April 1 Fishing Regs-sell your Boats!!

shes to busy shoring up votes in quebec

Media advisory​

Ottawa, Ontario – The Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, the Honourable Bernadette Jordan, along with Quebec Lieutenant and Leader of the Government in the House of Commons the Honourable Pablo Rodriguez and the Minister of Environment and Climate Change, the Honourable Jonathan Wilkinson, will make a significant announcement via a virtual press conference.
Date: Thursday, May 6, 2021
Time: 1:15 p.m. ET
Location: Teleconference – Media representatives are to dial in to the teleconference line below.
Toll-free dial-in number (Canada/US): 1-877-413-4815
Local dial-in number: 613-960-7526
Participant passcode: 9805484#

I don't think there is a decision coming, I am planning on a last trip out this weekend to try for some prawns. Then I will park the boat until July for Winter harbour. Sad that it has come to this, fishing in the spring over at Thrasher used to be one of my favorite things to do...
I’d agree with you. The PMO has made a decision to not announce any decisions on the proposal. The status quo is the best CYA strategy for this minority government.

Was the media briefing only about the new ice breakers and how it’s being shared between two shipbuilding firms? One in Van and the other Quebec

I was checked by DFO on the water this past week. From what they've heard (enforcement officers) the powers that be won't be making a decision until June. They seemed pretty incredulous....
The thing is the guys at the enforcement level have no clue what is going to happen till it does. I remember talking with them the first year of the restrictions and they all said something different about how long they would last, when they would be lifted etc. Let’s be real here, head staff at dfo probably don’t even know till a notice is dropped on their desk from the higher aboves. If you read the article recently in regards to dfo, fish farms and the minister, you’d know that the minister isn’t even getting information from the heads of dfo and dfo is ignoring its own scientists. There’s proof of this and heads should roll but no nothing even happens, not even reported in the media. Btw this “interm” decision is the decision, I guess they thought it sounded less harsh to say just wait a bit while we talk about this then July comes and oh we’ve made a decision. :mad:

So, you think the provincial and federal governments are so synced up and coordinated in their decision making?? :D
There is no way that this is even a discussion between federal and provincial governments. DFO has made a decision and this is a typical government tactic of making a decision by saying its under consideration when its not. The government will already have a date in mind (likely similar to last year). The bureaucrats will have made a recommendation and the easiest way to not deal with stakeholders is to say its in front of the Minister. The Minister's office will just claim they are reviewing things, but they are busy and have other burning priorities. The response from the Ministers office will likely be "we understand (insert group or person) concerns and are reviewing the decision we are waiting on more information we always make decisions based on science and data, right now we cannot provide a date on a decision"

Unfortunately without some professional lobbyists who have existing relationships with senior bureaucrats and ministerial staff certain stakeholders will always be left in the dark. Only thing people can do is vote or hire someone to lobby outside of the bureaucrats preferred process.

Does anyone remember the halibut slot “experiment”? It wasn’t an experiment, no data was ever collected or analyzed and we were stuck with that nonsense reg until it was superseded by harsher regs. Seems using interim regs is the new soft-sell DFO is using rather than owning their decisions ... pretty consistent with the way this Lib government seems to operate.

Cheers!

Ukee

perhaps the premier of this province should be putting more pressure on the baffoons in ottawa.... that would be a nice change. He is supposed to represent the wellbeing and best interest of this province.....

Yep, they push a restriction and everyone ******* and then accepts it as the new norm...
Sad :(
Sad but true. Our efforts aren’t changing a damn thing.
I have written many a letter to this government and the past government. Most of us have.
We’ve petitioned the inner harbour.
The sad truth is there is nothing we can do about it. Our fishing regs are being decided by someone in an office thousands of miles from here and they don’t give a rat’s butt about us. They never will.
We have to just sit back and take the scraps they toss us. Until they one day those scraps stop completely. Seems like the scraps are getting less and less these days.
I doubt will never know the honest truth behind why they dump on us.
We give so much back. BILLIONS in tourism $, taxes on boats, gear, etc. We do fundraising and volunteering for hatcheries and FFS we can’t even keep a hatchery fish.
We are 100% screwed in the b.
Sorry gang. It’s the truth. Stop wasting your time writing. The last douche didn’t read my letters and neither will this one.
In my area, all I can do is enjoy the 2 months of fishing for 8-15lb springs. Naturally you can’t catch them in areas where there are likely to be fish because for the 2 months of fishing we are allowed, they close most of those areas. Nope, they will never open them again.
Then when Chinook fishing is done we get to go out and release a bunch of beautiful healthy wild coho (likely killing some) in hopes to catch a little hatchery one.
DFO are Morons. Seems like are getting closer and closer to game over.

