2015 Bamfield Tuna Shootout

Anyways back to the derby...

It was a great week even though the weather was relentless. Everyone caught fish and a number of new crews popped their tuna cherries. Thanks again to everyone who came out and a big thanks to our sponsors! Can't wait for next year.

Aggregate
1. Jesse's Rig-Port Renfrew
2. Trophy Hunter-Bamfied
3. Charlie's Cat- Port Renfrew

Biggest fish - Jesse's Rig
Smallest fish- Finatic

Awesome job Kelly. Thanks for all your hard work. Thanks to everyone that made it happen, and thanks to the great sponsors. It was a great week despite the weather delays. Lots of fun and a great bunch to hang out with when we weren't on the water.

Any pics of the biggest hog?

TIA
~~~~~~~~

edit

Maybe this is it

12036388_904004043006970_852730713711503839_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Any pics of the biggest hog?

TIA
~~~~~~~~

edit

Maybe this is it

12036388_904004043006970_852730713711503839_n.jpg

Roger, that was the biggest. Unfortunately, as often the case with fishing, we missed the big boys by days. The week before the derby had a big grade out there. Next time!

What i expected was a mature response to a reasonable request. It was no skin off anyone's a$$ to change the channel.

I put it on this thread as it was the participants in this event that we could hear plain as day.

Any ways, hope all the entrants had a great time.

i will be entering next year!! Swell Dancer killed a few!! our biggest was 22lb... could not find a big school!

great group of fisherman working together to get on fish!! except one guy that sounded like a burn=out that would not give up numbers.just kept saying to his buddy boat that they were fishing the same tack as the other day,, then when asked ,radio silence. that was disappointing for what is supposed to be a lets go get em derby!!..

Great job Kelly. Mills, BAMFIELD and all the volunteers/ sponsors... It would be great to see this derby grow!

What i expected was a mature response to a reasonable request. It was no skin off anyone's a$$ to change the channel.

I put it on this thread as it was the participants in this event that we could hear plain as day.

Any ways, hope all the entrants had a great time.

If a small group of boats fishing in relatively close proximity is getting walked on, wouldn't it make more sense for them to change channels? How would a 35+ boat fleet spread between Nitinat and Clayquot possibly change channels in the middle of a derby, only half the fleet is in radio contact and we don't even have cell service while fishing or at the dock to get the message out. The "mature" thing to do would have been is to change your channel until the end of the derby then call the organizers and request them to use a different channel next year. You really did sound like a dick asking us to get off your channel and Kelly's tongue-in-cheek response was warranted.

Anyways, what an awesome event again this year! Good to see some old faces and some new ones. Seems to me like guys are really starting to figure out what it takes to fish tuna consistently, even in tough fishing conditions and I guess that's what it's all about! Big thanks to the sponsors and especially to Kelly for all his hard work, nailed it again.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inevitably with cash on the line some participants will choose to be a little more discreet...I heard the same radio calls you are referring to, I had to chuckle when the radio silence was the only answer.

We managed to choose our window wisely and went on the Thursday as many did. The ride out was a little scattered but more than bearable. Reaching the grounds the seas laid down and the sun came up. Oil calm water with a slight roll, not much more to ask for. The surface water was ripple free and offered a great view into what lays beneath. We managed to scratch our way to 21 tuna, 19 to the boat, releasing 5 and losing 2. There were very few multiple hook-ups, just reading the water and finding a fish at a time.
In between bites we were rewarded with a lively ocean, seeing several blue sharks prowling the surface, small schools of 10" mola, a large 5' mola, and a lone steelhead. At one time, albacore were swimming with the boat just under the bow.
The derby, like the ride in, was smooth sailing. Thanks to Kelly and the other folks in town who help put it together.

Night Train..
This was my first time on Tuna, new boat and pretty dam green to say the least. I understood there was going to be alot of help and team work. Well there was...yes there were secrets and not alot of ## being shared when people were asking. But we were not expecting to be babysat!!! Everyone was very respectful and kind to us newbies. Kelly you did a top notch job!! everyone was great. we learned so much...next year i think we might actually catch a few more. We got 10 Tuna and are proud that we got them. Thursday was like paradise out there. we won a great prise and thank everyone for your hospitality....see you next year and with confidence.. thanks again

Hello Everyone, I have a friend/business acquaintance that does your derby every year and I think he sponsors it as well and has been telling me all about this derby!! Myself and my crew are super interesting in joining this for next year but would like some of your opinions on a few things. First off I have a tremendous amount of boating/fishing experience just not 50 miles offshore and not for tuna.. I have a brand new Kingfisher2425 with a 250hp main and 25hp kicker, it is fully loaded with all top of the line electronics but only has a 85 gallon fuel tank. The fuel tank is my main concern as the boat can handle big water no problem. I average about 10-12 gallons per/hr at 28-30mph. Just wondering if anyone has similar boats and fuel capacity and would love to hear about your experiences that far offshore. I attached a picture of the boat and a big congratulations to everyone that participated in this years derby!!!20150829_093710.jpgKingfisher 2425 Rear Radar.jpg

