August Tuna Run?

anyone have a free site showing surface temperatures??

and juandesooka your inbox is full! Looking at the calendar, aug 29th or 30th will be the only two dates i can make the run, and only if everything lines up in favour to go, so is anyone available or thinkning of going out those dates in another boat? need 2 to be safe

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested if theres room on anyones boat. I commercial fished for tuna when I was 20 and we were about 120 miles off of Oregon.....and it was a blast then but would love to try it recreationally if possible!!!. Great experience!...PM me if deckhand needed that meets the criteria!
cheers

juandesooka your inbox is full again!

Aug 29 trip is a go for me pending weather and ocean temperatures. Any buddy boats out there to make the run too?!

We have been planning since last season. One of our crew even attended a tuna workshop in Oregon over winter... hahaha!!!

We are planning to host some sort of a 'Tuna Shootout' out of Mills Landing from approx Sept 15 -30 based on last years dates, although water temps will ultimately dictate that schedule...

What this means exactly we are still developing, but we would like to have as many boats together for the outings as possible and figured we could act as a staging area for those fishing out of Bamtown - good way to get some competition going as well.

I'm off work tomorrow so will have time to develop a longer post.

CAN'T WAIT!!!

If anyone has a spot to help on their boat to share the costs of a offshore tuna trip please let me know - I would love to go! :D

I have lots of fishing and boating experience and will work hard! I have always wanted to do a trip like this, but my boat is not quite big enough.

Rumor has it there is some caught off tofino in the last few days 60-80 miles out.... not sure how much truth ther is too it though.

It's true.

THE Reliable source gave me the intel. We are gearing up for the first shot out there on July 31, Aug 1, 2.

Saw the satellite imagery as well and just pray it doesn't change!!!!!

This is gonna be great!!!

It's true.

THE Reliable source gave me the intel. We are gearing up for the first shot out there on July 31, Aug 1, 2.

SICK!!! my source was not what i consider that reliable lol.

Lorne

Good luck and be safe sir,

It's true.

I talked to a buddy who works a tuna boat that set off this week. He said they were still going to go join the fleet 100 miles off oregon. Were sporties already making the run up here?

PS No long weekend debry for you?

oceans.jpgjust coughed up the coin and signed up for a sea temp and conditions website. So if your nice and need a temp shot, give me a hollar.

The Washington and Oregon guys sure like Terrafin. I think it's about hundred bucks for the year. I'll keep my ear open for sure for changes and suggestions by folks, but I'm thinking end of August or beginning of September for a shot closer in (like within 50 miles or less). That's the beauty of mother nature though..........you never know!

Going to start buying some tackle soon:D.

EPIRB--check
2 mustang drysuits-check
22' welded aluminum 200yamaha-check
tuna clones hali rods-check
salt ice-check
extra gas-check
this crew would really like to keep in touch and team up with you guys we run out to big bank fairly often so have a rough idea of where they are but would like to team up when this happens -thanks

Fished tuna commercially for many years until DFO kicked us out of the EZ zone. On the sportfishing end I observed a group of Puker style boats (princess boats) fishing out of Westport and they were not trolling with jigs. They had a setup that looked like it would work well for hali's. The rods looked like ugly sticks or similar, penn style reels, mooching weights in the 4 to 6 oz range with about a 6 foot leader to either herring or anchovy. I got as close as I could without running them over but I could not tell if they were fishing livees or frozen. When they got on a school all hell would break loose as tuna tend to get in a feeding frenzy when the bite comes on. Once when we were done early I decided to try to get one on a rod and reel. I used a stingzilda, 10 1/2 ft mooching rod, hardy longstone with straight 20 lb test. I got a small one about 12 lbs. It was very similar to playing a halibut. Tuna go fast and they go DOWN. Lots of pulling, but just down, down, down. It took about 20 minutes on the light gear. After satisfying my curiosity I did not try to get any more.
Out of Bamfield/ukee you definitely want to have a water chart, the various canyons often seem to hold fish, Nitnat, Barclay, Father Charles etc. Sometimes the water can be very close to shore from Esperanza inlet up to Winter harbour. The last time I was up that way we got fish as close as 10 miles from shore. I have friends who have fished them off the west side of the Charlottes and sometimes they are only 5 miles out.
While fishing we usually fish at speeds between 5.5 and 6 knots but the big American boats will search with the jigs out at speeds that look to be around 10-12 knots. When fishing tuna if you think you are going to slow then you probably are.
Look at your temp charts, you are looking for blue water usually 60 degrees and warmer but I have had good fishing ( once ) with surface temps as low as 58.5, look for birds, look for tuna fisherman, and WATCH YOUR SOUNDER. Tuna often show on the sounder between 10-25 fathoms. They tend to show like an inverted V shape except the front part of the V is not their and the back side of the inverted V has an extra long tail. I guess you could say the marks look more like a comma than an inverted V. If you find fish on the sounder don't leave the area, they will come on the bite at some time during the day. Sometimes you can circle on top of a school of fish and entice them to come up to your jigs on the surface. If you are on fish and you are trolling jigs and they won't bite don't be afraid to switch directions. Like sockeye, tuna can be very directional when trolling jigs. If you happen to be working around commercial tuna guys make sure to give them some room. They will not be looking for smallish recreational boats and they certainly will not move or change their course to get out of your way; at speeds around 6 knots you will be surprised at just how quickly a safe distance is no longer safe. Good luck and above all watch the weather, you will be a long way from a harbour.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, all good.

Terrafin is the bomb.

Did it 3 times last season can't wait to relive it on Aug 2,3,4.

Nog? You ran up the post, you going? There is a minimum of 3 boats from our harbour at this point.

Looks like I'll be buying tackle real soon!!!
Get some Rapala X Raps or Yozuri Hydro Mags

r388_csb.jpg

I'm in for a last minute ride if you can find me one Jeff.
I cant get the time to pull my rig out and over till the sept show.

I can bring a commy size tote of saltice,gear,tuner knowledge,$$$$$$ with short notice.

Yep, I'll have you on one of them for sure. Make sure you have the days available. A few of us had a meeting on the dock yesterday and she's on.

NOG??!!?? WTF??

Back