Bass reports

"anyone have suggestions for fishing that lake?"

I'll let you know what I did after I win that derby. ;)

I have had great success with tubes in Quennell. The smallmouth in that lake seem to really relate to the weeds and lily pads. To rig the tube; use a 3/0 or 2/0 hook and internal weight so it is weedless. This will help with less hang ups. Or try it rigged Texas style. Not quite as slime resistant but still better than a tube with a jig head.
Spinnerbaits work okay too. Haven't had a lot of luck with soft plastics like worms and such there. Crankbaits are really limited as there is a ton of 'garbage' in the water and clarity is almost nil.
But that has been my experience.

I have had great success with tubes in Quennell. The smallmouth in that lake seem to really relate to the weeds and lily pads. To rig the tube; use a 3/0 or 2/0 hook and internal weight so it is weedless. This will help with less hang ups. Or try it rigged Texas style. Not quite as slime resistant but still better than a tube with a jig head.
Spinnerbaits work okay too. Haven't had a lot of luck with soft plastics like worms and such there. Crankbaits are really limited as there is a ton of 'garbage' in the water and clarity is almost nil.
But that has been my experience.

thanx for the info, i was using tubes with an internal jig head at westwood when we were slaying them there. do you jig them, or crawl them along the bottom like a worm? any hints on colour?

thanx for the info, i was using tubes with an internal jig head at westwood when we were slaying them there. do you jig them, or crawl them along the bottom like a worm? any hints on colour?

I chuck or skip them at the weeds edge, let them drop, watch the line for hits and then hop em along the bottom.
Best luck has been browns and greens for some reason. I also use an internal rattle when I can.
Can't wait to hear how you do.

I chuck or skip them at the weeds edge, let them drop, watch the line for hits and then hop em along the bottom.
Best luck has been browns and greens for some reason. I also use an internal rattle when I can.
Can't wait to hear how you do.

I'm gonna go do a westwood fish again on friday, let you know how it goes...

I'm gonna go do a westwood fish again on friday, let you know how it goes...

My best rig, bar none, that will outfish almost every other lure on a continual basis is the 4 1/2 inch berkly finess worm first in black and second choice motor oil third pumkin seed with the smallest splitshot that you can still cast with pinched right at the nose of the worm with a gamagatzu or if you must, an eagle claw featherlight worm hook. When things are really slow, pinch off the first inch of the worm, to the smooth bump on the worm. This slows the decent a lot and keeps the worm in the strike zone a lot longer.

Try this and get ready to hang on!

My best rig, bar none, that will outfish almost every other lure on a continual basis is the 4 1/2 inch berkly finess worm first in black and second choice motor oil third pumkin seed with the smallest splitshot that you can still cast with pinched right at the nose of the worm with a gamagatzu or if you must, an eagle claw featherlight worm hook. When things are really slow, pinch off the first inch of the worm, to the smooth bump on the worm. This slows the decent a lot and keeps the worm in the strike zone a lot longer.

Try this and get ready to hang on!

for big smallies, i usually go with a nice 6 inch black, purple, or watermelon powerlizard rigged texas style in cover, or carolina if im dragging over open ground. for number of fish though a chartreuse tube rigged with an internal head is tough to beat.

for big smallies, i usually go with a nice 6 inch black, purple, or watermelon powerlizard rigged texas style in cover, or carolina if im dragging over open ground. for number of fish though a chartreuse tube rigged with an internal head is tough to beat.

well with the horrible wind fridays session didnt go all that well, only landed a combined 9 in about 2 hrs, with no significant size landed (although we lost one decent one). maybe trying quennell on sunday or might go chinook fishin...

well with the horrible wind fridays session didnt go all that well, only landed a combined 9 in about 2 hrs, with no significant size landed (although we lost one decent one). maybe trying quennell on sunday or might go chinook fishin...

anyone been out lately? thinkin of pre fishing quennell on friday...

no, I did the very first year it was held, but never since (usually salmon fishing by this time). Helped the winner net their fish (they were trying to use a plastic bag. However didnt get anything substaintial myself. Looking forward to better results this year, gonna do a pre fish tomorrow seeing as i havent fished there in quite a while.

I went into it last year and had a lot of fun. Nothing really big came in but it's all relative. Only the top three get the cash and then there were a ton of draw prizes. I'll be there again this year. I want the 2 g's.

well hopefully the tournament goes as well as the pre fish, got a bunch with the biggest one pushing 4 pounds, a very fat 20 inches.

Back