Bamfield tuna shootout!!! September 22 - october 1

+1 for deckhand spot, don't know too many people on here, but if a seat is open will contribute $ share + gear. Feel free to pm to discuss ?

Adding to the list for deckhands

Dogbreath
smtw

Other boats

Captain Kidd
Fifth Element

Carl I'll have a spot for you for sure somewhere.

0 for me, was in the right place saw 3 tuner boats heading out as I was goin in. couldnt find 58 59 60 water but it was blue spent 6 hours trolling, gear and boat were working awsome. dont like the feeling of being the only sporty on the water. most of the time the water was 57.5 to 57.9 water was nice could do 22 to 25mph. will do better next time.

OK lets get a list of boats going, guys who need deckhands, and deckhands who wanna go. (And can afford to and can handle it...)

These are the boats I have so far

TunaDon
Mills Landing
Slivo
Bobber John
Harper44
Greenhornet - I believe based on what I know...
Finished Business
DAK
Crazy other Dave from Calgary and his Whaler of joy!
Bod - Just guessin'
Gamechanger
Tykkt e blue ??

That is 12 friggin boats!! What a fleet that size will accomplish should be pretty wild.

Would be great to have you Tofino guys meet us out there and then come to the village for the after party!! (Which is gonna be something in itself)

Deckhands looking

Hambone
Lorneparker1

Also still looking for sponsors in any capacity. Have had a cash sponsorship of $500 from one of the members and some other offers. Any money going into this event is coming right back out!! I just can't wait.

Slivo is out there right now, can't wait till he gets back with a report!!

Trophywife - In or out *****??

Jeff
I fish out of Renfrew, and I know we will have a few boats from this end wanting to join up, ? how many miles for the tuna

For anyone that watches Deadlest Catch I think slivo is the "Elliot" the youngest tuna captain and more worried about his bride to be with all the wedding plans.

For anyone that watches Deadlest Catch I think slivo is the "Elliot" the youngest tuna captain and more worried about his bride to be with all the wedding plans.

zzzzzzzing,, har har slivo

I just got back from a trip to Washington and stopped in to visit Ken Pinnell at Qcove. He put together a nice prize package for the shoot out. I took some pic's and will post them up in the morning. Great guy and a nice donation for sure. If anyone is heading over to Mills Landing from Nanaimo next week or weekend could you PM me. Hoping someone can deliver this stuff to Jeff. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sculpin

im heading over for a week next week . you could drop it off with Derek or PNT .
i could take it to him if ya like

you not participating John ??

I will be picking up a bunch of gear from pnt regardless , let me know

later

felix

I just got back from a trip to Washington and stopped in to visit Ken Pinnell at Qcove. He put together a nice prize package for the shoot out. I took some pic's and will post them up in the morning. Great guy and a nice donation for sure. If anyone is heading over to Mills Landing from Nanaimo next week or weekend could you PM me. Hoping someone can deliver this stuff to Jeff. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Sculpin

id be willing to deck hand, and of course would pay my share. seems there is quite a few a head of me though

best of luck to all involved, looks like its going to be a great time!

im heading over for a week next week . you could drop it off with Derek or PNT .
i could take it to him if ya like

you not participating John ??

I will be picking up a bunch of gear from pnt regardless , let me know

later

felix

That should work Felix. PM sent.

Thanks,
John

Here is the nice prize package that Ken Pinnell of Qcove tackle is donating to the shootout.

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

Lead heads of various weights and Big Hammer swim bait bodies of various colours. Nice!

IMG_2701.jpg

Here's a little something that I am personally going to donate. I picked up a parcel of BD Swag from goatram's place when I was down in Washington. I ordered a couple of extra things so I figured they would make a great prize. I picked up some tuna tackle for myself and others while down there and thought I would throw in a few cedar plugs of different colours into the pot.

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2705.jpg

The hats are good quality and that halibut sticker doesn't get printed very often and is very sought after. Very cool sticker.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
OK they had the Westport Tuna classic last weekend. Caught the biggest albie in the history of tourny 39.12 Lbs after bleeding. Also caught bluefin tuna here is 1 report. I have to figure where to clear customs on straight line down 160 mile. If I can go at cruise speed would make it in 6 hrs and 600 liters gas. Would make that tourny next year with a couple guys.

But if you would have also told me that TEAM DEFIANCE would catch the largest fish both days, the largest albacore ever seen in an OTC or WTC event, a BLUEFIN TUNA, and a collective 174 fish, I would tell you YOU'RE OFF YOUR ROCKER!

Well....YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT HAPPENED!!!

THERE I WAS....

With two killer crews on the team boats, we were bound to have a good trip. We arrived thursday afternoon to load with ice and bait and put the boats in the slips. The OTC had a new format this year. They consolidated the events from 4 events to two events and made the Ilwaco and Garibaldi events 2 day events, effectively cancelling the Charleston and Newport/Depoe Bay portion of the tournament. This bodes well for us who hale from the Seattle/Port Orchard region.

Friday's new format had a "leave when you want" rule with no captain's meeting but a "lines in" time of 7:30AM. We departed the dock around 5:30AM and headed offshore to arrive at our destination 10 minutes before 7:30AM. We floated around as we readied our troll gear and put in at the mark. We did not even have time to deploy the outriggers and we were bit on the QCOVE TNT Spreader Bar trailing a Ballyhood Albacore Allstar in Purple/Black. We converted to bait and Arvin hooked up immediately. This fish was little more squirrely though, running up to the bow, down through the screws, back out, and diving underneath the boat. As I grab the gaff, two more guys hook up. Arvin calls "color" and then starts studdering...

"COLOR....UM...UMMMMMM. THIS FISH HAS SHORT FINS. IT DOESN'T HAVE LONGFINS...UMMMM......SHORT FINS MEANS BLUEFIN!!!!! HELL YEAAAAA!"

After this fight it was easy to see why bluefin are king of the tuna family. This little 14 lb. bluefin tuna put up the fight of a 25lb. plus albie and didn't do death circles at the side of the boat.

I'm ******' pumped boys.

Hell of a good batch of fellas heading out there. Would be great to see some Renfrew guys out there for sure!!

Thanks John for everything. You better be in there pal.

54 degree water at the big bank yesterday... I don't think we'll be going far by that time of the year.

Don - lets get it on!

No need to go anywhere, there's a dead 20 pounder on the bottom below the gas dock at Clutesi Haven Marina along with dozens of dead Macks.:(

Looks like the warm water is encouraging them to come in a lot closer than we think.

Very cool idea for a tourney up there! Being completely hooked on tuna fishing, I am thinking of heading north of the boarder yet again for some tuna with you guys. Next week we are heading for Quatsino Sound, and I would venture out a ways for some tuna if they are within range. Any ideas on where they are? Going to bring my tuna gear in any case adn will post if I find them!

Congratulations to Kirstie and Jason (youngest tuna captain in fleet) on their marriage sat. Jason will you be changing forum name to something like "Mr Kirstie " sounds pretty good. Will you be practicing for tuna shootout when you guys up here next few days?

Back