Biggest Halibut You Ever Caught

lorne is a good fisherman, way to go happy butt island , you took the bait...

Biggest on a rod was 78 lbs. off Pedder Bay a month ago today. Many years back when I commercial trolled,we got one
out on Laporouse Bank that was huge!! Took a 7 inch plug on a 20 fathom leader.It was all of 5.5 feet long. My
skipper figured it was over 150 lbs. Had to shake it because we were only licensed for salmon/cod.

nice one Lorne...shouldn't you be goat hunting instead of jigging one up?

Getbent

Biggest on a rod was 78 lbs. off Pedder Bay a month ago today. Many years back when I commercial trolled,we got one
out on Laporouse Bank that was huge!! Took a 7 inch plug on a 20 fathom leader.It was all of 5.5 feet long. My
skipper figured it was over 150 lbs. Had to shake it because we were only licensed for salmon/cod.

Caught a 5.5 footer this year in Klemtu, charted out to 141

Nice days fishing for a couple guys.....
I guess catch and release maybe a reality soon , when public sees pics like this.
You were sport fishing wern't U ?

Wayne's a great guy, but back on track, 155lbs guided this past june, only 2 days after the 64lbs Chinook lolol great week...but have a very good feeling ill break 200lbs this year.

EndofJuneFishing10060.jpg

EndofJuneFishing10047.jpg

My biggest sport caught is 133# and the biggest commercially back in the day was 324#. Let the flaming begin

Because the large fish are considered brood stock and should be released , commercial and sporties and any responsible fisherman/woman , release the big ones.

Give your head a shake.....Commercial Halibut fishermen DO NOT release the big ones.

Nice days fishing for a couple guys.....
I guess catch and release maybe a reality soon , when public sees pics like this.
You were sport fishing wern't U ?

Well if you dont like that one, maybe you'll like the 200+ lber they caught this year!

Woooo!

249656_10151130275359114_1791031616_n.jpg

Well if you dont like that one, maybe you'll like the 200+ lber they caught this year!

Woooo!

249656_10151130275359114_1791031616_n.jpg

Thanks Lorne :p And that first picture from way back when was for a whole group of us, 7 in total, not just 2. The 225lber was this year, and after the group of 5 caught this and a 60lber I asked them if they even needed anymore halibut and they said that was enough halibut for all of them, and otherwise we were going to get a bunch of 70-90lbers, so in reality by just keeping this one big one and not releasing it then getting the other ones more eggs were in fact left in the water.

Give your head a shake.....Commercial Halibut fishermen DO NOT release the big ones.
not sure who you talked with or who you fished with , but myself and my family have fished commercially for near 100 yrs.
we fish salmon , halibut , herring , urchins , sea cucumbers , tuna.
Our family boats and all the fellow fishermen we know , ALWAYS shake the brood stock. When we go out we sometimes have request from buyers for size.
There are areas on the coast where you can get 30-50 size , or 40-70 size ,etc. some of the areas have too many by-catch with rockfish and you need to lease rockfish quota to cover your overage when fishing some sizes.
There is near to ZERO market for 100 plus , the meat is stringy and many times chalky. Do your homework , mayself and my family have done theirs for 100 yrs.
I am now a sportie like yourself and love it and want to protect it too. So , use common sense and release those big mommas.

"There is near to ZERO market for 100 plus , the meat is stringy and many times chalky"

I used to think this was the case until we caught a few around 100 lbs.
The only difference in the meat was the filets were thicker.
No difference in taste,texture.

not sure who you talked with or who you fished with , but myself and my family have fished commercially for near 100 yrs.
we fish salmon , halibut , herring , urchins , sea cucumbers , tuna.
Our family boats and all the fellow fishermen we know , ALWAYS shake the brood stock. When we go out we sometimes have request from buyers for size.
There are areas on the coast where you can get 30-50 size , or 40-70 size ,etc. some of the areas have too many by-catch with rockfish and you need to lease rockfish quota to cover your overage when fishing some sizes.
There is near to ZERO market for 100 plus , the meat is stringy and many times chalky. Do your homework , mayself and my family have done theirs for 100 yrs.
I am now a sportie like yourself and love it and want to protect it too. So , use common sense and release those big mommas.

I too shake the breeders and most of my clients do as well but i've seen lots of them being unloaded off commercial boats at Lions Gate.....including last July where 1 boat had a load of 100 lbers

I too shake the breeders and most of my clients do as well but i've seen lots of them being unloaded off commercial boats at Lions Gate.....including last July where 1 boat had a load of 100 lbers
I,m glad to hear you release the big momma's , good for you and your clients. That is responsible fishing and many should take note.
but a whole boat load of plus 100 lbers....naaaaaa!!!! but lots of 70's yes.
lets not get this thread into a bs or no bs or under or over , commercial or sportie ,.....lets all just be reasonable and use common sense. If its a big female , let her go !!!!

The biggest hali I caught....

I ate..

"There is near to ZERO market for 100 plus , the meat is stringy and many times chalky"

I used to think this was the case until we caught a few around 100 lbs.
The only difference in the meat was the filets were thicker.
No difference in taste,texture.

I was always told this too.
Boated a 135 lb ( by the chart 5' 4") fish last summer and the meat was fine.
Larger grains but as RSC said absolutley nothing wrong with it.

Right on Islandgirl... way too much BS being posted about the big slabs--- and usually from those who cant catch them!

Back