Bamfield Reports for this weekend!

F

Fish_4_Life

Anybody been fishing in Bamfield? Haven't been out for a month so fishing might be hit and miss. Any advice?
Where?
How deep?
What lures/bait?

I heard it has been very good in the area using chovies and spoons. Have not heard any recent info, I would think some bigger fish should start showing soon.
BG

Hi, I was out on the 25th and 26th. Stayed at Poett Nook and fished Kirby and the outside. Went to 7 mile reef but it got too lumpy so I decided to come back. Quite a few coho which were 50/50 wild vs hatchery averaging 4 to 9 lbs. Caught one 20 lb spring and lost a HUGE one that nearly spooled me (had him on for about 4 minutes). Rumour of a 47 lber caught at Kirby but I was not able to verify this. The buys that were able to head out to Big Bank did well on halis and a few were caught 1/2 to 1 mile from Cape Beale (all chickens to 40lbs). The biggest spring I saw at the cleaning table was 29 with a few between 17 and 25 lbs. Fishing was prettey slow during the day with the bite being from 5:30 to 9:00 am. Saw lots of people fishing the Wall in the evenig but didn't see any hook ups. Hope this helps, Striper Sniper

Striper you might be talking about my fish.

I caught a 46.5 pound Spring off Swale Rock on Saturday. I also caught a 29 pounder and another over 30 pounds. All of Swale Rock and all on Pink Hootchies.

Here is a picture of the 46.5 pounder.
944084771_ddbfc6b78c.jpg

Here is the 30 plus pounder I caught the day before, again off Swale Rock.
944084811_7544ec4a3b.jpg

Riptide !!! Awesome fish !!!:D Looks like you are at Mills Landing , great place to stay. Were others catching as many as you were? Any more details on the fishing??
-flasher
-depth?
Thanks,
B.G.

Fished the wall on saturday, got one 28lb spring and a couple Small coho. Got the spring on Cutplugs and the Coho on Green and white hootchy.

quote:Originally posted by Riptide2

Striper you might be talking about my fish.

I caught a 46.5 pound Spring off Swale Rock on Saturday. I also caught a 29 pounder and another over 30 pounds. All of Swale Rock and all on Pink Hootchies.

nice fish, sure doesn't look a 46.5 lber though
maybe you are 6'8" ??
(i'm just jealous) ;)

Hi BentGaff,

We tried fishing Effingham and there were too many Pinks and Coho so we moved into Swale Rock. We were not getting any bites until we put on the pink hootchies then we seemed to be one of the few boats catching fish.We tried multiple depths but caught all our fish at 60 to 68 feet. Leaders were 4 feet. BTW when we went back to Port Renfrew on Saturday, there was a guy with an over 40 pound fish that looked like the twin brother to the fish we caught. Both were white springs.

Yes we were at Mills Landing and it is a great place to stay :)

I Just got home from Bamfeild fishing was slow but there were a few to be caught. Lots of small ones tho. Think I was just a week or so to early. Sure there was tones of legal fish but legal there is 45cm I would hope people would release them and catch those ones next year. Did leave with my share after 3 days 2 springs over 20lbs, and 5 coho's. Lots of large fish being caught at 27 mile. JUST GIVE A COUPLE MORE DAYS OR A WEEK.

Cheers,

I'm going to be staying at bamfield august 6, 7, 8.
so i hope you're right fishassassin

and great fish riptide

Just back from 10 day's. The reports are all over the map on this thread. Kirby is definately the popular spot over the last week. It's been pretty tempermental with the bites coming on at all different times of the day. Pick a 35lb. fish yesterday and a 32lb. today. It was definately slim for most boats. Lots of immature fish to be had. What a shame watching all of those young ones getting the bonk. Those are our fish for the next couple of seasons..
Look for it to start going off with the migratory's over the next week or so. There are definately a few moving in. As for the 46, we saw it personally and I would probably give it an honest 36lbs, nice either way you look at it.cheers-dirty

These reports look promising.Im leaving for bamfield right after work.
ill let you guys know how it goes

L

DirtyDog,

So where exactly did you see my fish?
I don't like being called a BSer so here are two photos for comparison.

One of the fish I caught last year officially weighed in at Port Renfrew Marina at 43 and a similar picture of the fish I caught this year the weighed 46.5 pounds when weighed fresh on board. As you can seem the are very very close to the same size.

954545654_708fd207cb.jpg
954545738_dfeffa3af3.jpg

Lit, lets just say I have about 20 lbs on Bertuzzi, but I get much meaner and grumpier :D

quote:Originally posted by Riptide2

Lit, lets just say I have about 20 lbs on Bertuzzi, but I get much meaner and grumpier :D
I did'nt think they came any meaner or grumpier.

Im a big guy too ... 6'4 300. When I hold up a tyee it barely looks 20 pounds. I cant do the fish any justice. Those 2 fish look in the 40s to me.

Fished Diplock, Swale, and Effingham last Sunday. So many shaker srings. Probably 15 to 20 of them. It was rather annoying. Released all shaker springs, and did manage to hook into a large chinook out at Meares Bluff. Ended up loosing him closer to the boat. Other than the shaker springs fishing was quiet.

Doubletake that is why you need to have a petite wife like me to compensate. Last year she had her picture taken with a 61 pounder caught in Port Hardy, the fish was almost as tall as her.

Back