Discarding old flares

Fire solves a variety of problems, just make sure you can run fast enough and in the right direction.

Fire solves a variety of problems, just make sure you can run fast enough and in the right direction.

So put 'em in the wood stove. Check. Thanks for the tip! ;)

We all have this problem. It’s bull ****. They make us pay big $ to replace them every 3 years but don’t have a recycling program. I’ve got 50 old ones. I seem to always miss the 8 hours a year Steveston Marine says they take them. No one wants to be responsible. We all know what happens when no one is responsible. Anarchy.
Flares are good for four years. Tough finding ones at retailers that have a full lifespan though.

If you figure it out let me know. I've got a couple sitting in a metal garbage can while I figure out what to do with them. Same problem with expired bear spray - if anyone knows where THOSE go, I also wanna know.
I teach a wildlife awareness training course and use expired bear spray for actual use. The interesting thing is that NOBODY knows what to do with the old cans. The manufacturer, Regional District, MOE and ECCC have no idea on what to do with them and nobody will take them. So I have a couple garbage cans full of used ones.

The old flares are the same story as it is again nobody wants to deal with them; but they want to regulate them.

Cheers

SS

I teach a wildlife awareness training course and use expired bear spray for actual use. The interesting thing is that NOBODY knows what to do with the old cans. The manufacturer, Regional District, MOE and ECCC have no idea on what to do with them and nobody will take them. So I have a couple garbage cans full of used ones.

The old flares are the same story as it is again nobody wants to deal with them; but they want to regulate them.

Cheers

SS
So do you want my old (unused) bear spray? lol

If your friend is having trouble disposing of the old flares, they can try the following options:

1. Marine supply stores: Contact stores that specialize in marine equipment and supplies. Since flares are often used for marine safety, these stores may have specific procedures for disposal or be able to guide your friend in the right direction.

2. Coast Guard or similar authorities: Reach out to the local Coast Guard or any other relevant authorities responsible for maritime safety. They may be able to provide advice or assistance in disposing of the flares safely.

3. Hazardous waste disposal sites: Contact local hazardous waste disposal facilities to inquire if they accept flares. These facilities are equipped to handle a wide range of hazardous materials and may offer guidance on how to dispose of flares properly.

4. Community recycling events: Keep an eye out for community events that specifically focus on hazardous waste disposal or recycling. Such events are periodically organized in many areas, providing a safe way to dispose of items like flares.

5. online platforms: Consider checking online platforms like Freecycle or Craigslist to see if there are any individuals or organizations that want or can properly dispose of expired flares.

Remember, it is crucial to follow proper safety guidelines when handling flares as they are classified as hazardous materials and should never be disposed of in regular trash or by simply throwing them away.

The pictured flares are not marine flares. They are what are commonly called railroad flares or Highway flares. They used to be fairly common for use at accident scenes, Roadblocks etc.. They do not have any projectile. They are GREAT as firestarters when camping.

CR Greg

Don't know if they still do it, but Trotac in Victoria use to take them about once a year, usually when they were having a big sales/promotion event.

Years back you use to see a lot of old flares set off on Halloween to mix them into the fireworks going off. When you see a really high red parachute flare floating you know its not fireworks. Now I think the laws have changed and you need a permit to set off fireworks a lot of places.

Some fire stations use to take them and set them off as training events.

If you figure it out let me know. I've got a couple sitting in a metal garbage can while I figure out what to do with them. Same problem with expired bear spray - if anyone knows where THOSE go, I also wanna know.
I’ve dropped off a few cans over the years at the North Van RCMP detachment on Lonsdale, might be worth a call. Just leave them in your car when you go in the reception.

Ya, Halloween and New Years is a good time to fire them off, this year was too dry to chance firing them as we were not near the water. But this New Year we got to fire a bunch over the chuck, some of these flares were 20 years old and all of them fired off and worked as they should.

I’ve dropped off a few cans over the years at the North Van RCMP detachment on Lonsdale, might be worth a call. Just leave them in your car when you go in the reception.
Ya be very careful going into the police station though and what you say, a guy I know was put in a cell because they were trying to turn in explosive squibs for a fire extinguisher bottle from an aircraft.

Back