I also in no means am I trying to hi-jack this tread or mean any disrespect to anyone on here. Just looking for some opinions on my boat and if you guys think its sea worthy 50 miles offshore etc. A PM is greatly appreciated or any of your comments or suggestions. Thanks Everyone:)

looks new and reliable....i would say you would be limited to great weather days tho... how does that open bow behave if takes on two or three big gulps of water? maybe experience some of your boats characteristics before committing.. i have a 2625 kingfisher with a 300hp.. 125 gal tank.. in good weather and not loaded down with tuners on the way back =unfortunately. i burned only 250 litres.. in no way would i go out with an open bow.. maybe get a custom cover made? have you had the boat out in a tighter swell than 1.5m@10s? because that can be a good day.. definitely learn the boat, maybe add some bigger and better dual bilge pumps as it is not a wash thru deck?.. learn the weather and waves... lots of support from this great group of tuna guys ... hope to see you at the next TUNA SHOOT OUT!!

Thanks for the info!! The front bow is self bailing but the rear fish deck isn't but I have dual 1300gph pumps. Any thoughts?

And no I have not been out in over 10' swells lol:) 6-8' and it was no problem. Sorry I miss read your reply. I don't know if I was in 1.5meter waves 10seconds apart but I was salmon fishing for 5 days in Sooke Sept. long weekend and we were pretty far out and there was full Gail warning on Saturday with 35knot winds and it was very rough and my buddy was a bit scared so we went back in to the harbour but I was out for at least an hour and never took much water over the bow and for sure the waves were at least 5-6' and probably 5-6s apart. Even though the front bow is self bailing i'm wondering how long it would take to clear if i get swamped.. Also it might look big in the picture but the front bow isnt that bid and less then 30cm deep. A front bow cover is an excellent idea!!!

And no I have not been out in over 10' swells lol:) 6-8' and it was no problem.

1.5 meter swell... is no problem.... its the tightness under 10 seconds that gets scary in our smaller boats.

A couple old fashioned manual pumps don't take up much room and could come in handy the boat itself is solid Yes you're restricted to fair weather days but so are most other people few have death wishes.

Fishslayer, I suggest you check out the IFish Salty Dogs forum. They do a lot of fishing for tuna out of Oregon and Washington and Northriver aluminum boats very similar to yours are extremely popular amongst those folks. A dropped-bow, like on your Harbercraft, is not an open-bow, like found on ski-boats. Still, it can hold water. There are some very simple solutions - extra and larger drains, covers and filling the space with coolers, etc. In any case like any other boating it is about knowing what seas/weather you, your boat and your crew can handle, which includes your range in different conditions with a large load. Give yourself a safety margin, buddy boat, have all the necessary safety equipment, etc, etc, etc. There are lots of old threads on this website as well on the topic of safety while chasing tuna offshore.

Beautiful boat. Cheers!

Ukee

Thanks Ukee!!! I will definitely be doing more research and I should have my boat out at least another 2-3 times offshore before I commit to the tuna and will be testing its limitations out of Winter Harbour and Sooke. I due about a half dozen 4 day trips to the big interior mountain BC lakes every year and these lakes especially Kinbasket can get real bad fast but it is very hard to compare ocean to lake and what your boat can do safely. I live in Calgary and actually the worst water I have been in is Lake Minnewanka close to me lol.. That lake in 5 minutes goes from glass to middle of the pacific:) But still have not had any issues with the Kingfisher but again I'm back to comparing apples to oranges.. Appreciate all your insight!!!

I have a kingfisher 3025, which I think is a foot wider, and doesn't have the open bow.
Twin Yama 200s and 25hp kicker.
Was loaded with ice out & tuna back. We went 37 miles out, trolled all morning on the kicker, then back to dock on a pretty flat day and burned 215 litres. About 1.5 hours to get back in.
Next trip was about the same, however way back the wind came up. Wind was coming straight at us coming back from 40+ miles out, and took 3+hours to get back in. I've found wind/wave predictions to be pretty accurate, so should be able to choose good windows. But kingfishers are light and get tossed around a lot. Great for fuel consumption but not great for pounding through coming home.

I used to have a 2825 with single 350, beam is the same. moving the center single 350 to the 200s = more stability, less 'tippy'. I hadn't thought about that, was just looking for twins thinking about Tuna, but definitely a bonus.

Back