the years, but boats that’s a different breed all together, finding it to be very difficult indeed.
Very frustrating

Update : Just waiting to make a deal that I like on the new 622 , but in the meantime still looking at used , been all over and found lots of boats with raw water cooling that I fear will be a problem down the road. Then there is the older boats that have the fresh water cooling but you can’t tell if it’s factory installed or done just 3 years ago after spending 10years in the chuck.
I have owned a lot of old cars and build quite a few of over the years, but boats that’s a different breed all together, finding it to be very difficult indeed.
Very frustrating
Exciting!

Very frustrating

If you're a bit of a gear head you can build a whole bunch of chevy v8 or v6 engines for the price of a new outboard. Problem is finding good core engines to rebuild. They're out there if you're patient, just watch out for cracked blocks or corrosion in the heads, intake manifolds and blocks . I don't mind doing that kind of work and I haven't paid a nickle to anyone to work on my boats for 15 years.

If you're a bit of a gear head you can build a whole bunch of chevy v8 or v6 engines for the price of a new outboard
This is true BUT there is downtime & unlike a car, breakdown on the water can be a serious safety issue.

Very frustrating

Just curious, how much does a new 622 go for? I like Campion 622 too, that or the Striper 200WA

After a lot of thinking , I’m going with the new 622 wa with 200 outboard and a 9.9 kicker, jumped from 40,000 to 100,000 pretty fast lol
Seen a lot of boats, some real nice but unfortunately not as clean as I want and maintenance records were sometimes non existent.
It seems that there is no 2011- 2018 fishing boats out there that are for sale, maybe it’s because of Covid? Or just that they are all being used.
I’ll post some details when i pick it up, I’m now making the decision on electronics , wow way too many choices.
Got the Scotty 2106s down riggers getting mounted, vhf done, dual controls done, dual batteries done, tilt steering exchange done.

Thinking of Lowrance hook 7 reveal triple shot ,,,,thoughts?
Anything I should think about adding?

BTW, thanks for all the great advice, sure glad I didn’t pull the trigger on the 542 right away

After a lot of thinking , I’m going with the new 622 wa with 200 outboard and a 9.9 kicker, jumped from 40,000 to 100,000 pretty fast lol
Seen a lot of boats, some real nice but unfortunately not as clean as I want and maintenance records were sometimes non existent.
It seems that there is no 2011- 2018 fishing boats out there that are for sale, maybe it’s because of Covid? Or just that they are all being used.
I’ll post some details when i pick it up, I’m now making the decision on electronics , wow way too many choices.
Got the Scotty 2106s down riggers getting mounted, vhf done, dual controls done, dual batteries done, tilt steering exchange done.

BTW, thanks for all the great advice, sure glad I didn’t pull the trigger on the 542 right away
Get the biggest screen that’ll fit. You won’t regret it.

That's great! I agree with biggest screen you can get.. you might find 7 kind of small.. I find it hard to see the contour details when it's on split screen with sonar. Who are you dealing with for purchase?

Nice,, can’t wait to see the new toy.

I think you would like the Garmin Echomap better,but probably a bit more $,but you want to get it right the first time and not be disappointed.

Nobody seems to sell a nice boat; they keep it until it isn't nice anymore; usually the engine(s).

Heard nothing good about Lowrance/Navico products.

I like Furuno for fish finders but don't like their charts - if going with a combo unit get a big-butt screen & an Airmar high-wide CHIRP ducer. You COULD get a Furuno FF with the same ducer & run Navionics on an iPad; iPad will not have a super-bright screen like a dedicated MFD.

Get the new unit next week, so happy with my decision so stoked to get out.
Now trying to figure out the best place to launch it, French creek?, schooner cove? Beachcomber?, Brechin boat launch ?
I have been driving around looking at all of them and watching everyone launch, French Creek, Brechin looks like a well organized place
Thanks

Attachments

• ECA2FE3A-5C10-4F54-8B8A-DAD0A3A8CE75.jpeg
    ECA2FE3A-5C10-4F54-8B8A-DAD0A3A8CE75.jpeg
    255 KB · Views: 83
Get the new unit next week, so happy with my decision so stoked to get out.
Now trying to figure out the best place to launch it, French creek?, schooner cove? Beachcomber?, Brechin boat launch ?
I have been driving around looking at all of them and watching everyone launch, French Creek, Brechin looks like a well organized place
Thanks
Wow, beautiful! Brechin has been great for me, to 3 ramps, free wash down.. French Creek has been very crowded when I've been there. Schooner would be horrible with a boat that size.. really steep and gravely launch.. no parking.

Brechin would be a good place to start. Lots of room and good ramps. Go mid week when not busy and take your time. Don’t undo your bow eye till the boat is partly in the water. Still remember years ago a guy had undone his boat at the top of the ramp. About half way down on a low tide he hit the brakes and the boat flew off the trailer and skidded down the ramp into the water and floated away. It was a horrible screeching sound as it left a white fiberglass streak down the middle of the ramp.

Brechin would be a good place to start. Lots of room and good ramps. Go mid week when not busy and take your time. Don’t undo your bow eye till the boat is partly in the water. Still remember years ago a guy had undone his boat at the top of the ramp. About half way down on a low tide he hit the brakes and the boat flew off the trailer and skidded down the ramp into the water and floated away. It was a horrible screeching sound as it left a white fiberglass streak down the middle of the ramp.
Funny you say that we went to sport lake and watched a tinner fly off the back of a trailer with his friend inside the boat, lucky he never went over and hit his head.
Thanks for the great advice, been 30 years since I launched my last boat, the only 2 bad things I have ever done, is forgot the plug, and forgot to remove the rear starts prior to going down the dock.
I want to get out there Saturday, but ill try for 7am or earlier, if its too busy, ill wait till Monday

Must be something about Brechin as I witnessed a guy launch without a plug too. We had just launched our boat and moved towards the end of the dock. His boat was at the very end and all of a sudden he went running past us screaming the boat was sinking and he needed to get his truck and trailer back to get the boat out.
I have been so excited to launch I did not take off the rear tie downs. Tried 3 times to get the boat off while folks were watching. Finally I think they felt sorry for me and said hey buddy your tie downs are still on! Learned my lesson and triple check now. Always do a complete walk around before launching. Preparation is key!
Best of luck. Will be an exciting day!

Great stories, glad no one got hurt, My BIGGEST fear is running aground near some island, spent a lot of time around the waters of Point Roberts and up around Port Hardy area, but never Nanaimo area.
My wife wants to cruise around Ballenas and down around Nanaimo Harbour and I would like to eventually go as far as Campbell River.
I am going to go slow and assume if boats are near by then I am okay to be there, NO boats, better check the area carefully :)
I have a class 1 & class 5 license, driven 53' trailers around, but never was worried as much as I am going out to the Georgia Straight, should be interesting time.

If you see a guy and his wife in a new Explorer frantically waving their heads in the air, don't laugh just come over and help lol

Back