Benefits of Garmin Clearvu vs "Traditional" sonar view

BananasQ

So, bit of a newbie here. Finally got a finder on my 12' boat and was out on the prowl jigging for springs. I have a Garmin 4CV vivid and was running it in Traditional and Clearvu mode, fish alarm on but otherwise out of the box settings with I the stock GT20 transducer. Clearvu didn't give me any fish alarms and the one that I did catch was from the Traditional view (pinged a fish at 70' in 200' that I managed to hook up) and likewise there was typically less going on on the Clearvu than the Traditional views. I also plan to take the kid out and target some lings or the like, but just looking for some advice here, what is the critical insights that Clearvu gives you over the Traditional, so I can look to use that data in the right way at the right time. Is it for looking at bottom structure better, and if fishing deep (100' to 200') should I be zooming in?

I have the Garmin Panoptix livevu PS30 ducer. The youtube videos purport to show your flashers *spinning* on the troll, which helps to know that you're not towing a shaker or seaweed and thus able to reduce the # of gear checks, however I've never seen the flasher actually spinning but rather just a blob. Perhaps I need to adjust my settings to see this, but so far not able to make it happen. On the other hand, I have found the livevu to be super helpful in understanding *where* the bait is. I have a couple thru-hull airmars (SS175HW, SS175M) that give a great traditional 2D view, but coupled with the livevu's 120 beam I can see bait way off to the side of the boat that isn't on the airmars. I have a great photo of my plotter showing an empty 2D traditional screen but the livevu shows a massive bait ball off to the port side. This info helps me to steer left/right to get on top of the bait and also helps when trying to circle a bait ball.

I've tried using it jigging for lings but haven't yet seen any killer screens with fish moving around my gear. verdict's still out on that.

So, moral is that the panoptix is definitely helpful, but not in ways I had anticipated. $1500 purchase, YMMV.

I use clear vu and side vu at the same time for structure etc, hoping to idle over that Boeing 737 artificial reef in Chemainus to see what it looks like on the screen. I really like the dual frequency choice for medium to deep water, it is 200KHZ and chirp, the detail that chirp misses in deeper water is really noticeable.

Have you tried some of MG Marine Tech YouTube video settings he suggests for clear vu and for side vu? Great guy with helpful video info, has his own channel, I am on his FB page for Garmin too, so many questions to learn from on there.

Back