April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

This on Facebook this morning, you C&R guys better get ready. They’ll be coming for your fish next.
custom banner

Survival of Pacific salmon released or escaped from fisheries capture
May 27, 2021 07:00 PM
Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Microsoft (Outlook)
Dr. Scott Hinch, Professor & Director of the Pacific Salmon Ecology and Conservation Laboratory at the Department of Forest and Conservation Sciences, UBC will be presenting on the following topics:

• What are the issues associated with capture gear?
• Reviewing field and lab studies examining delayed mortality in released salmon
• Effects of rising temperatures on delayed mortality
• Ways we can reduce delayed mortality

Please note that the webinar will be recorded and made available on YouTube as well as shared with all registrants.

This on Facebook this morning, you C&R guys better get ready. They’ll be coming for your fish next.
custom banner

Survival of Pacific salmon released or escaped from fisheries capture
May 27, 2021 07:00 PM
Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Microsoft (Outlook)
Dr. Scott Hinch, Professor & Director of the Pacific Salmon Ecology and Conservation Laboratory at the Department of Forest and Conservation Sciences, UBC will be presenting on the following topics:

• What are the issues associated with capture gear?
• Reviewing field and lab studies examining delayed mortality in released salmon
• Effects of rising temperatures on delayed mortality
• Ways we can reduce delayed mortality

Please note that the webinar will be recorded and made available on YouTube as well as shared with all registrants.
Dr. Hinch is a fairly well respected figure in the salmon science world. I look forward to hearing his presentation on this.

I agree, in fact most of the guys I know that fished for Chinook
have simply quit.
Kinda sad to lose that comraderie on the water
whats sad is the mentality that people think they need a whole freezer full of fish, can’t remember when i ever took more then 5-10 salmon in a season.. if you are fishing purely for meat you are in it for all the wrong reasons.. these types of people are better off going to the store to buy salmon in the long run they will save money. I believe the number one reason to fish is just to get out there and enjoy the outdoors and escape the craziness of the world we left onshore ...

whats sad is the mentality that people think they need a whole freezer full of fish, can’t remember when i ever took more then 5-10 salmon in a season.. if you are fishing purely for meat you are in it for all the wrong reasons.. these types of people are better off going to the store to buy salmon in the long run they will save money. I believe the number one reason to fish is just to get out there and enjoy the outdoors and escape the craziness of the world we left onshore ...
Listen, I get what you are saying. I love every aspect of fishing. From greasing bearings to eating fish. We can't lose sight of the tradition here. Which is providing food. The original intent of fishing was to do that. Not to have a good time. Our opposition will look at us as privileged white dudes, that like to harass salmon for fun. If we stick to the tradition of providing food we have a much better chance. That is what our main opposition has done.

Listen, I get what you are saying. I love every aspect of fishing. From greasing bearings to eating fish. We can't lose sight of the tradition here. Which is providing food. The original intent of fishing was to do that. Not to have a good time. Our opposition will look at us as privileged white dudes, that like to harass salmon for fun. If we stick to the tradition of providing food we have a much better chance. That is what our main opposition has done.
Nailed it.

Pretty sad most of boots on ground enhancement projects are really hurting for money. Slap in the face to many of them. It's already started look at Raincoast and the estuary money they have received. Have you seen the grant sizes? Also a lot of this funding partnered with PSF which is really concerning.

At this point your better too take your money, and send it directly to the project you want to support. Sure PSF doubles donation money but where does that go? I don't think anyone on here supports NGO groups that actively close fisheries down, and ignore the data? Sorry but groups like Watershed made it there mission to shut this fishery down.

I think very large questions need to be asked moving forward where our conservation stamp money is going, and where any donations to PSF or others goes. It isn't a handout to create jobs for these groups, and we as anglers should not be supporting. Just my view.
I agree that many of the hatcheries struggle for money just to buy fish food let alone pay for the hydro costs.
I can say however that when I was involved with a lower mainland hatchery the PSF was awesome in its support...to the tune of over $250k to modernize pumps, incubation, and cap troughs...a whole new building essentially. Prior to that was $100k+ from them for an operations center.
Many of the older members were somewhat leery of taking this money for fear of not being able to fund the new operating costs....we convinced them with a "build it they will come" type of plan and come they did.
It is by no means a perfect system and the Gov needs to step up an assist these volunteer efforts.
We did mark all of our Coho as it was a put and take fishery but we did not mark any of the springs that went into the system.

Last edited:
When your heading out in a $50,000 boat towed by a $50,000 vehicle, claiming your fishing for food (sustenance), whether your native or not, has no little merit. We fish for recreation, to play with fish as some might claim. That does have value.

When your heading out in a $50,000 boat towed by a $50,000 vehicle, claiming your fishing for food (sustenance), whether your native or not, has no little merit. We fish for recreation, to play with fish as some might claim. That does have value.
I don't agree. How many licenses are purchased vs. the amount of rigged fishing boats that are out there? I bet it's 10 to 1. Sure one guy needs to own the boat but then he might guide hundreds of people in a season. I personally put dozens of my friends on fish each year. The professionals will tell you what non retention means to their businesses.

You know on the fraser river you can catch pink salmon from the shore with a 40 fishing rod, a 5 lure and a 30 dollar tidal licence. Yet even tho there was a decent return the department only gave a 7 day opening in 2019 because of concerns for sockeye even tho its like nill impossible to catch a sockeye casting lures in the lower fraser. There was also a very popular hatchery coho fishery there that we are also now shut out from too.

Were losing opportunity all over the place. We are losing opportunity to catch and retain salmon as well as just C&R opportunities. These entry level fisheries are what bring new people out. New people that learn what sports fishing is about and can be voices. New people that move onto things like ocean fisheries.

