Blackfish Sound?

O

opp-i-ottan

Heading up to Telegraph Cove at the end of next week. Planning to fish North side of Malcolm etc... Any recent reports from the area? 'nooks? 'buts?
Oppi

Fished Monday to Thursday, July 9-12 out of Alder Bay, mostly Donegal to Lizard. Great weather, flat calm almost every morning, free whale watching for 3 species. We caught a few pinks, cohoes and small springs. Lost 2 decent fish. I'm no highliner but I sure found it slow. No boats were coming in with limits of big springs, that's for sure. One guy that paid for 2 weeks left after 3 days to try Winter Harbour. Only saw a few fish caught, heard about a few over 30 lbs, saw 2 boats playing fish at the same time once in 4 days. I fished long hours, out well before sun up, fished right through both slack tides once. Tough fishing. Fished mostly anchovies, but did get a few hits on a watermelon coyote.
Those that fished Halis were getting a few. Saw one 117lb, most were 20-30. 300ft of water off Lizard seemed to be the most consistant producer for Halibut.
Wished I went to Bamfield, Sooke, or stayed at Pender Island where I got a small spring at the Bluffs last Saturday am. Great wedding at Poet's Cove, a nice place when the drinks are free.
I hope the salmon fishing up there is better by next week. Try some other spots besides Malcolm, I should have.

Hit'n miss eh? Maybe Cracroft Pt. is better than North side of Malcom... Lizard... Donegal... etc..?

Just heard from my Dad this mornin last night they landed and released a 37 pounder off Craycroft.

Yaoooosa! Now that'a salmon! How are they doing overall? Must quite alright if they're RELEASING 40'ers! [8D]

I never asked him how fishing was over all.I imagine its got to be pretty good. They are out there for quite a while I think thats why he let him swim.

Cool! It feels good to release BIG PIGS like that! The meat chunks of the 15' - 25' ers are a lot easier to handle on the BBQ and it's better FOR EVERYBODY if the BIG PIGS get to go back up river, spawn and pass on their superior genes to the next generation! :D

Thats for sure Opp-i-ottan. He really likes his prawn fishing and any salmon he gets is just a bonus.I hate to say it but if it was my 37 lber he'd be in the smoker LOL.

Just chatted to the lodge owner last night it had been slow but they hammered them on tuesday one thing I can tell you about up there the stronger tides are by far the better times to fish for big springs the weaker ones are not as good dont ask me why just what I have noticed in the last 5 years or so i am up there starting on sat till aug ill post what and where and how good when I get back until then.

Good luck To you all Wolf

Back