Autopilot suggestions

Bearded wonder

This may have been discussed before and I can’t find it but here it goes..

I am thinking about getting autopilot for my boat. Basically I want for my boat to track a straight line so my family doesn’t have to steer when I am busy (for some reason they can’t steer straight). I am not looking for anything fancy and I only have a Lowrance hook5.

What I think would work
- Panther T4 (seems very easy and simple)
- IntelliSteer Type R

Any reviews, opinions, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about getting autopilot for my boat. Basically I want for my boat to track a straight line so my family doesn’t have to steer when I am busy (for some reason they can’t steer straight). I am not looking for anything fancy and I only have a Lowrance hook5.

What I think would work
- IntelliSteer Type R

Hey
I put a Raymarine auto pilot from West Marine in a 24 NORTHWEST years ago and it worked good. It came as a package and was their base model. Quite a few problems with various parts breaking down. A 2 year manufacturers warranty helped but when I picked up the replacement parts West Marine allowed me to buy the 4 year extended warranty which was well worth it and used a few times. The rudder sensor was hooked up on the swim grid because I had outboards and it went every 2 years. The computer went once and was easy to replace. Overall it was a godsend trolling in the fog or wind and had no trouble keeping a course, navigating a route etc. I would stay away from any that use gps positioning to get your heading or are just designed to be used on the kicker.

I am still trying to get my Garmin Kicker Auto-pilot working and Garmin is not been any help the throttle activator unit is non responsive.

you state in your original post you are considering a Panther T4. Thats not an autopilot...its remote steering so someone has to be on the remote and making regulat adjustments. The best budget AP in my opinion is the lowrance outboard AP. works great for engines less than 150hp. you need hydraulic steering and you will need to upgrade to at a min a HDS gen2 touch or newer fishfinder.... They are sold online from US retailers for approx $1000USD.

great integration with an HDS fishfinder. a number of videos of it on youtube. easy install..

only downside is if you fish in very rough and choppy conditions it may not be able to male adjustments fast enough. I rarely fish in anything more than 15knot winds and sonit has always worked very well... once you get an AP you will NEVER go back to being without one.

Yeah after some more research, I agree about the panther type products. Not sure if. Can justify the $3000 cost for the Lorwance and sounder upgrade.

Any thoughts on the Garmin TR-1? My buddy has one and it was great. Realize they are discontinued but I can get new ones on eBay. Will still need the cylinder mount and throttle assembly.

What I think would work
- IntelliSteer Type R

As already stated, the Panther is NOT an AP. However, I do have one and have loved it for the last 5 ish years. I simply mount the remote near my preferred sitting spot, and touch the speed or steering as required. It has been very handy for controlling the boat trolling into headwinds, and I can even fine tune the boat when playing fish. Inexpensive too!

I run an older style Garmin TR-1 on a 22ft aluminum boat. I have set the boat up to fish solo when necessary and the TR-1 in indispensable. I do have to tilt my main motor to get full steerability when trolling with the kicker and TR-1. Otherwise, when turning one direction the kicker propwash just blast against the main motor. With the TR-1, I can easily run 2 rods by myself, work my gear, take a whiz and pour a cup of coffee without the boat going into a crazy Ivan turn. Having to use barbless hooks, I can keep power on the kicker play and net the fish. Even chase down a fish in reverse. Like I said, indispensable. Took me about a half day to install. However, I did have to contact Garmin customer support during on the water calibration. You must be realistic though about its capability in rough seas and cross currents. Make sure the tension adjustment for steering on the kicker is completely off and don't let the hydraulic cylinder slam side to side. Keep the hydraulic reservoir topped off and you will be good to go.
Don't know anyone using the new one, but I hear they are much better, electronic and no hydraulics.

Back