Best filleting knife sharpener?

Deep6er

I was wonder what is the best sharpener for filleting knives? Have a couple I’d like to try to get back to the sharpness they had when I bought them

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Easy to learn, fast and great results every time.

I picked mine up on sale on Black Friday from Cabelas a couple years ago.

Work Sharp Ken Onion Edition. Easy to learn, fast and great results every time.

I picked mine up on sale on Black Friday from Cabelas a couple years ago.

Right on, thanks for this, ordered one today.

Boat looks great btw, fun chasing you guys around while nothing else much was going down last Friday haha!

Right on, thanks for this, ordered one today.

Boat looks great btw, fun chasing you guys around while nothing else much was going down last Friday haha!
Right on, you'll be impressed with sharpener. FYI, I sharpen my workhorse fillet knife to 20-degrees. That's the one that cuts through bones, etc. I have a "fine" fillet knife that I sharpen to 17.5 degrees for trimming rib bones, removing skin, etc. All of them, and the kitchen knives are sharp enough to shave with when they come off the sharpener.

Your boat was looking good too. Despite following you around when you weren't behind us, we didn't get any chums! Managed one 11 lb spring near the end of the day, a wild coho, and something that was gone as soon as it popped clip. A half dozen or so shakers too. Great day though!

The problem i have with the worksharp and that chefs choice is they sharpen by removing a small amount of metal. so if you are basically shortening the life of your knife.

i prefer to constantly “ touch “ up my filleting knife as i am using it. i have a good quality knife steel and i am steeling my knife several times per fish. once after i remove the first fillet, and again with the second fillet, and once more per side when doing the belly bones.

eventually it will get to the point where steeling the knife isnt enough , and this is where the lansky guided stone system comes in. lock knife into the jig and just a few swipes per side with the fine stone usually gets it scary again; finishing it off with a few strokes of the knife steel to remove any burr that may have developed.

i’m also a knife maker so i’m kinda anal about this stuff.
Agreed on the lansky but I honestly suck at sharpening knives. I have a chefs choice but it gets it ok ish. I have buddies that know how to sharpen knives well and it's a treat to watch and use after. Just get allot of verbal abuse about what I did to the poor thing while they fix it. Hats off to a guy like you who can shave with their blades!

I bought the chefs choice on reeltimes recommendation and yes it easier. However, it is quite crude and like rb said it takes a lot off. I can see myself only using the 1st and 2nd wheels once a year or less and then trying to maintain the edge with the polishing wheel. Which is essentially what I do with my good steel as well. It pretty much stays on the counter with me while I'm doing any kind of prep. The more you use it the less you have to reshape the edge.

Agreed on the lansky but I honestly suck at sharpening knives. I have a chefs choice but it gets it ok ish. I have buddies that know how to sharpen knives well and it's a treat to watch and use after. Just get allot of verbal abuse about what I did to the poor thing while they fix it. Hats off to a guy like you who can shave with their blades!
A filleting knife is usually sharpened at 19-21degrees on the secondary bevel. the trick is to do 10 strokes on one side then 9 on the other side, then 8 on the initial side and keep repeating till you’re doing single strokes per side. then finish off with a knife steel gently. i actually have more of an obtuse angle to remove any remaining burr. this gets it hair popping sharp.

like someone above said- it’s like a hobby. when they are sharp they are easy to maintain. i will sit there watching football with a nice glass of wine and sharpen my knives. when i sharpen “cause i have to “ i do a waaaay crappier job for some reason.

The problem i have with the worksharp and that chefs choice is they sharpen by removing a small amount of metal. so if you are basically shortening the life of your knife.

i prefer to constantly “ touch “ up my filleting knife as i am using it. i have a good quality knife steel and i am steeling my knife several times per fish. once after i remove the first fillet, and again with the second fillet, and once more per side when doing the belly bones.

eventually it will get to the point where steeling the knife isnt enough , and this is where the lansky guided stone system comes in. lock knife into the jig and just a few swipes per side with the fine stone usually gets it scary again; finishing it off with a few strokes of the knife steel to remove any burr that may have developed.

i’m also a knife maker so i’m kinda anal about this stuff.
Which Lansky system do you have? Diamond one or old school? Looking to get one myself as I don’t like “grinding off” my nice knives.

Which Lansky system do you have? Diamond one or old school? Looking to get one myself as I don’t like “grinding off” my nice knives.
I’ve got up to fine diamond. Just be careful as these are razor blades if time invested in doing a proper job

Kitchen Knives

We had a Chef's Choice and it started to really chew up our Henckel knives. I used a stone and a triangle for years on our knives but they get worn after 40 years

Ming Woo (the Cooking Store). used to offer free sharpening with Henckel knives when that stopped Henckel recommended a commercial knife sharpening store, They made a mess of the knives and I did my best to bring them hone. (pun)

Fishing Camping Hunting Knives

I have used Grohman knives for camping, hunting and filleting fish for years. I read on their website that they do mail order knife sharpening,

I always buy the factory seconds for myself , firsts for gifts.

$5.00 for their knives. $10.00 for other knives. I sent them 5 knives and including one of the Japanese Gyutou / Chef's Knife. They all came back like new. It was money well spent.

The kitchen supply store on Boundary near Lougheed does toonie Tuesday's on knife sharpening if you want to go that route. If they're not busy they'll do them on the spot. I've done it a few times but they really don't care about maintaining your point or anything. But they will cut.

Back