When we lay out data driven, scientifically backed opportunities for retention of hatchery fish that puts little pressure on stocks of concern and we still get shut out we shut.

Retention fisheries are very important, Just look at how many people come out when sockeye is open. If these people fish for fun where are they the rest of the time???? they fish for the protean because its important.

The above comments only confirm that right now, people need to get out there and fish even if we are only allowed catch and release. If everyone stopped sitting on their couches sulking and get out there and spend money enjoying what we are allowed to, this would at least give some support to the business' which rely on it. It would demonstrate that we have numbers, and love our pastime. Local guides need to sell the experience, not just hero shots of dead or dying salmon and a few dollars worth of flesh. It works elsewhere! Putting on a pout and refusing to play gets us no where.

I do totally agree that DFO is dragging their feet in regards to allowing hatchery retention. It's just plain dumb. But just not fishing? What's wrong with you guys?

Last edited:
Personally I have seen a huge change in the last few years. It used to be common to be upset at the end of the day if you didn't bring home limits or close to it. When I first started fishing I would always have too much salmon in the freezer and I'd be giving it away every winter. I honestly don't see this mentality much anymore. I ran my boat on a 800 mile trip last summer and came home with a lingcod and two springs. We released everything that was healthy. I understand wanting to keep the narrative a certain way to improve our chances of keeping salmon but the reality is alot of people are dialling it back a bit.

Being on the water is definitely PART of the equation but not all of it. Some people fish for food some fish for pleasure. As far as I’m concerned as long as your within the rules and following all the regs, it’s absolutely nobodies business what you do with your catch.

I agree that many of the hatcheries struggle for money just to buy fish food let alone pay for the hydro costs.
I can say however that when I was involved with a lower mainland hatchery the PSF was awesome in its support...to the tune of over $250k to modernize pumps, incubation, and cap troughs...a whole new building essentially. Prior to that was $100k+ from them for an operations center.
Many of the older members were somewhat leery of taking this money for fear of not being able to fund the new operating costs....we convinced them with a "build it they will come" type of plan and come they did.
It is by no means a perfect system and the Gov needs to step up an assist these volunteer efforts.
We did mark all of our Coho as it was a put and take fishery but we did not mark any of the springs that went into the system.

And no way I am saying PSF doesn't do some good work. What I am saying though is that I think as anglers we need more transparency. If we give money to PSF I don't think it is too much to ask that this funding doesn't go to these groups. A lot of donors spend thousands, and also our conservation tag does contribute. What are we contributing with our tag? I think that is basic question that needs to be answered.

Maybe I am speaking out of turn but I don't think my/other donations should be used to fund these groups. Not OK with that, and I think we should have more of say on that. This is something we can control.

Donations aren't to make jobs for other groups. They are to help salmon recovery. When we start seeing million dollar estuary grants etc it does raise red flags.

You can already see hands coming out right now with this new DFO funding coming soon.

And no way I am saying PSF doesn't do some good work. What I am saying though is that I think as anglers we need more transparency. If we give money to PSF I don't think it is too much to ask that this funding doesn't go to these groups. A lot of donors spend thousands, and also our conservation tag does contribute. What are we contributing with our tag? I think that is basic question that needs to be answered.

Maybe I am speaking out of turn but I don't think my/other donations should be used to fund these groups. Not OK with that, and I think we should have more of say on that. This is something we can control.

Donations aren't to make jobs for other groups. They are to help salmon recovery. When we start seeing million dollar estuary grants etc it does raise red flags.

You can already see hands coming out right now with this new DFO funding coming soon.
When you donate to PSF you can choose directly where you want your money to go

When you donate to PSF you can choose directly where you want your money to go

I used to think like that as well until I started reading further. It is legitimate question. How would you feel if on other hand PSF donates to a net pen in your area, but at same time helps fund the groups disallowing your MSF fishery. Anyways I am only asking the question.

The tag is another mess.

The above comments only confirm that right now, people need to get out there and fish even if we are only allowed catch and release. If everyone stopped sitting on their couches sulking and get out there and spent money enjoying what we are allowed to, this would at least give some support to the business' which rely on it. It would demonstrate that we have numbers, and love our pastime. If Local guides need to sell the experience, not just hero shots of dead or dying salmon and a few dollars worth of flesh. It works elsewhere! Putting on a pout and refusing to play gets us no where.

I do totally agree that DFO is dragging their feet in regards to allowing hatchery retention. It's just plain dumb. But just not fishing? What's wrong with you guys?
Yes, I was surprised I didn’t see a single other boat out today. Sure, the weather wasn’t the best but tis the season!

Re PSF....There is a committee that sits to review the proposals and vote on which ones to support, and how much money they shoyuld receieve. Nearly all of their money comes from Recreational Fishing licenses and Recreational angler donations and support at fund raising dinners...check out how many recreational angler representatives sit on that approval committee.

Yes, I was surprised I didn’t see a single other boat out today. Sure, the weather wasn’t the best but tis the season!
Your surprised REALLY (sorry being sarcastic) DFO has killed anyone wanting to go fishing .. I DONT CARE WHAT PEOPLE SAY AND THINK ON HERE....people want to go out on boat and KILL a fish for food we all know it we all want it ,, down deep you do. yes there MAY be the odd one that think hey its ok to "play" with a fish.
So put it into perspective why would anyone in there right mine spend in excess of over 50 grand for the "fun" of playing a fish and letting it go. last year in june and early july you could have look as far as you could see and see mmmm maybe 6 boats....
I can assure you im not going to spend $200 bucks plus to take my boat out catch a spring and do the DNA on it and let it go , unless of course you want to pay me that said $200 to go towards my daily running then ill go out every day!!!!!
IF DATA is that important and they want it so bad then cough up the money to fund it ... oh and to be ignored and not used anyways...

Back