Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

We talked to two old codgers at the Beam last week who had no clue what they could keep per day and possession.
We informed them toot sweet as the one guy said...hell I will take coho all day long...they were cool once they understood.
They are lucky the one morning they had about 6 coho on the table and in the afternoon they were checked by fisheries....

We were up in Bamfield last week, and for a change we left our boats at home, and got Rick from Tyee lodge to take us out. We didn't go offshore. Lots of smaller fish around, coho. Got into some teen and 20's fish...So they are coming down. Very addicting area just beautiful...

Also enjoyed seeing some of the BC Tough guys like Kelly dancing on there boat past us...LOL....

Planning on fishing this area way more......in next few months... You guys have it very lucky nice area to fish in. So many more options to fish even if its blowing.

yes, Bamfield has the advantage of good fishing in the front just to the entrance to the harbour when the weather s blowing. I used to fish there long time ago. missed it very much.

Heading up tomorrow to Bamfield for 5 days. Any current reports on fishing locations and what is catching them? Any info. would be greatly appreciated. I will have 3 virgins with me (never caught a Salmon)!

Heading for Julia pass in the morning for 5 nights. will be fishing all around the sound and hoping to get outside for a day or two if the weather is good. Maybe see a few of you out there.

Ray

Hi Everyone be out in bamfield on july 28 fo 5 6 days. hoping for some good weather on the outside? any reports from Kirby point? also hows the water on the banks so far? whats the price of fuel out there around $1.55? look for the free spirits if any of you out.

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone in bamfield right now wants to buddy up and head offshore in the next few days.
I'm here in 26 striper but no real offshore experience.
Let me know
James
Hold on this is a report thread so here goes,
We have been inshore last two days and it's been pretty slow. Only a few small springs to show for it.
Hence why we wanna try offshore
Cheers
James

Pretty slow in Barkley Sound for us this weekend.. a bunch of 8lb rats..... rumours of some fish ukee way....:)

Pretty slow in Barkley Sound for us this weekend.. a bunch of 8lb rats..... rumours of some fish ukee way....:)

Yup for us too. We hit 10 springs thursday eve in 2 hours. Not one was over 8lb.

tried Ukee friday along the beach. Never fished it before and it showed. good for one Coho in 5 hours. Heard later we should have gone further up to florrencia.. Lots of boats fishing right in the harbor entrance. only seen a couple nets. Sat was a relax day and short fish. Sunday I got skunked for Halli for the first time in 5 years. Poked our head out to south bank and turtle on Monday. Mine was 1 of only 2 boats out there and I soon found out why. could not find a fish and a pretty heavy bloom was what we found. Finished our day off at meeres/cree for a couple including our biggest.A whopping 14lbs.

All in all it was a great trip all the same. ended up with 9 fish in the box. Mix of springs and coho. released a crap load of smalls. We only kept the bigger of the small springs. Found most of our fish close to home in the evening. Got a few prawns and a couple crabs.

Love that Place !!!!!

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
It should be going now should it not??? Funny I thought that the chinooks were going to be crazy in spring and early summer with the Columbia forecast

it should be...but it seems the fish are going around us this year...numbers are there just the fish in our neighbour hood ... :)

Sooke has been great early season while ive been watching these reports I was getting the impression they are going down the outside around you guys.

Ive not done alot of fishing up that way but could this be true?

Sooke has been great early season while ive been watching these reports I was getting the impression they are going down the outside around you guys.

Ive not done alot of fishing up that way but could this be true?

Has barkley sound really been all that great in the last 4-5 years? Sure you can run offshore and find fish, but I don't see any reports of the inside on fire like you used to. Hell 5 years ago you could fish the harbour mouth and catch fish all day, is that true today?

Has barkley sound really been all that great in the last 4-5 years? Sure you can run offshore and find fish, but I don't see any reports of the inside on fire like you used to. Hell 5 years ago you could fish the harbour mouth and catch fish all day, is that true today?

Agree with this to a point. We are heading out tomorrow and hope to post a report that contradicts this. But if the inside doesn't produce I'm going to start looking for other inshore areas to bring my 18 foot boat.

Back