Biggest Halibut You Ever Caught

wait on it, it will happen, wait....wait.... any second now....

Your prayers are answered R.S not on this thread but on the berried spot prawn thread by Juandesooka.

Wolf, no it wasn't caught in the Serpentine, went around the corner towards the store on Minstriel, we called the area the Brush Pile. I used to help guide and of course sport fish out of Chinook Cove Lodge in Bones Bay. Haven't been back since the lodge was sold a number of years ago, sure do miss the area, great times and great stories, best of all no crowds. I'm sure our bows must have passed from time to time. Where did you get yours, Ice Box area??

Wolf, no it wasn't caught in the Serpentine, went around the corner towards the store on Minstriel, we called the area the Brush Pile. I used to help guide and of course sport fish out of Chinook Cove Lodge in Bones Bay. Haven't been back since the lodge was sold a number of years ago, sure do miss the area, great times and great stories, best of all no crowds. I'm sure our bows must have passed from time to time. Where did you get yours, Ice Box area??

Pulled some nice springs out of the Bush pile when I fish out of Chinook Cove back when Wayne owned the lodge-
Some pretty nice hally's come out of the channel- Was a nice area :)

Derby, I started fishing with Wayne in 1988 and continued until he sold the lodge, he is now in Winter Harbour, which I'm sure you are aware. I even graced his fishing pamphlet for a couple of seasons holding a nice 43 lb. silver slab. I'm sure we must have crossed paths at some time. I had a photo of my fish in the galley and everyone used to ask where the cardboard fish was so that they might get a photo too. Will be seeing Wayne in mid July when I go for a week sport fishing with some buddies.

NEVER!!!

Keep anything OVER 12lbs!!!

Terrible for the stocks. Release immediately.

Then realize what a useless dooche you truly are. Save them for the commies dum-dum!!!

Wayne's a great guy, but back on track, 155lbs guided this past june, only 2 days after the 64lbs Chinook lolol great week...but have a very good feeling ill break 200lbs this year.

EndofJuneFishing10060.jpg

EndofJuneFishing10047.jpg

Dont know what you are calling the ice box?? differnt lodge different names I guess mine was right in the middle of the serpentine I usd to guide for john reid of sailcone then it split and remained on the float lodge which changed to coastal springs with steve running it.

I have gotten many a hali in that area Hoeya head one week all of us were getting 70 + lbers trolling for salmon, I got 2 in one morning fishing 55 ft in 200 ft of water!!!! it was alike a "run" came in the first one I got took me by surprise it hit ran then to the surface then down back up it was a bit choppy 3 ft when it came back up all I saw in the wave was this big long brown thing I thought holy crap ive got my 60 lb salmon as this thing was not fighting at all like a halibut until I got it closer DDDDOOOOHHHHH LOL flipped it into the boat and the tiny english manI had freaked it scared the shiat out of him he almost was about to jump over board as he had never seen a fish like this before!!!!!! funny thing he says to me what the F%%K we going to do with that ugly thing if i was smart i would have said dont worry ill put it in the crab trap but no I said thats the best tasting fish ever thats going to be dinner im sure..
He then says Im not eating something that smells that bad we both laughed especially after i said im sure you have had worse in your mouth!!!!!!!!!!
I do miss it a lot up there as well had a lot of great times and met some awesome people.

A guy by the name of Ryan with some partners bought the chinook lodge and fixed it up really nice www.knightinletadventures.com he used to be a client up there and fell in love with knight inlet hope he can make a go of it...

thanks Wolf

One of my favourite hali stories,i was guiding in the Oueen Charlottes running the 17ft tin boats for North Island Lodge,first day on the job trolling for salmon on Marchand Reef 60ft of water side rod goes off ,my guest sets the hook and the rod torques over like a snag, except the snag starts to swim towards the beach ,as we get shallower i look over the side and see this huge hali swimming along,it keeps going towards the beach ,i reach over for the gaff ,no gaff and no nothing except the net and this baby isn't going in the net,so i get this brain wave and see if i can put this thing up on the beach and like a dog on a leach it slides right up on the beach,in the meantime i had one of the guests fing a good strong stick and i used it as a harpoon,it was quite the spectacle for sure wish i had a video camera . I was able to land it and it ended up weighting 98 lbs , what a first day fishing.

254 lbs, Port Hardy a couple of years ago. Berkley Gulp Squid, 60lb leader. 80 lb main braid. 45min-1hr to land.

NOT wormy-----coarser muscle segments, but tasted just like any other butt...... so there............

Hey Opti what about your first haly over 200, i think it was 214lbs i jumped in your boat to help you and left my guests doing donuts, Haly comes up we both crap our pants and put a couple shark hooks in it and in she comes, then i jumped on top of it and started beating the crap out of it.lol the good old days.

Or the haly we got Banning ,he played it for over 2 hours ,it was over 300 lbs when it came up we both hooked it pulled it in the boat then Banning said he has never seen a big haly pull the floats around,so we looked at each other and dumped her back over.Thats when the **** show started the thing went nuts,one float goes between the boat and the Honda and ripped the hook and shark hook out,no prob we still have it on the other shark hook,so we get a little serious and just as i grab the float i look down and see the last shark hook some how just fall out and the watch the beast swim away,i can still see the look on Bannings face when i told him it was gone,Priceless

254 lbs, Port Hardy a couple of years ago. Berkley Gulp Squid, 60lb leader. 80 lb main braid. 45min-1hr to land.

NOT wormy-----coarser muscle segments, but tasted just like any other butt...... so there............

Cuba Libre nice fish. Good thing you don’t have to pay $5.50 a pound for that one.

GLG
ThumbsUp.jpg

Mine was 122lbs also caught on salmon gear fishing for springs 60 feet down in 150ft of water. 45 mins to get up in 7 foot seas, go to harpoon it and it didn't go through! you think it would bolt to the bottom but it just sat there soooo one more crack and got it. All of my top 5 halis were caught trolling for salmon in the charlottes.

Hey Momma, you may have actually paralized the beast. Did it myself last year. Almost felt sorry for the ******* until I ate it.

I f%&ked up on a spear shot on a good one last year estimated about 120-130lbs
hit it right behind the head in bone and gristle.
not a good idea, friggin' thing went ballistic bending the harpoon shaft in the process. :(

Hung my head in shame.

Bananas, I would have paid to see Bannings face, he sure cracked us up in the old lunchroom, he would start headnoddin at coffee break then forehead to the table with a thunk! Then the fun began. Poor Bugger.

Back