Bamfield inside

B

blc

Just wondering if anyone has heard if atleast some fish have moved inside, many thanks

Just talked to a guy that was in Bamfield for the last week (very good fisherman). Said the fishing inside is slowwwww. Said that with some persistence you can scratch out a few at Beale and Whittlesone etc. He said what bite there was inside only lasted until 7:30 at best.

They had their best luck heading out 23 miles offshore towards and towards the Swiftsure side. He said lots of springs out there but most are in the teens, low 20's. He also tried 7 mile and 12 mile and said not much there.

What he heard while up there from a fisheries person is that fisheries in both Canada and the US have been tracking a large area of warm water that's hanging off the coast of Barkley and the Tofino area. It apparently moved in sometime in June and is still there and extends quite a ways offshore. The warm water is keeping the fish way out for now.

For what's it's worth, that's what I just heard today.

I have finally heard that things are getting better and that the fish are moving in. I heard reports of good fishing in and around Bamfield with Springs in the mid 20's. Has anyone else heard simular reports?

I hope you're right. Heading up Sunday. The fact that there hasn't been any chatter at all on the forum about Barkley kind of tells me that things are still very slow. Hopefully someone can post a fresh report on the Bamfield area.

I hope you're right too! Heading out to Ucluelet on Monday for a week and I'm really hoping that I don't have to run way outside to get into the fish. The boat is more than capable of going offshore (34' flybridge), but I've got some newbie flatlanders coming along and I can just picture them puking their guts out in 6-8 foot rollers. I've been watching the forecasts and it certainly hasn't been millpond seas.

I have heard similar reports that the springs have finally moved in. I am going out tomorrow, will try and report by the weekend.

I have also heard that it is FINALLY starting to pick up there. I have a buddy who picked up a 32 pounder off Bamfield yesterday morning and also had a report from another guy camped at Poetts Nook that he landed a couple in the low 20's today.

41 Pounder to the Dream Weaver today, by a 12 year old girl!!
Well inside :D

aYup, it's starting!! Let the GOOD times roll!!:D

Cheers,
Nog

Are the fish inside in numbers? Was that at Pill? Diplock? The wall?

Just talked to a friend of mine that knows two different groups that are fishing Barkley right now. One group is fishing out of Ucleulet and has said that fishing is "smoking hot" in the Long Beach area. The other group is fishing closer to Bamfield and says that fishing is improving but not "hot" yet. They have had to work some for their fish but doing all right up to 32 lbs. Not sure how accurate this is as it came from a friend of a friend but does sound like things are improving.

If you are heading to Bamfield now your timing is good. Wed. was good
Water temp came down and Edward was producing double headers at 30 to 40'. Tight chovie roll was the ticket w/ purple or green teasers.

Here is a bit of an update.

Fished yesterday at the Bamfield Wall and hooked, then lost one spring. We saw a few caught, not lot's.

Headed out to the 5 mile for halibut, caught none, pushed on to the 7 mile and caught none.

We decided to fish for salmon only and caught a 28 lb spring and two coho.

Stayed at the Pt Alberni yacht club and found out that numerous springs had been caught just outside Robbers Passage that afternoon.

Up early the morning and fished that area until noon. Saw about 8 fish caught and caught none ourselves.

Is the fishing hot yet?????

It's not hot the way I'm used to it being when hot.

That's my bit.

Hi guys, got back from bamfield on thursday after fishing for 2 days. Two buddies and myself fished inside the whole time as we have a smaller boat. Considering the reports i think we did well. We landed 10 springs from 16 to 33lbs and also one 10 lb coho. We also lost 3 good fish to seals. We fished at cape beal most of the time. The best depth seemed to be around 35feet on bait. The best bite seemed to be the morning with another bite coming on about noon. The fish definatley seem to be moving in now. Hope this helps and thanks to this forum for all the informative information.

Hey there everyone.. I just got back from Bamfield myself. Fished for Hali's at 5 mile got 2, fished for hali's at 7 mile got 3. We trolled back from cape beal and landed a 38 and a 22. Then the next day we went to 7 mile again picked up 2 hali's again right away. I heard that a 12 yr old kid picked up a 105 pound!! halibut from 5 mile bank 2 days ago as well. The wind came up from the northwest and messed with our hali fishing. So we went back inside and picked up a couple more springs in the high 20's near kirby. I heard of a few guys hitting some fish at edward king, 1 group got 4 springs the largest was 36 all on a cop-car spoon. Yes, the fishing is starting to pick up. I even saw someone fighting a fish at the mouth of Bamfield harbour. The fishing should only get better from here untill the run ends. Tight lines, good fishin.

I was up yesterday. Tried to go offshore, got to 10 mile and stopped. The weather was turning a little ugly and there was a wicked tide running that made it difficult to fish. Topped that off with my fishing partner being sick as hell and was pretty much useless. So we went in to Beale. About 30 boats there and not much happening. We trolled around for about a half hour before hooking a nice one only to feed it to the seal. Landed a 26 shortly after that then released one about 20 the next pass after that. Only saw two fish hooked by other boats in about 4 hours. Fished brady's for the afternoon. Lost one about 12 pounds at the boat then lost another about 20 minutes after that. Nothing else for a couple hours after that so we packed it in.

Back