Attn: Guides: Do you get discounts on fuel?

Sushihunter

When I operated in Vancouver, it was pretty normal to get a small discount on fuel - usually 2 cents off per litre.

Here on the West side of Vancouver Island, the price of gas at the dock is considerably more than it is at the local land gas station only a mile away. Last year, it was about 12 cents per litre more than the other gas dock about 5 miles down the inlet.

Last year, I started fueling down the inlet, rather than at my home marina, where I dock. Because of this, I put $230 cash into MY pocket. Had I fueled exclusively at the cheaper place, it would have been about $450 saved.

My home marina, while charging what I consider extremely high prices on gas, refuses to give even a token 2 cent discount. I am curious if this sort of attitude is normal on Vancouver Island or not.

As this season looks to be a high gas price year, I'm wondering how the rest of the guide community is being treated.

Thanks,

I'm very happy to say that we get the same price as the commercial fishing fleet in our area. I guess that's one of the advantages to working out of a port with a commercial fleet. It saves us quite a bit of money each year.

I'm very happy to say that we get the same price as the commercial fishing fleet in our area. I guess that's one of the advantages to working out of a port with a commercial fleet. It saves us quite a bit of money each year.

Back