Discarding old flares

wagonmaster

A friend came across some old flares at a warehouse he volunteers at and attempted to find a way to dispose of them. He has contacted Trotac, and the Central Saanich Police Station who told him that none of the police departments, fire departments, Ellis recycling or Hartland Rd. take them. Wondering if anyone can offer some help in this regard. Thanks.1704474769367.jpeg

Good luck. There is one place that will take them for a cost per flare. Someone here may know the name, I believe it is in Victoria.

Call you local Power Squadron and see if they have a planned recycling event in your area. Last time, I took mine to the local marine shop that I bought them from and they happily took them for disposal!

can see if you can find somewhere on here

They don't seem to give you much choice other than a practice session and fire them off. I have a bunch. May take them out to our waterfront cabin at Gordon's Beach on a rainy day and just fire them off low into the water.

Pacific Coast Liferaft​

Address2-956 Devonshire Road, Victoria, British Columbia Canada
View map
Phone Number(s)250.360.1573
Email Addressinfo@liferaft.ca
Fax Number250.386.7238
HoursMonday to Friday, 8am-4pm
Websitehttp://www.liferaft.ca/
Facility Type
  • Private
Services
  • Some charges may apply
  • Drop off depot
Related ProductsFlares (Marine)
Note
Last UpdatedSep 11, 2019, 03:02 PM

I think Cabela's does an annual flare drop off day in conjunction with the fire department in Nanaimo but can't remember when it is. I was told when it was last time but can't remember, I have flares from an old ferry life raft I meant to take in at that time but missed it.

This is the place I was trying to think of.
So, my friend went on the Pacific Coast Liferaft website and apparently they do take old flares...$3.00 each. Not too bad, I guess, unless you had a couple of dozen. Thanks to all for the replies and to ziggy for the original suggestion.

I think Cabela's does an annual flare drop off day in conjunction with the fire department in Nanaimo but can't remember when it is. I was told when it was last time but can't remember, I have flares from an old ferry life raft I meant to take in at that time but missed it.
I thought that was with the Power Squadron. They would not take my non marine flares. It was a few years back.

We all have this problem. It’s bull ****. They make us pay big $ to replace them every 3 years but don’t have a recycling program. I’ve got 50 old ones. I seem to always miss the 8 hours a year Steveston Marine says they take them. No one wants to be responsible. We all know what happens when no one is responsible. Anarchy.

We all have this problem. It’s bull ****. They make us pay big $ to replace them every 3 years but don’t have a recycling program. I’ve got 50 old ones. I seem to always miss the 8 hours a year Steveston Marine says they take them. No one wants to be responsible. We all know what happens when no one is responsible. Anarchy.
If you happen to be in the eastern outskirts of the Mainland, bring them to Poco Marine. They’ll also give you a good deal on a set of new ones - which will HOPEFULLY go back to the bin in 3 years. Maybe you can give them a call and find out who recycles the damn thing for them….

If you figure it out let me know. I've got a couple sitting in a metal garbage can while I figure out what to do with them. Same problem with expired bear spray - if anyone knows where THOSE go, I also wanna know.

Back