Biggest Salmon you ever caught???

42.5 Cowichan Bay 1975.right off the freighter dock. My second trip out after my cousin taught me how to mooch. My wife netted it but could not lift into the boat, she said i was so excited i picked her and the fish up. We had our young 2 kids with us and the size of the fish scared them...Won the king fisherman of the month. If you remember it was put on by the Colonist newspaper. I had a 15.6 Hurston and fish covered the floor from side to side

67 #'s Skeena... 5 years ago
Seen some near 100 dead in the rivers over the years though..
One day a saltchuck monster will be mine!

My biggest was a 68.7 lbs in 08, caught it on a cut plug at about 44 ft. Was everything I was hoping for and more, just hope I have the opportunity to do it again. Working on getting a picture but new IPad and still figuring it out.

33 years ago Cutthroat trout fishing the mouth of the Oyster River with a Brown and White home made Bucktail Fly with a Cowichan Spinner. I was Bucktailing around the kelp bed with my Lamiglas Fly Rod and my 1942 Hardy Silex catching Cutthroat. When this fish hit their was nothing holding it back that's for sure I chased that fish down to Black Creek and about a mile out, I was lucky as a other angler saw what was happing and followed me with his boat. I had my trout net on board not the salmon net. After a hell of a fight the other angler throw his net in my boat thank god. I scooped up this huge fish and cried. ( I was 13) I took it on 8 lb test with fly line I still have the Rod and Reel and have not used since. Just over 41 lbs, I was guiding out of Pacific Playgrounds at that time, it was nice to catch a big one myself and not pass the rod off. As a guide 52 lb Port Renfrew a 12 year old caught it...

Hey Wellsy that sounds like a blast except the crying thing,hehe. here's a pic of a 62lbr i think the same year you got your 52 even the same spot sept 4/04! As well a 56 and a 50 from last year.

trevor62lb.jpg

P1000677.jpg

DSC00169.jpg

Well, as long as you started this, not me......

Fresh Water: Kenai River, Alaska: 55 lb on a gob of eggs and a spin N' glow
Quillayute River, WA. 65 lb (first hole in from the Ocean) Small spinner, big fish!

Salt: Lund, B.C. Just off the Iron Mine --- 40 lbs Hooked in 10 feet of water on the first anchovy I ever stuck on a hook. Also, first big fish on a Silex--what a blast! Took me way out in the shipping lane

The big one that got away: a few July's ago I fought a spring on the Kenai for two hours that had to have been in the mid to upper 80's. Head was as big as some of the springs I've caught. I had it up along side my inflatable Avon several times (in a 5 knot current) so I got lots of good looks at it. The guy on the net crapped his pants and kept saying :"OMG, OMG" . He was useless; froze on the net and wouldn't bust a move even when I'd given him multiple opportunities.

I finally handed him the rod and grabbed the net from him. So what does he do? He high-sticks like he's setting the hook and of course, the hook pulls out--- I watched the fish drift out of sight. Chrome bright fish; rare for a Kenai fish that big to be chrome like it was. The good news: I didn't have to agonize over whether to let it go or not....those big Kenai fish aren't as plentiful as they used to be; kind of a reoccurring theme these days

Last edited by a moderator:
Largest personal 40lbs Lighthouse Nootka Sound. Guided, 68lbs same place 05 33 feet anchovy no flasher. Dont know how to post pictures, but google image "Doug Atkinson 68" there is a shot of the big one.

Cheers

Attachments

• P8043399.jpg
    P8043399.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 255
Largest personal 40lbs Lighthouse Nootka Sound. Guided, 68lbs same place 05 33 feet anchovy no flasher. Dont know how to post pictures, but google image "Doug Atkinson 68" there is a shot of the big one.

Cheers

2005septcovr.jpg

1985, Nitinaht Gap...49 3/4 lbs. I could not get the scale to say 50 lbs. unless I pushed down on the fish a little, tiny amount. I had just read the day before about a two hook set up for fishing plug cut herring used in the Charlottes ( oops, Haida Gwaii) and so I tried the set up the next day. Just off the South Point of the Nitinaht Gap I hit he fish and fought it on a 15 lb. test leader for 20 minutes.

Traveller

42 Lb white spring ...Englefield Bay May 2011. Fished with a plugged herring at 60'. Fish jumped clear of the water 3 times. The trick to landing a fish like that is to have a master fisherman like Rod Parker maneuvering the boat between the fish and the kelp and keeping a novice (like me) from becoming impatient and horsing it in too quickly.
Thanks Rod. 42 lb white spring_1.jpg :)

As I mentioned back on page seven or eight (without picture), I caught this near Prince Rupert (Green Island) on our way up to Dundas Island. I think I have pictures where I was measuring it's length and girth, that should be enough to get a mount done shouldn't it? Fished up there for ten summers and always managed to get one over 40 lbs. Often thought about becoming a guide with my own boat or working under someone down here in the Sooke/Victoria area, but worried it would take the love out of it for me:eek:

P8080007.jpg

two 45at pounders in one evening at the ebb tide backeddy at cape mudge light house back in 1950s none over 35 since; i like my springs to be about 15 lbs; better eating

42 lbs Nitnat on a white hochie at 35 feet 1986. Been hooked myself since then. 39 lbs at bamfield at the wall 40 feet on a anchovie 1987.

After 10 years of guiding my brother and I went on a personal fishing trip and I managed to land a 73#, cut plug 33 feet on the rigger in the kelp....The fish was measured and released 49X34.5".

Attachments

• P1040966.jpg
    P1040966.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 470
Back