Boat cabin heater

The remington 16,000 btu head screws onto a 10-20lb propane tank

REM-16-TTC-B-200-4.jpg

I replaced an old Webasto ST that had died with a Chinese from eBay. So far so good. From what I can tell it's no different than Webasto just 1/10 price. All of them seem to have problems sooting up, I use kerosene only to mitigate. When installing, keep the fuel pump far away from anywhere you plan to sleep, they tick loud enough to be annoying

Webasto 8 kw nockoffs $195 on ebay shipping out of Richmond, I would put the link but every time I post I can see my personal info. Looks like reasonable parts too.
Item number 402300151569

Last edited:
Most likely will violate Coast Guard regulations & your insurance policy.

The US Coast Guard does not have a standard for LPG or CNG systems on recreational boats. However, if the boat is used to carry six or less passengers for hire the boat must meet at least the ABYC standard. If the boat is a passenger vessel under 100 gross tons and carrying more than six passengers then there are standards in the USCG regulations for those boats.

I have a Mr Heater that screws to a propane tank and same as Remington style. I use it in my drift boat and put it in a milk crate so it doesn't tip. Works great and i use it to reheat food on top. They used to come with a sleeve that you can mount and the back of the unit slides into. They also have a cage the unit slides into so you can tip the unit to cook on.

I have had a Planar in my boat now for over six years. There has been zero issues with it to date. My boat is in the water pretty much year round and the heater gets quite a bit of use. If you let it perform its "shut down'' cycle, soot build up won't be an issue. Boost Marine in Port Alberni sells them

From my understanding,
I just had my boat survey done. Propane is fine for use on a boat as long as there are no pilot lights and you have a CO gas detector. I have a 3 way fridge. I now have to disconnect the propane function because of the pilot light.

The US recommendations are law in Canada when it comes to boat safety. (So I was told)I bought my boat from the states hence why the 3 way fridge was OK.

Spend the money, die, or wear more clothes.

I like the chinese knock off espars , 250. bucks and all the kit (except thru hull exhaust) . ALL boats should have a Carbon monoxide detector , or you are just gambling with your friends and families lives. Even the best heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning when the wind and tide are opposing at anchor or at the dock. Get a carbon monoxide/fire unit ! you will party and sleep soundly.
https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-O...=carbon+monoxide+and+fire,sporting,215&sr=8-2

I like the chinese knock off espars , 250. bucks and all the kit (except thru hull exhaust) . ALL boats should have a Carbon monoxide detector , or you are just gambling with your friends and families lives. Even the best heaters can cause carbon monoxide poisoning when the wind and tide are opposing at anchor or at the dock. Get a carbon monoxide/fire unit ! you will party and sleep soundly.
https://www.amazon.ca/First-Alert-Operated-Combination-Monoxide/dp/B004Y74ZT2/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3PHF5APW435EV&dchild=1&keywords=carbon+monoxide+and+fire+detector+10+year+battery&qid=1604005048&sprefix=carbon+monoxide+and+fire,sporting,215&sr=8-2
CM detector was mandatory for insurance, that and a bunch of other stuff

We've got one. Its fine on anchor but the slightest nudge, jolt or ripple causes it to auto shut off
I have mine and I disconnected the tilt mechanism, not hard to do , lots on YouTube and I built a platform for it so it doesnt tip over, worked great

Not sure if it would be suitable for your application but a little bus heater which heats off the engine’s cooling system is effective. I have one and love it, but my helm is quite a small space. No concern over carbon monoxide.

Not sure if it would be suitable for your application but a little bus heater which heats off the engine’s cooling system is effective. I have one and love it, but my helm is quite a small space. No concern over carbon monoxide.
That's what I have but you need to be running the big motor and not the kicker to have it working.

If you do decide to go with the German made Espar you can do a lot better than 2600$ for a D2. Check Amazon and eBay, or try the guys at cool-it.ca they were good for my buddy when he did his install in his sprinter. I run my D2 on kerosene exclusively and it has been flawless for over 5 years.

Back