Bass reports

thanx yote, you too, ill be the guy in the middle of the "codfather" what are you fishing out of?

I'll be in a 12' tinnie with an 8 hp Mariner on the back.

We're camping there for the weekend in spot 20. C-U there.

ya my buddy I'm fishing with has a spot there (permanent i think but not sure) that I'm going down to with our 3rd fisherman on sat. nite. I dont know the #, but we'll be the goofs with the maroon cherokee.

So how did the tournament go for you guys? I heard it was thoroughly pounded beforehand. What were the biggest fish caught? Any cars won? Were there more entrants this year than last?

Well you all would have known if I won any money. It was pounded pretty hard but there were still some nice fish weighed in. The biggest a 4.5 pounder won by a 13 year old kid, that was great. second place was a 3.8 and then five 3.6's so all in all some nice fish. I believe they sold 245 tickets. Up from last year. 1st place won 2200.00 and second was 1300.00, not too shabby for a family derby.

Learned some good info for next year.

it must have been thouroughly pounded cause my boat got skunked! man that was embarrasing. lucky kid tho, guess that'll go to a nice car or something when he's old enough. too crowded for me though, dont know if I'll be in the tourny again.

It's a tough derby to fish and you just have to stick with what you think will work and have confidence in your presentation. Hopefully you guess right. I only fish plastics and sometimes I think that I should switch up to other ways of fishing for these critters.n It'll be even bigger next year. More money to be won too.

Does any one know what the biggest fish was caught on? And what lures seemed to be the most succesful? I hear of lots of people using live worms never tried it myself though.
Thanx FH

I honestly have a hard time seeing real worms winning in that lake. With the huge amount of little bass and all those sunfish, you'd be changing your worm every minute!

I'm hitting Shawnigan tomorrow if anyone wants a report.

Edited by - Eric on 06/20/2005 16:44:55

sure a report would be great, mainly what area the fish are in (i've never fished shawnigan but it sounds like a great bass lake). as for the live worms a lot of people were using them, but i'd agree witht the difficulty of using them. most people were using plastics from what i saw. topwaters are great there too in the shade.

Shawnigan was awesome. Docks in the western arm were top notch. We saw tons of fish following lures but couldn't make a lot of them bite. Then we left (caught about 10 or so) and tried the various humps and underwater structure with various fish biting (probably the ones crusing the shallows looking for a meal).
Then we headed back to the arm, found the pattern (anything with blue, go figure) and slammed em. Two of us hooked over 30 fish. Biggest were 3lbs+ (3 or them)
The bite was good but the presentation had to be slow, like tubes and grubs. No go with spinnerbaits or fast crankbaits.

WOW sounds like quite the trip. howd you rig the grubs? and did you try topwaters atall? I've got a nice little blue popper that those smallies just love that I could see doing some serious damage.

Topwater was non-existant over the various rocks, humps and shallows we hit. Only tried topwater near one or two docks.
I rigged the 3" grubs on a light darter head jig. Typical bouncing retrieve.

when is the derby and can me and my friend take his 14ft with a 20 merc in the lake??oh yah and how much

when is the derby and can me and my friend take his 14ft with a 20 merc in the lake??oh yah and how much

If you are asking about the Quennell lake tournament, it is almost always on Father's day in June. As it is a bit if a gong-show, they take any boat (have seen canoes, float tubes and big bass boats!) and I think it's $25.
The WCBA will be having a BC Open tournament on Shawnigan lake on April 14th this year. But the cost is $100 per team.

If you are asking about the Quennell lake tournament, it is almost always on Father's day in June. As it is a bit if a gong-show, they take any boat (have seen canoes, float tubes and big bass boats!) and I think it's $25.
The WCBA will be having a BC Open tournament on Shawnigan lake on April 14th this year. But the cost is $100 per team.

Back