Blackfish sound locations

beak

Heading up to telegraph cove on Aug 08/06 lookin for some good salmon locations around Blackfish sound.Also need some hot spots for salmon and hali`s around Minstrel island or in the Knight inlet.

Been years since I guided there, but if memory serves me correctly:

Chinook:

- Flower Island & the West side of Swanson Is.; Cracroft Point & "The Wall" on the opposite side of Baronet Passage from Cracroft; Red Point; Whitebeach Point; Donegal Head; Bold Head. Typically I'd fish whole herring or cut plug or Lyman Plugs at 30 to 60 ft.

Coho: Try all of the above plus a line along the mouth of Parson's Bay ensuring you stay outside the fin fish closure. The usual, speed up and either go deeper or shallower depending on what your sounder shows you. Spoons, hoochies & bucktails all work at times.

Sockeye\Pinks: Double bay; or any of the above with red gear.

I haven't fished the area since I first headed to the Charlottes in the early 90's, but I still have many fond memories of calm waters, big springs (personal best was a 64lb beast that took almost an hour to land and covered almost 5 miles in the tide)and big Coho (saw a 26 lber landed at Cracroft).

Telegraph Cove sounds like a great place to stay. If you're in a smaller boat, watch for afternoon Westerlies as getting back across Johnstone Strait if the wind and tide are opposed can be a bit of a nightmare.

Minstrel:

Bat Bluff, Hoeya Head, Protection Point and Sargents Passage all have produced Springs for me, but earlier in the year (June). Not bad Hallie fishing in Tribune Channel as well. Look out for RCA's.

GB

Back