Best Air Fryer Recipes

Got to say though, I also hate cleaning the Microwave oven.
So many great points, thanks.

I find if you put a low edge bowl or high edge plate in the microwave with some water, turn it on for a fairly long spin, the steam effect affects the crap stuck to the inside, and it is simply a wipe down at that point. It is hot though, rubber gloves are handy.

I often take the circulating fan cover out of the convection oven and run it in the dishwasher with a load, that hot, caustic soapy water works great!

Well I think you nailed it. I have no more questions lol
Between being high risk for Covid and all the snow and ice, I have been getting cabin fever from hiding out in the Hobbit hole, then I get bored and verbose, and can touch type fast, not a good combination.

Asking which counter top air fryer I would recommend is a little like asking which vehicle I would recommend. It really depends on your needs and preferences and just like cars, there will be a great many opinions on which manufacturer or model is best. So what do you want it to maximize; quality of components and build, availability of replacement parts and after market accessories (name brand), value and low cost, quality of the fried food produced, amount of food, ease of cleaning etc.

For me, it is ease of cleaning combined with a good if not the absolute best outcome, because I don’t care how good of a fried product it produces, if I have to mess around much with cleaning after, it is not going to get used. New designs and variations seem to be coming out all the time, but for now my personal choice is one that the cooking compartment and components can all (with the possible exception of the surface with the fan screen) be removed for soaking, cleaning and are dishwasher safe.

These type usually have a handle that you can pull out that removes the cooking chamber for easy cleaning, as opposed to those that have doors like toaster ovens. If they have a door, they are a lot like small versions of full size range ovens, except they don’t come with self-cleaning. If they have doors, cleaning is always going to be more of a pain than the pull-out type. Sure you can remove the drip tray, and racks etc. to clean them and those parts are typically dishwasher safe, but you typically still have to reach in and clean all the oven surfaces and the inside of the door, not just the one surface with the fan screen.

An example of the pull-out type I have used is the Ninja that Costco was selling a while back. It produces a very good crispy fried product and was reasonably priced at around $100. at the time. The downside with it, and this is true of the vast majority of air fryers of the pull-out type, is that I find it small. It is fine for one person, even a large man, but for two big eaters or a family, in my view does not fry enough food in one go.

They are now making a few pull out type that will make a larger volume of fried food, which I have not yet tried. For example, Philips makes a couple of larger volume pull-out types that will take a whole chicken or 1.4 kg of fries and has lots of bells and whistles like an excess fat removal function and what looks like some sort of air vortex technology and has additional accessories that you can purchase. They are however expensive, and I would think in Canada you will get into the $350. or $400. plus range.

https://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/HD9654_96/premium-airfryer-xxl#see-all-benefits

Chefman also makes a larger pull out type at a much better price than Phillips, but there may be a difference in quality.

Besides the pull-out type and the door type, there is another type. I have an Instant Pot Ultra computerized pressure cooker which I use a lot. I purchased an air fryer lid for it, so essentially one appliance on the counter but with two lids. It converts the pressure cooker to a top loading air fryer appliance. In terms of ease of cleaning, this is a great option as all components can be removed for cleaning and the dishwasher except for the lid with the motor and fan. While the lid which houses the fan screen cannot be put in the dishwasher, the lid can be turned over and cleaned a lot easier than trying to clean the fixed fan screen surface in either the door type or the pull-out type. It is also a little larger capacity than some pull out types. It does produce a good result, but not quite as good as the Ninja pull out, and I assume some other pull-outs, probably because it is adapted rather than purpose built from scratch as an air fryer.

Something else I have is the Gotham Steel Crisper Tray system for the big range major appliance ovens. They come in a small size and an XL size, and I use both. If it is a large convection oven it will enhance the air frying capability of the oven by allowing the forced air to circulate all around the fries or wings, and even if your oven does not have convection capability, I find you get a decent result on the great Cavendish Farms frozen McDonald's size fries with just the Crisper tray.

I have noticed that the major kitchen appliance manufactures have taken notice of the air frying fad. Some now have an air frying option on their big ranges. Now is this just good marketing by renaming the convection function or are they actually making their convection ovens better and faster at air frying with greater air flow etc. I suspect the latter. For those of us who hate cleaning, all large ovens that have an air fry/convection option are likely to have the self clean function to super heat and turn that burnt on food and oil to easy to wipe out ash powder. I was reading about a manufacturer that has developed some sort of built-in steam cleaning function. I may have to get myself a new range.
There are also some over range built in microwave ovens that also air fry, so lots of options out there if you don’t want to clutter up your counter space. Got to say though, I also hate cleaning the Microwave oven.
Please elaborate.

The air fryer is this generations George Foreman grill
You are exactly right, just what every home
needs is a medium size appliance that only cooks 1 portion of french fries and chicken wings. Because we don’t get enough of those when we go out to eat.

Greoge Foreman Grill, bread maker, keurig coffee pods, air friers, I will take useless things you don’t need for $500 please Alex.

You are exactly right, just what every home
needs is a medium size appliance that only cooks 1 portion of french fries and chicken wings. Because we don’t get enough of those when we go out to eat.

Greoge Foreman Grill, bread maker, keurig coffee pods, air friers, I will take useless things you don’t need for $500 please Alex.

Never had a GF grill, but wings and fries are a lot better in an air fryer.
tried them in convection oven and not as good.

Anyone cooking breaded chicken or pork cutlets, in your air fryer?
Yes all the time works great super crispy and juicy for two people wich we are now I find it super convenient, the kids bought it for us and besides the Christmas baking I cant remembrerthe last time the oven was used. I have cooked everything in ours from scones( on parchment paper), to the strip loins I made in it today we love the thing it's even gone camping with us a far cry from a Foreman grill....imo

Apparently air frying a doughnut and putting ice cream on top is a thing. A friend is raving about it, anyone try this yet?

I can't help but think "air frying" is when you utilize the spinning feature. Otherwise it's just a convection oven no? So sure air fryers can act as a second oven and bake things well, but you're not air frying unless the food is rotating around using a small amount of oil to FRY the food. I'm probably overthinking this...

I can't help but think "air frying" is when you utilize the spinning feature. Otherwise it's just a convection oven no? So sure air fryers can act as a second oven and bake things well, but you're not air frying unless the food is rotating around using a small amount of oil to FRY the food. I'm probably overthinking this...
My air fryerdoes not rotate but cooks food using a high volume of air. My standard sized convection oven has a fan but doesn’t move air anywhere near the rate of my countertop air fryer. I also don’t need to wait very long for the air fryer to heat up as it can be used almost immediately after starting. Time saving and energy saving.

Cooking space is a clear limitation so my next air fryer will definitely have a second rack to allow more capacity.

My air fryerdoes not rotate but cooks food using a high volume of air. My standard sized convection oven has a fan but doesn’t move air anywhere near the rate of my countertop air fryer. I also don’t need to wait very long for the air fryer to heat up as it can be used almost immediately after starting. Time saving and energy saving.

Cooking space is a clear limitation so my next air fryer will definitely have a second rack to allow more capacity.
Ah ok I'm starting to get it now. I've never actually seen one in person outside of a box. I thought they all rotated originally

These seem like first world problems just have fun with the thing cook everything in it some are great some fail don't over think it its a convenient little appliance that works for some and maybe not for others...hey that's kinda like me!! Lol

Second rack, like a two compartment unit, or one compartment with an elevated rack?
One compartment with an elevated rack would be my preference. I haven’t shopped for one so I don’t even know what available. Making due with what we’ve got.

Back