Bamfield reports - Fall and winter 2011/2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a whole lotta fishin last week , went out twice , once on my own , only ta get swamped by killer whales , they were definitely hunting , seen em alot this early year , odd . Was a mother and calf , scared the hell outta me , had my chair tuned facin the back , turned around ta have a boo ahead of me , WHAM , in my face...luckily i pulled the riggers , she went right under the boat , water is so clear , could see her lookin at me , very cool..

2nd outting with Jeff n Jerry from Mills , noon tide change, fished the surf line around Ship , steady action , bonked our first winter of the year , all on small chovies, runnin in the mud , Prawning was great , Weather was unbelievable , T-Shirts , Kens report sounds promising , hope there still around for the Loggers in a few weeks..

sum shots

Feb2012Sunset2.jpg

CoolSunset.jpg

Jerry and Ship

HellloJerrray.jpg

OBH Terrorrrr

OBHTerror.jpg

Nice Felix, reports like that can make a grown man cry. Funny about the Orca's. Only saw them 3 times last year, and usually with that really large bull, and never that close. Sure would have been cool seeing her under the boat.

Yes , thats the pair Ken , Calf's pretty cute eh , rolled on its side and stared at me as it passed my boat , she slowed right down ta have a look at my noggin , pretty cool..
There is also a Large pod in the area , i have seen them 3 or 4 times , they are always cruising fast , lead by a LARGE male , they tend ta steer away from me though , once by Robbers Passage , twice near Sarita Mouth , I think the Mother and calf are with them as a group , believe Mom just takes out the little guy ta show her the ropes on huntin once and a while... Always enjoy Seeing these guys... Not often in our area..

would these be considered transients ? Residents ???

Felix.........

Had an Orca take half a salmon off my line a few years ago in the Charlottes. it came back and chomped all but the head on the surface right at the back of the boat. very cool.

we were still fishing out of depot bay oregon. the year was when JAWS had just hit the theaters. had closed down the local tavern at about 0200, feeling no pain when to bed and got back up at 0430, fishing was a priority. pulled on the requisite long jons and rain gear and headed down to the marina. got out on a perflectly flat ocean, 20F line was always a producer. we had this sort of 'sport' boat with lay down seats so we opened them up peeled the rain gear off, engaged the auto pilot and layed down. both of us sat bolt upright as we were covered in the fowlest smelling spray we had ever inhaled. JAWS turned out to be a HUGE, assuming female here, ORCA that had cruised it to eyeball us, maybe 15' from the port gunnal. the last night remnantes were instantly gone as she cruised along at trolling speed for probably 5 minutes eyeballing the two guys. astonishing to see them this way.

Where to begin...Oh I know it was WINDY! Fished Fri & Sat.

Friday, Windy, and Big rain drops travelling at high speeds sideways. Got up to Brady's once, then back to the harbour, one fish undersize release 120ft white hootchie, that turns blueish in water. two other bites on the retreat tack, TKO Glow cop. 3 hours out

Saturday, Windy, no rain. Couldnt' get out of the harbour small circles between coast guard station, and inlet to Grappler. First pass with the current/wind, big hit on the Glow Cop TKO, screamed out line and.......gone. Waited till we could see open sign on General store to buy some beer24 Luckys, and home. Think we may have run into Osama as we exited the general store..maybe next time we can hit up the spots you reccomended thanks!

Oh well, don't get out much hence the determined efforts that were squashed by mother nature. Sunday was beautiful, as we took the boat out.

Next Time!

Also I had 3-4 hits on the TKO, non-stuck...I know its not much of a field test but made me second guess the hook it came with. I thought is was sharp...?

Maybe just my luck!?

Wind gusts to 58 knots and 8.4 metre seas at La Perouse today. Too much snow on the Coquihalla. Stuck in the Okanagan which is probably a good thing.

Coming to the Bam area next week for 4-5 days...has the weather been kind enough to see any days off-shore in recent memory or is the wind still blowin'? Any reports on the winters in the inside waters?

Any info to help a brotha out would be greatly appreciated, as always!

thanks,

FB

...has the weather been kind enough to see any days off-shore in recent memory or is the wind still blowin'? Any reports on the winters in the inside waters? FB

A buddy was out to Poett Nook this weekend; said the weather was fantastic - shirtsleeves. They loaded up with prawns but didn't run out for fish.

I haven't been out but a friend has. Salmon fishing has been decent close to Ukee. Should be some near Beale or Edward King.

Thats awesome FD...gotta love the kollers having a cruise through the harbour

Getbent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back