Sorry,

Stizz

Does anyone remember the halibut slot “experiment”? It wasn’t an experiment, no data was ever collected or analyzed and we were stuck with that nonsense reg until it was superseded by harsher regs. Seems using interim regs is the new soft-sell DFO is using rather than owning their decisions ... pretty consistent with the way this Lib government seems to operate.

Cheers!

Ukee
The Halibut slot limit was the Rec Sector's idea to implement as opposed to maintaining status quo and a really short season. And, the data is collected and modelling has been developed based on each year of slot limit performance against various slot limit approaches. It took a little while to learn how various limits performed and also how a number of variables such as weather, fuel prices, covid etc impact catch and effort.

Sad but true. Our efforts aren’t changing a damn thing.
I have written many a letter to this government and the past government. Most of us have.
We’ve petitioned the inner harbour.
The sad truth is there is nothing we can do about it. Our fishing regs are being decided by someone in an office thousands of miles from here and they don’t give a rat’s butt about us. They never will.
We have to just sit back and take the scraps they toss us. Until they one day those scraps stop completely. Seems like the scraps are getting less and less these days.
I doubt will never know the honest truth behind why they dump on us.
We give so much back. BILLIONS in tourism $, taxes on boats, gear, etc. We do fundraising and volunteering for hatcheries and FFS we can’t even keep a hatchery fish.
We are 100% screwed in the b.
Sorry gang. It’s the truth. Stop wasting your time writing. The last douche didn’t read my letters and neither will this one.
In my area, all I can do is enjoy the 2 months of fishing for 8-15lb springs. Naturally you can’t catch them in areas where there are likely to be fish because for the 2 months of fishing we are allowed, they close most of those areas. Nope, they will never open them again.
Then when Chinook fishing is done we get to go out and release a bunch of beautiful healthy wild coho (likely killing some) in hopes to catch a little hatchery one.
DFO are Morons. Seems like are getting closer and closer to game over.

Sorry,

Stizz
Taxation without representation. There is only one solution, not sure what it’s going to take for people to realize this or how bad it has to get.

I doubt anything will change. I can't see some great miracle which is going to turn around the demise of our salmon fishery and the habitat that once supported it. It's been happening for decades. The hard efforts of a few are not enough, though I very much appreciate their efforts. I don't think the majority of voters in Canada, mostly city folk will give any more than empty token care about salmon. They just don't see the importance of anything beyond cell phones and T.V.
So unless you can get use to, enjoy catch and release fishing, increased restrictions. etc. like in so many other popular fisheries, "sell your boats," I'll be watching.;)

I doubt anything will change. I can't see some great miracle which is going to turn around the demise of our salmon fishery and the habitat that once supported it. It's been happening for decades. The hard efforts of a few are not enough, though I very much appreciate their efforts. I don't think the majority of voters in Canada, mostly city folk will give any more than empty token care about salmon. They just don't see the importance of anything beyond cell phones and T.V.
So unless you can get use to, enjoy catch and release fishing, increased restrictions. etc. like in so many other popular fisheries, "sell your boats," I'll be watching.;)
i agree.. while I have never believed sending emails and letters to have any impact... If it does, we would have seen positive changes by now. It very close to my tipping point in making a decision to sell or keep my fishing boat.. It has been rigged perfectly for chinook fishing and I have spent loads of hard earned money like everyone else... Perhaps a good idea to sell now while market is hot since when the market becomes flooded by fishing boats you won't get top dollar. What a sad state we are in and what a bunch of idiots who run our gov and our fishing resources...

I vote for uprising...

i agree.. while I have never believed sending emails and letters to have any impact... If it does, we would have seen positive changes by now. It very close to my tipping point in making a decision to sell or keep my fishing boat.. It has been rigged perfectly for chinook fishing and I have spent loads of hard earned money like everyone else... Perhaps a good idea to sell now while market is hot since when the market becomes flooded by fishing boats you won't get top dollar. What a sad state we are in and what a bunch of idiots who run our gov and our fishing resources...

I vote for uprising...
Yes, if you’re contemplating selling you should do it right now

Back