Combo suggestions please.

aussieantics

G’day all.
Looking for some cheap to moderately priced spinning real combos (2 complete setups to cover most bases) for fishing area 28. I will mainly be fishing from boat with the odd bit of beach casting. Can’t target ling in our area unfortunately. Will also get a different setup down the road once I get down riggers sorted for trolling salmon etc, open to suggestions there as well.

I’ve got a few baitcasters I used for bass in Ontario that have just got torn up even with proper TLC. Will also give the fly rod a crack just for ships and giggles.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Penn battle or Penn fierce have been good salt water reels. Get them in size 5000 or 6000 and load with generic braided line from amazon.ca (65lb braid or so)
For rod get a decently beefy rod as you can use bigger lures. That is what I use on my boat and it will handle rock fish to ling.

I agree on the reel choice. I'd just add that it sort of depends on the type of fishing for the rods. Beach casting will want a longer rod, but to be successful on the boat without trolling, you will need to get deep and 8-9' rods with a heavy lure really won't be fun jigging big lures deep and on the boat a heavy spinning rod of 6' - 6'6" will be way better (but won't be very good for beach casting).

I do a fair bit of beach fishing and spin casting for pinks and coho, with the odd chinook in there and I haven't gone above a 4000 reel and an 8' rod. I prefer the lighter gear as I'm often casting a zillion times a day. I use the same setup in the winter to jig for winter chinook. Works great and I can jig for hours without getting too tired. I use conventional reels and different rods when jigging for ling and bigger chinook.

Back