BC boat Prices

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
Is it just me or are the prices people are asking for boats on craigslist insane? There are some boats on there that are reposted almost daily for months on end but they never think to reduce the price. There is one particular trophy which I kind of like but when comparing the price the the exact same model in the seatle there is a 5500 dollar diffrence don't these people do a little research before posting a boat for sale? Do you think the options included make that big of diffrence? Are 5-10 year old electonics, kicker motors and fishing equipment really worth the extra cost of the boat? Why do people think there boats are worth so much in Canada? and if you where selling or buying a boat how would you determine fair market value?

Is it just me or are the prices people are asking for boats on craigslist insane? There are some boats on there that are reposted almost daily for months on end but they never think to reduce the price. There is one particular trophy which I kind of like but when comparing the price the the exact same model in the seatle there is a 5500 dollar diffrence don't these people do a little research before posting a boat for sale? Do you think the options included make that big of diffrence? Are 5-10 year old electonics, kicker motors and fishing equipment really worth the extra cost of the boat? Why do people think there boats are worth so much in Canada? and if you where selling or buying a boat how would you determine fair market value?

I've been buying and selling boats on craigslist for over 5 years. A lot of people have boats listed for months or even years at prices that are way too high. Usually they paid too much for their boat in the first place or had to put thousands into it to keep it running and want to get their money back. Unfortunately with boats you never get your money back. They are just way too expensive to maintain.

The people that are serious about selling their boat and list it at a reasonable price sell their boats quickly. The rest just linger for sale until they either drop the price or find a sucker that doesn't know the value and over pays.

These days importing from the states is an option so fair market value should include comparable boats in the states. Just remember to include the transportation cost, boarder hassle/wait times, GST/HST, trailer registration and effort to import a boat in your calculation. For 5500 price difference looking at the states is a good option. If the price difference were only 1000 I would rather buy a local boat than go through all the trouble and cost to import.

If you price your boat well it will sell quick. A lot of the boat you see on Craigslist are actual from the states pay close attention to the hull number on the boat they love to try and hide the number so you don't know where there selling it.

Usually they paid too much for their boat in the first place or had to put thousands into it to keep it running and want to get their money back. Unfortunately with boats you never get your money back. They are just way too expensive to maintain.

This sums it up, guys don't want to take a loss on their boat, even though they've put a ton of hours on it since they originally bought it. Also there just aren't very many buyers these days for serious fishing rigs, it makes more sense to a lot of guys to have a cruiser/fishing boat instead of a hardcore rig. Can't blame them, who wants to spend $30,000 for a boat only to be restricted to hatchery fish or wonder if halibut will even be open on your holidays.

I also think a lot of guys just put them online for an inflated price not really trying to sell, but hey if a sucker bites why not.

Watch out for hurricane boats coming from the east coast!

Remember the old quote: "The two happiest days you own a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it"

Remember the old quote: "The two happiest days you own a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it"

This only applies to those who buy their boat for boating, not fishing. Fisherman use boats. Boaters don't.

Yes they're insane but lucky for them a sucker is born every minute and some people still think it's a difficult process to import.

I bought mine in the states this year, very easy process and got a sweet deal! Just do your homework and youl be fine. I was also finding that local boats were way over priced, if you have any questions regarding importation let me know.... Cheers

Sudsy

I also bought my boat in the US and it was for me it was a simple process to bring into Canada. Yes the boats are cheaper in the US, but the other big thing is if you want specif features in a boat, there is a better chance that you will find it across the border. However, be careful, that you don't end up with a boat that was damaged by a hurricane and don't forget to factor in all of the costs (transportation, riv costs, HST, exchange, inspections, trailer modifications, etc). For details on how to import a boat from the USA go to the following website:

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

Striper 23 with twin 150 yammis back in 2007 before I bought my boat here was 83k I think out the door down there 59k what a joke. The dealer would not match the price or even go and pick this one up for me. I did not buy it in the end as my wife did not like the style of it. So I went with the trophy 2359. But that's a huge difference

I also bought my 4th boat down south. I only buy used boats as I can't afford the prices for new ones and also because they di-value so quickly, and for the amount of use per year that I get out of it, it would be a waste of my hard earned money to buy new. Another point on buying new in the USA is the whole warranty issue. I like mid size aluminum boats 19' -23' and to find them I have to look in the Great Lakes area where they need larger fresh water boats. I usually avoid any coastal boats as I don't know what kind of services the owner has done and salt water is less forgiving than fresh water. So far I have not have any trouble of any kind with the boats or at the border. I just kept upgrading but now I am happy to keep my 93 Lund Sport Cabin 2250 and just repair it when it needs it, they are built like a tank! I found that even with the cost of shipping the boat from Michigan or Ohio, I could never match the boat around here, if I find one. The extra money can be used to outfit the boat with new electronics/equipment.
Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Last year I developed arthritis in both knees (my river fishing days are numbered) so my wife and I decided to buy a boat; nothing fancy or big, just a comfortable sturdy boat for fair weather inshore fishing. We found one, a 16' Harbercraft with trailer & 50 hp motor (and otherwise 'bare-bones'). The asking price was simply staggering, we could not believe it, more than our brand new Ford Escape 4x4. It only took several hours on the internet to find the identical boat for sale in California for almost exactly one third the asking price here. To be fair, it is several years older but NEVER used in salt water and beautifully cared for plus it's loaded, sounder, gear,riggers, the works. We made a bit of a holliday out of the trip, drove down the Oregon Coast, spent a fab day in 'Frisco', picked up the boat and drove home on I-5. Absolutely no problem at the border; they were super. Since then, out of curiosity, I have found numerous similar boats south of the 49th and I can't imagine ever purchasing one up here. My job now is to get it all 'spruced' up for the comming season and I hope to make use of all the great advice I can find on this forum.
twogone

I love the ads that say reduced but it is the same price as the last 6 months.

Back