April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

Re PSF....There is a committee that sits to review the proposals and vote on which ones to support, and how much money they shoyuld receieve. Nearly all of their money comes from Recreational Fishing licenses and Recreational angler donations and support at fund raising dinners...check out how many recreational angler representatives sit on that approval committee.

Thanks aware of some of board members. It is a legitimate concern moving forward that will be under more scrutiny. The more involved the group is with these groups the more it just raises questions. Thanks for info.

Thanks aware of some of board members. It is a legitimate concern moving forward that will be under more scrutiny. The more involved the group is with these groups the more it just raises questions. Thanks for info.
I don’t know how much $$$$ is getting split up between however many groups? But it seems to me that the more hands out, the smaller the piece of pie each gets and the less effective that would make them?

Agree with Wolf. Most people don't just get up at 5 in the morning or earlier because they just like to get out there. Sure it's nice to get out regardless of wether you caught a fish or two but who's bsing who thats just what you tell yourself when you didn;t catch anything. How many guides do you think get repeat clients when they dropped a bunch of money and no fish?

Agree with Wolf. Most people don't just get up at 5 in the morning or earlier because they just like to get out there. Sure it's nice to get out regardless of wether you caught a fish or two but who's bsing who thats just what you tell yourself when you didn;t catch anything. How many guides do you think get repeat clients when they dropped a bunch of money and no fish?
Lots of people get up earlier than 5 to be somewhere at dawn, before all the lazy's get up. Some of like the fishing part. If your a guide depending on a kill fishery, I regrettably suggest you get out now! Do you think the FN's are going to let regular folk have a piece of any lucrative usage of natural resources in the future. Look at the way things are going!

Not really seeing too many boats for sale.

A little off topic but maybe this is where we are heading. Below is a copy/paste of the recently released fishery for NL. Although it says ground fish (including cod) my guess is that 90% of the catch would be cod or at least on the west side of the island. Also they haven't been able to keep a salmon or a halibut for years and years. To the best of my knowledge there is no catch and release anytime of the year. It may not be great here and it will likely get worse but we have a ways to go before we have this.

DFO advises that in 2021, the recreational groundfish fishery will be open for a TOTAL of 39 DAYS.
Recreational fishers are limited to five (5) groundfish per day (including Cod). However, the maximum boat limit when three or more people are fishing is 15 groundfish.
For the 2021 season, there is NO requirement for licenses or tags.
The recreational fishery is open to both residents and non-residents.

1f324.png
SUMMER Season:
Saturday, July 3rd, 2021, to Monday, July 5th, 2021
Saturday, July 10th, 2021, to Monday, July 12th, 2021
Saturday, July 17th, 2021, to Monday, July 19th, 2021
Saturday, July 24th, 2021, to Monday, July 26th, 2021
Saturday, July 31st, 2021, to Monday, August 2nd, 2021
Saturday, August 7th, 2021, to Monday, August 9th, 2021
Saturday, August 14th, 2021, to Monday, August 16th, 2021
Saturday, August 21st, 2021, to Monday, August 23rd, 2021
Saturday, August 28th, 2021, to Monday, August 30th, 2021
Saturday, September 4th, 2021, to Monday, September 6th, 2021
1f342.png
FALL Season:
Saturday, September 25, 2021, to Sunday, October 3, 2021

If your a guide depending on a kill fishery, I regrettably suggest you get out now! Do you think the FN's are going to let regular folk have a piece of any lucrative usage of natural resources in the future. Look at the way things are going!
You really dont get it do you ??? so putting a net across the "river" is catch and release??? I hardly doubt it...and you wont find any hatchery in that mix!!! I would bet my left nut on that....so why do you think the net the river?? oh that right for FOOD.. and more the real problem so they can sell it to make a profit... let be real and quit kidding ourselves here...

You really dont get it do you ??? so putting a net across the "river" is catch and release??? I hardly doubt it...and you wont find any hatchery in that mix!!! I would bet my left nut on that....so why do you think the net the river?? oh that right for FOOD.. and more the real problem so they can sell it to make a profit... let be real and quit kidding ourselves here...
You don't get it do you ??? The FN's do whatever they want. No argument there. Heaven forbid whitey, especially Pierres' little shot spot, call them out on it. I think the natives will be after YOUR job if guiding is worth doing. Otherwise, under current conditions, which are likely the new norm, it's apparent you do not have a product you can sell and make a living with. What does any business have to do if in that position? Change your product. Be innovative and quite doing the same old thing expecting customers to come knocking. Your second choice is to get out while you can.

If any of you guys think salmon retention is going to open back up for us in the future, think again. FN succeeded in shutting down the following crab fishery because they stated that they weren't getting enough because the rest of were taking too many. Make sure to read to the bottom of the article.....they have set their sights on salmon next.

Also, they want to shut down C&R totally because it goes against their "so called" principles of only catching salmon for food, not sport.

So, guess which group will have the ear of DFO?? Us or them?

Our next battle will be to have the hatcheries defunded so us non retention taxpayers arent paying to put more fish in the nets to be sold on the side of the road.
Not the chum ones, need them for their roe fishery

C&R Fleet out play fishing off Fingers in Nanaimo today. The only reason I was out was to test my kicker out. There usually 25 or more boats out on such a calm day with a marked retention fishery I only saw one. Sad

Attachments

• 20210531_133910.jpg
    20210531_133910.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 94
Pretty sad most of boots on ground enhancement projects are really hurting for money. Slap in the face to many of them. It's already started look at Raincoast and the estuary money they have received. Have you seen the grant sizes? Also a lot of this funding partnered with PSF which is really concerning.

At this point your better too take your money, and send it directly to the project you want to support. Sure PSF doubles donation money but where does that go? I don't think anyone on here supports NGO groups that actively close fisheries down, and ignore the data? Sorry but groups like Watershed made it there mission to shut this fishery down.

I think very large questions need to be asked moving forward where our conservation stamp money is going, and where any donations to PSF or others goes. It isn't a handout to create jobs for these groups, and we as anglers should not be supporting. Just my view.
I have a good friend at PSF and asked him about some of these concerns.

A couple of things re: where funds go. First, PSF publishes their financials and all grants publicly every year. If you look at the last few pages of each Spring Magazine at the links below you can see a summarized breakdown of revenues and expenses, including what % goes to what sort of projects. There's also a list of grants by community so you can see what communities/projects get funded with stamp money every year. It's just a summary as there's over 200 projects they fund each year but it gives you an idea of the sort of stuff the stamp money goes to.

2021 Spring: http://digital.canadawide.com/i/1379981-spring-2021/0?
2002-2021 editions: - https://www.psf.ca/about/salmon-steward-magazine

The other big issue about 'where funds go' that he mentioned is that PSF receives money each year from an endowment fund that was set up decades ago and this covers almost all of their operating costs (rent, utilities, salaries, etc) so that when someone donates to PSF about 95% goes direct to projects.

@SpringVelocity you can DM me with any follow up or i'd be happy to connect you with my friend at PSF who said he's happy to chat about any of this with you.

I think transparency is really important for any charity and I told him that they really need to improve in communicating with the public as there's lots of misconceptions / questions abound.

yup, those are the real hatchery fish that are competing. Gotta include WA/OR hatcheries in that bunch as well. BC produces something like 5% of the salmon hatchery production. The other 95% from other countries (mostly pink and chum) all end up mingling in the north pacific and based on return data there seems to be a limited food supply out there. This is not solely a BC issue. These fish don't know borders. Will take intl cooperation to solve these issues and there's a few countries that will be tough to deal with.

Back