Scotty 1106 motor fix (and 2 riggers for sale)

A-a-Ron

I have excess downriggers looking to get rid of 2. One almost certainly has a fried motor (I’ve replaced the internal overload and troubleshooted cord/connections/etc)

Anybody know the best place to get a replacement motor? Just from Scotty or anyone know a more local lead?

I’d sell them as is for $600 (one works fine, one described above) they’ve got steel cable on them. Or I’d probably ask $800 when the one is all fixed up. Prices for the pair of course. Both with swivel bases… those things are like $100+ each these days. Will throw in a couple 12lb balls as well. Cheers

I've been dealing with Scotty about what sounds like the same issue the last couple days. If you can find one at one of their local service depots, you can do it yourself. If you can afford the downtime probably the best option is to send it to them. They will do it and send it back to you. Think their turnaround time is 2 weeks. You pay for the shipping there and any parts, they pay the shipping back. Then you know everything is done right.

Do you know what led to the motor being fried? With mine it works perfectly one day and then just didn't work at all a couple of days later. I have no idea how the damage could have happened.

Do you know what led to the motor being fried? With mine it works perfectly one day and then just didn't work at all a couple of days later. I have no idea how the damage could have happened.
Your sounds like the issue I’ve heard of about the internal relay failing or intermittent. I replace mine and it didn’t fix. I even connected battery direct to motor and nothing. That’s why I figured a fried motor.

It happened when I got hung up on bottom at Porlier, solo, playing a fish on the other side… had just popped that side rigger to ON as I was coming up on a sharp reef, went back to the fish, but still got hung up. I’m surprised the fuse didn’t blow but she kept churning away pretty good before I could get to it and shut it off.

Last edited:
Bad break. Hopefully you got the fish at least! I spent a lot of time on the phone with somebody from Scotty and they diagnosed mine as the motor. Same thing as you- connect straight from battery to motor, nothing but sparks. Highwater and Berry's both have some in stock right now apparently.

Back