Best filleting knife sharpener?

Chefs choice are excellent and foolproof. Love mine Read the instructions fast and easy with good results. Steel them after the sharpening and they will dice up paper with no drag. Costco had them last year for a 100.00 couldn't pass it up I now have two.

A filleting knife is usually sharpened at 19-21degrees on the secondary bevel. the trick is to do 10 strokes on one side then 9 on the other side, then 8 on the initial side and keep repeating till you’re doing single strokes per side. then finish off with a knife steel gently. i actually have more of an obtuse angle to remove any remaining burr. this gets it hair popping sharp.

like someone above said- it’s like a hobby. when they are sharp they are easy to maintain. i will sit there watching football with a nice glass of wine and sharpen my knives. when i sharpen “cause i have to “ i do a waaaay crappier job for some reason.
Prior to hunting season, I usually wait for a day where the family is out and sit in my garage with a cooler of beer and sharpen everything. Broadheads, skinning knifes, gutting knives, fillet knives, change the blade on the havalon, etc. Takes about 2-3 hours, usually because the neighbours see what I’m doing and bring some of their knives over for a touch up as well

Prior to hunting season, I usually wait for a day where the family is out and sit in my garage with a cooler of beer and sharpen everything. Broadheads, skinning knifes, gutting knives, fillet knives, change the blade on the havalon, etc. Takes about 2-3 hours, usually because the neighbours see what I’m doing and bring some of their knives over for a touch up as well
you had me at beer

Chef's Choice as I don't have the patience for a stone. Japanese fish knife only sees a stone my SIL the chef uses.

This is a little off topic but what cutting board material is best for not dulling knives? I use wood for everything…. Yes, even chicken. Is wood better or worse than plastic / rubber for the blade?

Best-Rated: Presto EverSharp Electric Knife Sharpener
Best Professional-Grade Option: Chef's Choice Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Knife Sharpener
Best for Different Blade Sizes: Presto Professional Electric Knife Sharpener
Best for Ceramic Knives: Kyocera Advanced Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
Best Two-in-One Option: Chef's Choice 290 AngleSelect Hybrid Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
Best for Japanese-Style Knives: Kai Cube Electric Knife Sharpener
Best Affordable Option: EdgeKeeper Electric Knife Sharpener
Best for Different Blade Types: Work Sharp Knife and Tool Sharpener
Easiest to Use: Wusthof Electric Knife Sharpener
Best for Kitchen Shears: GA Electric Knife Sharpener

Ordered a couple of knives from mikejonesknifeandtool and didn’t want them going through my chefs choice. Got a two sided diamond stone from him to sharpen them. Will admit there was a bit of a learning curve, and I’m probably still not that great at it compared to pros, but I like the challenge and can now get them very sharp. The learning process was quite satisfying, and now I keep it on the counter and can blast them tomato sharp in seconds.

Best Professional-Grade Option: Chef's Choice Trizor XV EdgeSelect Professional Knife Sharpener
Best Two-in-One Option: Chef's Choice 290 AngleSelect Hybrid Diamond Hone Knife Sharpener
Can’t beat a whet stone

i’m not a fan of sharpeners that remove steel. once you set your secondary bevel angle, you need only touch it up. i use a steel and i also use a strop. go to a thrift store and find a wide leather belt. glue it with contact cement to a piece of plywood same width as belt, with the flesh side out. get some polishing compound or jewellers rouge and rub it into the leather. then stop your blade. you’ll be shocked at how sharp you can make; and keep your blade

I was a meat cutter for 18 years and did a LOT of resharpening. I've used just about every kind of sharpener you can think of. My favorite is Gatco (like Lansky but better IMO) different knives work better on different systems. For my fillet knife i use a norton triple stone commercial set up and keep my angle as flat as possible to the factory edge.

I was a meat cutter for 18 years and did a LOT of resharpening. I've used just about every kind of sharpener you can think of. My favorite is Gatco (like Lansky but better IMO) different knives work better on different systems. For my fillet knife i use a norton triple stone commercial set up and keep my angle as flat as possible to the factory edge.
TSPROF is the best I've used and the most expensive.

i too have the Gatco system. love it. bigger stones than the Lansky guided rod system.

I use the diamond xtra course If i have to reset an angle and then up to the ultra fine with their regular stones and they come out hair splitting scalpel sharp. Not for my fillet knife as i mentioned before but for hunting knives and kitchen use can't beat it. Of course Grinder style motorized units are much faster but if you want to keep your knife longer and keep the factory clean looking edge super sharp go with the gatco

TSPROF is the best I've used and the most expensive.
That's a lot of chingo for a knife sharpener, I'll wage i can get mine just as sharp with the gatco system. But man it looks like good quality. More or less the same style system

Hello robot

Back